Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineuser_exists
Stranger
oven bags
    #1268470 - 02/01/03 01:51 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I hear all sorts of good things about millet all the time here at the shroomery but sadly all my attempts have left me with a bunch of millet stuck to the bottum of my jars and little colonization.

My idea is to use oven bags for my millet so I could easily break it up and make full colonization achievable but I don't know if oven bags are pressure cookable, are they?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHexum311
SmartNewb

Loc: NOYFB (new state)
Re: oven bags [Re: user_exists]
    #1268525 - 02/01/03 02:07 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

oven bags are not pressure cookable, at least not the normal ones bought at the store. Get some mycobags, not the ones with the crap in em allready but the empty autoclavable ones they sell at a couple places.... but I might be able to help you with your problem. What tek are you following for millet ? If you are having problems with crap sticking to the bottom of the jars... you are doing 1 of two things wrong. 1) too much water. Solution.... soak your millet overnight. the next day... bring a pot of water to a boil. dump your millet in.... turn the heat down and let the pot SIMMER for about 45 minutes. Dont let it boil violently. after the 45 minutes, drain the water. The millet will have absorbed all the water it can handle. Let it drain for an hour or so than scoop it into your jars, and PC.

2) you may not be setting your jars up correctly. MAKE SURE your lids are flipped upside down so that the rubber seal is facing up. Puncture at least one hole in the lid as well to serve as either an innoculation point, or for air transfer, depending if you are doing a multispore innoc or a transfer. At any rate my point is this. If your lids are placed on normally with no holes... the pressure canner will create a vaccuum within the jars, completely sealing them. This is bad because it will mash your shit to the bottom of the jars, making it useless. Secondly, upon opening the jar will fill itself with a massive intake of air.... thus pulling in all the nice little contams with it. So... yeah. You should be cool if you fix your probs.....

--------------------
"The shade is a tool, a device, a saviors seceret try... and look up to the sky..... but my eyes burn"
-Chino Moreno, the Deftones
peace
-Hex

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: oven bags [Re: Hexum311]
    #1268585 - 02/01/03 02:23 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

>oven bags are not pressure cookable, at least not the normal ones bought at the store.

No? Are you sure?

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: oven bags [Re: Hexum311]
    #1268592 - 02/01/03 02:27 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Here:
"Strong, Leakproof, Versatile ? made of special nylon film that provides safe, effective cooking up to 400?F in convection and conventional ovens, microwaves and steamers ? bags are also boilable."
http://www.handgards.com/html/oven_bags.html

Offlineuser_exists
Stranger
Re: oven bags [Re: Anno]
    #1268601 - 02/01/03 02:29 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I love you anno  :smile: (in a heterosexual way of course)

Invisiblewhiterasta
Day careobserver
 User Gallery
Loc: Oregon
    #1268640 - 02/01/03 02:40 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Reynolds cooking bags are fully sealable using the Tilia vaccuum sealer and also with stand P/C temps and pressure with ease(they are made to cook in DRY heat at over 300F).In addition a hole punch in two places at the top of the bag near and sealed with a fabric bandaid make a great sterile air exchange and liquid inoculation point(a standard spore syringe needle will self seal).After this run I will be switching to bags and will post pics of the whole shebang.
PS the bags that come with the sealer(Tilia) are excellent for pasturized substrates and the bandaids will also work on the slick side of the bag. I hope this helps :grin:WR

--------------------
To old for this place

Offlineuser_exists
Stranger
Re: oven bags [Re: whiterasta]
    #1268695 - 02/01/03 02:52 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

let me get this strait, the reynolds oven bags are good for the PC? like the kind I can find at most grocery stores?

OfflineHexum311
SmartNewb

Loc: NOYFB (new state)
    #1269004 - 02/01/03 04:46 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

well 400 degrees  is certainly more than a pc puts out. I was just talking outta my ass I guess.... I used  a reynolds bag to pasteurize some worm castings and straw.... that was only at 160 degrees, and although it held up, it started leaking... probly just user error though. Either way those bags arent a bad bet, but reynolds ones Im sure are way cheaper....  couldnt hurt to try :smile:

--------------------
"The shade is a tool, a device, a saviors seceret try... and look up to the sky..... but my eyes burn"
-Chino Moreno, the Deftones
peace
-Hex

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
Re: oven bags [Re: user_exists]
    #1269254 - 02/01/03 06:23 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

TRY THIS:
6T (aka Mycota) WBS Tek (Wild Bird Seed) Bulk Spawn Preparation Method.

WBS consists primarily of white millet. It is often a combination of white, red millet -& milo...... with a small percentage of sunflower seeds and sometimes tiny amounts of crushed corn. Some expensive brands are coated with a fungicide. For use as spawn material, treated WBS is not advisable.

You can find untreated WBS in 5 -10 & 20 pound bags, at low prices at most large chain grocery stores, or chain type pet supply stores. For instance, PetsMart has 40 pound bags for around $8.

Simply place whatever quantity you intend to use in a plastic pot, tub or bucket. Bear in mind, dry seed will expand about 20 to 25% - after it absorbs its capacity of water. Add tap water & soak the seed overnight. A 8 to 12 hour soak is fine. Seed soaked longer will begin to ferment. But, is still usable after soaking 24 to 36 hours.

There is no need to remove any floating husks, or sunflower seeds. These add lignin ( a good thing) & do not harbor any more possible contams than does the millet. It is all going to get thoroughly sterilized - anyway.

Once soaked, simply rinse the seed very thoroughly in a colander, or strainer. Then allow it to drain - WELL. As in 30 or more minutes. If it is drips - one drop. It is not drained - WELL.

Load pint or quart jars ? full, apply internal filter disk, material, polyfil or whatever method you use allow gas exchange through a ? or 3/8 inch hole in the lid. Screw lid on tight & back it off ? turn. Place a double layer of paper coffee filters over the lid & jar top, held down by a thick rubber band. Place the jars in the PC.

PC at 15 pounds for a full 60 minutes. 90 minutes is better, if you have the time. Allow the PC pressure to drop to zero & let it cool a bit. Open while still hot & remove jars. The paper coffee filters will dry almost instantly, when the PC is opened. Tighten lids (if necessary), shake jars to insure there are no clumps of seed inside. Place jars inside the oven on a rack, to cool, overnight. External coffee filters simply add another layer of protection to the jars content.

Once cooled to room temperature, store in a clean cardboard box - until used. Using them sooner than later is preferable. Note: This method was done in an All American PC. Some brands with a weighted pressure system require more internal water & it may be advisable to also cover the coffee filters with tin foil- while PC'ing, so no excess boiling water gains entry into the jars. Simply remove the tinfoil when you remove the jars from the PC.

Do a google search on UNICORN BAG. --I buy them there by the 1000.

6T 9aka Mycota)

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract