Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Wiccan's easy-as-pie Sambal Hotsauce (you can make it as mild or wild as you like)
    #12659654 - 05/31/10 07:09 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Heres my easy hotsauce recipe that you can use to make Indonesian inspired Sambal hotsauce of any heat level you desire. The sauce is meant as a food ingredient, to add while cooking. Its best to use hot pepper so that a little goes a long way.

Here's the recipe for approximately a 1 pint jar:

Wiccan's Universal Sambal Hotsauce

250 grams or 1/2 lb Hot Pepper Blend*
1 big onion
1 tablespoon sugar (tasty cane sugar preferred)
1 tablespoon olive/sesame/peanut oil
1 lemon's worth of lemon juice (fresh, not preserved crap)
3/4 tablespoon of salt
2 cloves of garlic
1 teaspoon of vinegar

Process the onion and peppers as usual, squeeze your lemon juice, put all the ingredients in a blender of food processor and blend to a homogenous mix.

Put in jars of 1 pint or smaller, stir to remove air bubbles, close, submerge in water in a cooking pot and then boil for 1 hour to preserve.

You don't have to preserve if you use a small clean jar which you keep in the fridge for 2 weeks tops and have the remainder frozen solid in the freezer.

Now about the "Hot Pepper Blend":

You can simply use any kind of fresh pepper, or mixture of fresh peppers, to make up the full 250gr/ 0.5lb of the hot pepper blend. Since this blend makes up approximately one-half of the Sambal mass, the Scoville Heat Units (SHU) rating of the sauce is approximately 1/2 of the pepper blend you use.

Hotsauces for normal people rate approximately 250-10.000 SHU, so for an all-pepper blend you are basically limited to:

Quote:

Scoville Heat Unit values of mild fresh peppers

----SHU------------Pepper------

5,000 - 10,000 Hot Wax pepper
5,000 - 10,000 Chipotle, a Jalapeño pepper that has been smoked.
2,500 - 8,000 Santaka pepper
2,500 - 5,000 Jalapeño (Capsicum annuum)
2,500 - 5,000 Guajilla pepper
1,500 - 2,500 Rocotilla pepper
1,000 - 2,000 Passila pepper
1,000 - 2,000 Ancho pepper
1,000 - 2,000 Poblano pepper
700 - 1,000 Coronado pepper
500 - 2,500 Anaheim pepper
500 - 1,000 New Mexico pepper
400 - 700 Santa Fe Grande pepper
100 - 1000 Cubanelle Pepper (Capsicum annuum)
100 - 500 Pepperoncini, pepper (also known as Tuscan peppers, sweet Italian peppers, and golden Greek peppers.
100 - 500 Pimento

But, there are alternatives for normal people who want to tame fierce peppers, and that is to use Bell Peppers (Paprika) of the appropriate color as part of the Hot Pepper Blend. Indeed, if you use 1/2lb of bell pepper and add just one ten-gram Habanero pepper, your whole pint jar will be up to 2.000-7.000 SHU which is at the feisty end of the normal sauces, and very economical.

You don't have to use fresh peppers in fact, you can easily rehydrate powdered hot peppers by pouring on boiling water and letting it sit for at least half an hour. A good ratio in this Sambal is to use 100 (or 3 oz) grams of dried pepper and pouring on 150ml (5fl oz) boiling water. Be advised that when you do this, the rehydrated pepper mash is four times as hot as the original fresh pepper and a resulting all-pepper Sambal would be twice as hot as the original fresh pepper. (in terms of total capsaicin, the added sugar and oil make it a lot more forgiving)

So much for normal people. Insane people will want to know just how hot this sambal can get.

Well, if you use rehydrated Cayenne pepper neat, 60.000-100.000 SHU. If you use fresh habaneros only, think 50.000-175.000 SHU. For rehydrated Thai Pepper (cheap at Asian shops) think 100.000-200.000 SHU and once you start rehydrating Habanero peppers your hotsauce will be a blistering 200.000-700.000 SHU. It needs to be pointed out that hotsauces over 100.000 SHU are madness even in Sparta.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblekoraks
Re: Wiccan's easy-as-pie Sambal Hotsauce (you can make it as mild or wild as you like) [Re: Asante]
    #17776364 - 02/10/13 08:26 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

I promised it, so I gotta come through: http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/17776204#17776204

Here's my rendition of sambal. Mind you, sambal is the generic term for an Indonesian chilly-based condiment, and there are as many versions of it as there are cooks. Well-known versions are (see wiki page on sambal for more info):
  • sambal ulek, the basic version featuring just chillies and a bit of salt
  • sambal manis; manis meaning sweet, which is close to the recipe Wiccan_Seeker posted (a long time ago :wink:)
  • sambal udang or sambal trasi; udang are (fermented or fresh) shrimp - in sambal, fermented shrip are usually used; fermented shrimp are also called trasi
  • sambal kecap; kecap is an Indonesian, sweet, thick soy sauce
  • sambal badjak; a sweet sambal that is cooked

The one I made today is a variation that features elements from all of the above, but unlike any sambal I know of, it also contains a fuckton of fresh cilantro ('ketumbar').

Ingredients of sambal ketumbar lunatik (mind you, the ingredients are just what I had lying around anyway, substitute anything for anything, as long as you use a lot of chilies):
  • 1 lb of lomboks (red chilies); you can control the hotness and flavor of your sambal by starting with the chillies of your choice
  • 2 large onions
  • 5 cloves of garlic
  • a couple of hands-full of coriander stalks, finely chopped. You can also use coriander leaves or coriander root, and even dried, ground coriander. I had a few big bunches of coriander that I bought for cheap, so I decided to use the stalks and save the leaves for fresh dishes
  • a couple of inches of ginger root ('jahe'), or dried and ground ginger
  • a couple of inches of laos/galangal root, or dried and ground laos
  • a couple of inches of curcuma root ('koenjit'), or dried and ground curcuma
  • 2 lemons, zest and juice
  • a disc of palm sugar, or a couple of tablespoons of any other sugar
  • a few tablespoons of kecap manis (sweet Indonesian soy sauce; you can substitute any other soy sauce)
  • half a tablespoon of ground cumin
  • a handful of grated coconut
  • a bit of solidified coconut fat (use as a thickening agent if the resulting sambal is too thin for your taste)

Chop all ingredients finely and/or grind them in a mortar and pestle.
Saute the onions for 5-10mins until nicely cooked.
Add spices (incl. garlic and lemon zest) and cook a couple more minutes.
Add chilies and cook a couple more minutes.
Add the other ingredients except for the coriander (grated coconut, lemon juice, soy sauce) and cook for 30 minutes.
Add the chopped coriander and cook 5-10 more minutes.
This makes a semi-sweet sambal with really nice, lemony notes.

Put into jars and sterilize the jars like Wiccan_Seeker described above. Although usually, the sambal will be fine for weeks or even months even if you don't cook the jars, provided you use clean jars and put the sambal in when it's still piping hot. That's why I don't worry about the bubbles of air you can see in my jar. There aren't many microorganisms that like this sort of food anyway :lol:

Pictures:

Some of the ingredients. The lemons were 7pcs for €1, the cilantro cost the same for two big bunches, and the chilies were also €1 for a big bag (ca. 1.25lbs).

1lb of chopped chillies. As you can see, I like my sambal rather coarse. Texture is good.

Halfway the cooking process, with the cilantro added but not yet cooked.

Just done cooking, note the cilantro is now fully cooked. Of course, this rids it of its delicious fresh flavor, but unfortunately, fresh cilantro doesn't preserve well at all, so I had to settle for the spicy sweetness of cooked cilantro in this preparation.

Jarred and ready to sterilize - or eat :wink:

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
Re: Wiccan's easy-as-pie Sambal Hotsauce (you can make it as mild or wild as you like) [Re: koraks]
    #17778204 - 02/10/13 03:39 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Yum, thanks for sharing guys.  There's an Indonesian inspired restaurant here in Los Angeles called The Spice Table that LiquidSmoke and I have frequented fairly often.  They use a fairly well homogenized (pasty) sambal in and on top of several of their dishes.  I love tasty heat!

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

OfflineLiquidSmoke
My title's cooler than yours DBK

Loc: S.A.G.G.Y.B.A.L.L.S.
Re: Wiccan's easy-as-pie Sambal Hotsauce (you can make it as mild or wild as you like) [Re: geokills]
    #17782270 - 02/11/13 10:09 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, I've been meaning to head back there.  I still crave the beef rendang every once in a while.

--------------------
"Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz, doin' coke, drinkin' beers.  Drinkin' beers beers beers, rollin' fatties, smokin' blunts.  Who smokes tha blunts?  We smoke the blunts" - Jay and Silent Bob strike Back

Invisiblekoraks
Re: Wiccan's easy-as-pie Sambal Hotsauce (you can make it as mild or wild as you like) [Re: LiquidSmoke]
    #17782306 - 02/11/13 10:18 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

As a quasi-vegetarian, rendang is probably one of the things I miss most :lol:

Invisibleunknown1123
Experimental

Re: Wiccan's easy-as-pie Sambal Hotsauce (you can make it as mild or wild as you like) [Re: koraks]
    #17786022 - 02/11/13 09:19 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Send me one of those red capped jars pleasse!!! :sun:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale