Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineBene
Fun Guy
Male

Elderflower Champagne
    #12736287 - 06/13/10 01:45 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

For quite a few years now I have been making elderflower champagne, it is very easy and very cheap to make and Is an amazing drink on a hot summers day. Here in England there is a copious amount of it first blooming in mid May, early spring. the exact quantity's of ingredients are not too important and can be modified to your taste, elderflower also have natural yeast in them so this is not needed in most cases although I have found a small pinch of yeast helps speed up the fermentation process and adds a bit more fizz. Here is how I make elderflower champagne.

Ingredients to make 20 liters:

2kg of sugar (4.4 pounds)
40 elderflower heads picked on a sunny day.
8 lemmons
A pinch of champagne or dried yeast (optional)

step 1: In a large bucket dislove the sugar in about 5 lites of hot water, then make up to 20 liters with cold water.

step 2: peel and juice the lemmons, add this to the liquid along with the flowers and yeast if using. (make sure the liquid is at room temperature when you add the yeast otherwise it may kill it)

step 3: cover the bucket with muslin or bit of cloth and leave to ferment in a cool dark place for a week.

step 4: the liquid should now be fizzing slightly and should show obvious signs of fermentation(if not add yeast and leave for a few more days). bottle in to sterile high pressure bottles I use 2 liter pop bottles as these can take a lot of pressure and I can get them for 10p each down at the local store. strain the liquid through muslin or a fine sieve in to bottles, leaving a 2 inch gap at the top of the bottle.
**WARNING ELDERFLOWER CHAMPAGNE CREATES HIGH PRESSURE AND EXPLODING GLASS BOTTLE ARE COMMON, USE PLASTIC TO BE SAFE**

Step 5: Leave bottles in a cool dark place to mature. Elderflower Champagne can last a year or more and is best matured for a few months but can be drank 2 weeks after bottling.

And thats my recipe for elderflower Champagne Easy as Pie, Enjoy.....

--------------------

Froggy!

...:: Elderflower Champagne TEK ::...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblekoraks
Re: Elderflower Champagne [Re: Bene]
    #12739900 - 06/14/10 02:28 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Hah, nice! How does it taste? I always find that elderflower tastes suspiciously similar to cat piss :laugh: Nevertheless, I remember drinking a really nice elderflower lemonade once when I was 6 or so, and it was absolutely delicious.

Btw, is this a recipe from Roger Phillips' Wild Food book?

OfflineDoorsandRooms
Male User Gallery

Loc: North of the South Flag
Re: Elderflower Champagne [Re: koraks]
    #12749349 - 06/15/10 08:53 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

ey mate, thats a nice sounding project... so yeast is optional??? the elderflowers have natural yeast?????  a rubber bung (stopper) and an airlock would fix that exploding glass problem!!!!

--------------------

"Doors are a waste of time"  Val Kilmer as Jim Morrison in "The Doors"

"Fungi are a living organism that is much more closely related to mammals such as humans, than to plants. People need to quit looking at mycelium as a different kind of plant, which it isn't. Mycelium has been shown to have circadian rhythms just like mammals"  - RR

Invisiblekoraks
Re: Elderflower Champagne [Re: DoorsandRooms]
    #12750801 - 06/16/10 02:37 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

a rubber bung (stopper) and an airlock would fix that exploding glass problem!!!!

Yes, but then you'll end up with a still wine, not with champagne :wink:

OfflineDoorsandRooms
Male User Gallery

Loc: North of the South Flag
    #12751645 - 06/16/10 10:02 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

aha.  could you use other flowers as well?

--------------------

"Doors are a waste of time"  Val Kilmer as Jim Morrison in "The Doors"

"Fungi are a living organism that is much more closely related to mammals such as humans, than to plants. People need to quit looking at mycelium as a different kind of plant, which it isn't. Mycelium has been shown to have circadian rhythms just like mammals"  - RR

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
    #12751768 - 06/16/10 10:35 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

could you use other flowers as well?

There are a lot of flowers you can use to make a good brew! But you HAVE to do your research first!!!!! Don't just go out and grab a bunch of flowers...some are very toxic!

Quote:

Beware of Toxins
At a previous home I was blessed with about two dozen crepe myrtle trees which were champion flower producers. One day I looked at the half-inch thick carpet of fallen flowers from the myrtles and decided to put them to use. I spread an old sheet under a tree and began shaking it. I was greeted with a shower of white petals. I moved the sheet to the next several trees and added pink, red and lavender petals to the white. When done, I measured three gallons of petals and set out to make an improvised wine. I was suddenly struck by the fact that I had never heard of crepe myrtle wine, so I called my county agricultural extension agent and inquired as to the potential toxicity of crepe myrtle flowers. He didn't know, but said he'd check. He called me back within ten minutes with the bad but sobering news that myrtle flowers were toxic. I learned an invaluable lesson that day. When in doubt, check it out. Since then I've learned that there are more toxic flowers than there are non-toxic ones, so I've modified that lesson-jingle to read, "When less than certain, close the curtain." Always err on the side of caution.

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/advbasic.asp

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

OfflineBene
Fun Guy
Male

#12758870 - 06/17/10 04:26 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

koraks said:
Hah, nice! How does it taste? I always find that elderflower tastes suspiciously similar to cat piss :laugh: Nevertheless, I remember drinking a really nice elderflower lemonade once when I was 6 or so, and it was absolutely delicious.

Btw, is this a recipe from Roger Phillips' Wild Food book?

Hi, No tastes nothing like cat piss, it Tastes amazing a bit like a really fruity light champagne, with an incredible amount of FIZZ, Try it and see!
No its not from Roger Phillips' Wild Food book it is a creation all of my own thanks.

--------------------

Froggy!

OfflineBene
Fun Guy
Male

#12758891 - 06/17/10 04:30 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

DoorsandRooms said:
ey mate, thats a nice sounding project... so yeast is optional??? the elderflowers have natural yeast?????  a rubber bung (stopper) and an airlock would fix that exploding glass problem!!!!

Yeah it does have natural yeast in it so should work without, but a pinch of yeast definitely helps it along the way if you have some spare, it very cheap on ebay though. An airlock would not be helpful as it would let all the Fizz out and you would be left with flat champagne, just use plastic coke bottles if your not feeling adventurous.

--------------------

Froggy!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates