Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleEdame
gone

Loc: outta here
cleaning shrooms?
    #1267838 - 02/01/03 09:54 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

ok, I know a guy who was growing some shrooms a week or so ago and he's not sure how to get some of the crap off them. When he was harvesting, the shrooms often had clumps of perlite and flakes of the substrate substance on the bottoms. He cleaned about half of them during harvest by peeling the mycelium off the bottoms, and most of the perlite and flakes came off with it, but they were bruising a bit due to handling them. He was advised that handling them too much was bad, and that they should be left to dry first.

Now that the rest are dry, there are still clumps of dry flakes and perlite on the bottoms, but they are just as difficult to clean now, if not more so.
Does anyone else have this problem, or should he have carried on cleaning during the harvest? Does anyone have any advice on how he can get the rest of the crap off?

Is it going to be bad for him if he eats shrooms that may still have trace amounds of perlite on them?

--------------------
The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".
:tongue:

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
Re: cleaning shrooms? [Re: Edame]
    #1267844 - 02/01/03 09:55 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

perlite is non-toxic, but why is there perlite on the stems of the mushrooms? You should let the cake sit on a flat surface so its not touching the perlite.

InvisibleEdame
gone

Loc: outta here
Re: cleaning shrooms? [Re: daussaulit]
    #1267866 - 02/01/03 10:02 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

He was using a casing with a perlite base, and some shrooms had grown out of the base, and so were covered in perlite.

He was thinking of using an old dry toothbrush to maybe scrape off the rest of the crap (these shrooms are now bone dry).

Can someone just clarify, is it best to clean while they are being harvested, or to wait until they dry fully? Do you lose potency if you handle/bruise them too much?

--------------------
The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

Edited by Edame (02/01/03 10:04 AM)

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London
Trusted Cultivator
    #1267877 - 02/01/03 10:07 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

He was using a casing with a perlite base, and some shrooms had grown out of the base, and so were covered in perlite.

He was thinking of using an old dry toothbrush to maybe scrape off the rest of the crap (these shrooms are now bone dry).

Can someone just clarify, is it best to clean while they are being harvested, or to wait until they dry fully?  Do you lose potency if you handle/bruise them too much?

i also clean before drying, but recent threads here have seen people cleaning before, after, or halfway. someone even had a 'mushroom brush'. water the casing a few hours before harvest to pull em easier with less crap on.

--------------------
buh

Offlinemoldmaster
mold fighter forlife
Loc: contamville, Trich
    #1268156 - 02/01/03 12:15 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I take the cake and put it in a pot of water before hand. It works great!!! all of the crud is floating in the water when you take the cake out.

--------------------
Wham bam kick yo ass contam. Mold doesn't even dare to enter my shit because I have the remedy

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix