Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineeuphoria2123
Stranger
Lizard Kings new species and other thingies
    #1262936 - 01/30/03 05:40 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Hey, it's been awhile since I logged on last (around october of 02) and I remember seeing that Lizard King had found huge amounts of weilii as well as atlantis (is it really officially a shroom or still nom. prov (I heard it could be tampanensis so I was curious if it was actually a new species)? Did LK provide voucher specimens when he found them?

Mostly, I am really excited to find the new species that Lk found. Is it in the works for a name yet? Anyone else find it yet? It looked like young weilii to me (took alot of heat for that).

I would really love to hear from folks who know folks who've found or bioassayed this new mushroom. Sorry if I'm out of the loop but I searched and didn't find any info. I'm sure I must be just looking in the wrong place or searching wrong cuz LK is usually pretty good at posting photos. He trully must be a mycologist to have all of the experience he has. Or at least , one helluva a credit to the myco-entheogen community. Any spore-prints from the new species yet? Any definitive info reguarding habitat? I'd love to hear about any info that's been accumulated lately.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineeuphoria2123
Stranger
Re: Lizard Kings new species and other thingies [Re: euphoria2123]
    #1263039 - 01/30/03 06:17 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I want to be more specific and also remind fellow georgians that we , apparently are living in the land of plenty. Pacific NW and florida need to get to producing cuz ga is shaping up to be the US "home of the shroom". Who Knew? Double thanks to Lizard King. Here are excerpts from the pertinent threads.

From the thread "new species and lots of them":

LK: "Well for the past 3 or so weeks this mushrooms has been fruitng quite abundantly! So far I've found somehwere between 1000-2000 mushrooms this season of this species, its been incredible!"

LK: "Prints is purple, they bruise blue about as fast as weilii,..."

Lk: "Thanks for the kind words, no prints of this one just quite yet..."

LK: "I'm thinking of naming them after Mckenna, or atleast I'd like to. What do you all think about that?"

So I am curious about wether anything (at all) came of this. It's a pretty exciting devopement for us living in GA. It's pretty amazing that LK was for awhile one of the VERY few who had found weilii and just when this mushroom fruited out the yin-yang and many others found it LK managed to find 2 knew species. I'm crying that I don't know him better.

OfflinestonErollEr1
The Psilocybinsolution
    #1263289 - 01/30/03 07:45 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

There are a few p.atlantis cultures in circulation out there.
I havent heard any news on it or the other LK speices..but im sure it will be posted as soon there is any new info in this subject.

peace..

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #1263795 - 01/30/03 11:02 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Euphoria2123 wrove above,

Quote:

"I want to be more specific and also remind fellow georgians that we , apparently are living in the land of plenty. Pacific NW and florida need to get to producing cuz ga is shaping up to be the US "home of the shroom."

I would like to point out that a common lawn of P. stuntzii/P. fimetaria can produceas many as3-10,000 mushrooms on a lawn at a single time and can be picked like that every three to four days dependant on the weather conditions. The season for these blue-ringers is sometimes all year long or from June-July through February.

AS for our famous liberty cap mushrooms (P. semilanceata), a single picker in a single field can find and collect from as many as 1000 to 3000 liberty caps in a single day. This would be equal to 1 to 3 fresh pounds of shrooms. These liberty cap fields in the pacific northwest extend from Bandon, Oregon in the south of the PNW to Vancouver, British Colombia, Canada and fromt h the Cascades in the east of to the Olympics in the west. I am talking about thousands of pastures were 90% of every field with cattle grazing produce this mush which fruits from late July throgh Decenber until the frost comes. Plus the P. cyanescens, P. baeocystis, P. pelliculosa, P. subbalteatus, P. cyanofibrilosa, etc.

And the same in the fall for P. cyanescens. Single locations can yield ten to fifty pounds of shrooms. Georgia has three common varieties, P. cubensis, P. weilii and possibly Copelandia cyanescens.

The still unnamed P. atlanta or P. atlantis has only been found in small quantities onb a few ocassions. So it is not as common. AS for a patch, natral patches ten to grow back over and over while man made environments ony ususally last for three years or so.

The PNW will always be the Mushroom Capital of the World since there are more than 18 sspecies found here which contain psilocine/psilocybine.

Florida to Texas abounds with mostly P. cubensis and Copelandia spp. as the predominant magic shrooms in the Southeast U.S.A.

But the PNW rocks. Some are still finding little baby proordia, a dose or two here or there.

mj

Edited by mjshroomer (01/30/03 11:08 PM)

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
Re: Lizard Kings new species and other thingies [Re: mjshroomer]
    #1263819 - 01/30/03 11:12 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

And not to mention certain spots in Melbourne Australia that were home to over 3400 fruits of Psilocybe Subaeruginsa var. Australiana in an area that was three metres square.

--------------------

Invisiblewhiterasta
Day careobserver
 User Gallery
Loc: Oregon
Re: Lizard Kings new species and other thingies [Re: mjshroomer]
    #1264070 - 01/31/03 01:39 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Reports of an aclimatized cubensis are coming in from the great PNW also so as soon as corroborated, we'll add the cube to the list making the PNW home to the most active species not to mention the most potent.
The story from several reputable foragers is of a giant PNW cube(4-8" caps!) which fruits late spring and after the warm rains in summer and early fall.I have yet to find this "ghost" but am looking.However the ole fart who has the most reputable story is convinced that this is a large Psilocybe and two others claim to have seen this fruit near Salem,Or. where it was supposedly developed and acclimatized.As I said I have yet to see it but honestly expect to someday soon :wink:WR
PS the weilii high can be recreated by taking L-tryptophan or 5-Htp with your dose of cubes and the same with a baeo,azure or semi is a wild dream for sure!

--------------------
To old for this place

Offlineeuphoria2123
Stranger
    #1266294 - 01/31/03 04:38 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I really must apologize for the manipulativeness of my post (and this one too). I was a little shitty and the last time that I had logged on to the hunting forum I questioned LK's finds. He posted pics that had some of the characteristics of psilly's but didn't include examples of blueing. Bluing is one hallmark that just about everyone uses as a basic check to insure it is an active psilocybe. Just look at the many posts asking about blueing boletes. My questioning of his find was met with a scathing retort that hurt my massive ego. So I apologized, admitting some ignorance (in the face of his claims of huge amounts of foraging experience).

Now, to be honest, I can understand why people might make stuff up to make themselves look better in a particular community- I am guilty of the same offense back when I was about 14. I also have met people trying the same tactic much later in life. Usually they don't want to hurt anyone, they are just stealing a little undeserved attention. This is what I believe LK was doing.

LK access to weilii was because he was informed at the shroomery and found them in his yard. A long chain of events occured in his life because of this discovery. The same can be said for the individual who provided the original voucher specimens. Honestly, I can say the the reason I met that individual was because of his notoriety from that simple discovery and the actions (as well as the interest he had) he took to actually do something with it. So, back to LK, when it was made known that others found this mushroom in abundance it became necessary to "up the ante" and suddenly find more new species in the atlanta area to validate his "claim to fame". Thus, photos of huge collections of his recent weilii finds that get larger as this rainy period continues (always topping the most recent) and his find of atlantis and a new species. He even posted a "bioassay" description of the new discovery within a week. But never any bluing pictures or genuine pictures of discovery locales. Obviously, anyone who is looking the discovery of a new species in the face (and knows it) will gather way more information than what is needed. He didn't even gather the basics.

I don't mean to be a big dick in outing LK. Yeah, My ego get's satisfaction. But, to be honest, If this is a somewhat accurate picture of LK's actions and motives (his subsequent difficulties back me up as well) then I have more in common with LK than I'd like to admit.

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1266413 - 01/31/03 05:34 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I'd consider my self to be somewhat of a personal friend of LK's. I've met him before and we talk on the phone every once-in-a-while. He's a very nice, very smart guy. He just has a knack for finding mushrooms, he's got what it takes.

As far as the new species and Ps. atlantis goes, he has sent specimens to a few mycologists and universities to see if they were a previously identified species. So far everything has indicated that it is, in fact, a new species. I also believe he has done the same with the supposed Ps. atlantis he found.
I haven't heard much about them recently, LK has been absent for a long while. He has offered several times to take me to pick the new species, but I did not get a chance to take him up on the offer last season... perhaps I'll get the chance this season.

Regarding the absence of pictures to support the bluing, at one point in time he did, in fact, post pictures of the new species bruising intensely blue. Unfortunately these pictures were hosted on a different website, and it looks like he's cleaned out that directory recently, thus the pictures don't load.

So to sum things up: Yes, everything so far has indicated that he has found 1 (if not 2) new species, and Ps. atlantis. This was not some stunt to make him appear "bigger and better" than the other people finding Ps. weilii.

It's the real deal and that's all there is to it.

Anonymous

#1266481 - 01/31/03 06:02 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Re: Lizard Kings new species and other thingies [Re: ]
    #1268651 - 02/01/03 02:42 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Not to mention the wealth of undiscovered/described gyms local to Australia that are only now getting interest. Ive found atleast two unknown gyms with unique spore and cystidia and I know that a friend in WA has made similar discoveries.

--------------------

Offlineeuphoria2123
Stranger
Re: Lizard Kings new species and other thingies [Re: Gumby]
    #1269281 - 02/01/03 06:37 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Hey Gumbydude, I am sure that LK is a great guy (although I haven't met him). One reason why I posted, what I posted (other than personal egomania) was that I really feel that it is important for the average joe to be able to back up a find.

In many ways the mushroom community is similar to the astronomy community. The stars are amazing to look at and many of us love gazing at the night sky.

Astronomy, like mycology is only really interesting to a few. The few that love to look for that little bit of natural magic, the few that like to wonder and enjoy 'searching'. Most of the discoveries come from amateurs (I hope like LK) who like to gaze and search (and wonder) and search. These discoveries, when amateurs have them, are pretty amazing and most importantly, validating. Many amateur astronomers and mycologists enjoy a hobby not appreciated (and suspected) by most folks. When something of magnitude comes along then it is a great opportunity for validation (and confirmation) among the community. Noone says: "yeah , I discovered this, prove I didn't" . What they say is "Hey, I've been working and I lucked out, check this out to make sure I'm not crazy". And then they provide the details.

Apparently, LK wasn't really a part of a community like this. To me this means that he wasn't really a part of the myco community. Perhaps he just became really involved in the "shroomery" community and thats all. If he's as talented as you say (wouldn't surprise me, ignorance can be a bitch) then he would have been a credit to the myco community. That means that LK was part of community that only heralded....what? The first to discover a great (greater) way to get high. I refuse to believe that. No doubt , on the shroomery, innovation is heralded as a way of 'getting high' but this is only an end result. Innovation and creativity are obviously appreciated. If this site were only an ends to a means it would have died long ago.

If LK really did discover, or assist in discovering, some new species, and he didn't make it known (to the best of his ability) how fellow amateur shroomers could find and validate his claim, then he's just plain selfish (and deluded about what just finding a mushroom means). Noone is asking for gps coordinates, just the basics reguarding identification of these supposed new mushrooms. Like I have said, I honestly believe that most of it is a little white lie told to support a position in the shroomery community that he didn't believe he deserved.

If you have any real, solid info to contest this (Other than 'I know him he's great. He sent this here and they are saying that this is this') point of view then send it. Send it along with info for the shroomery community to validate (and benefit from) his finds. I don't believe it exists.

Anonymous

Re: Lizard Kings new species and other thingies [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #1269301 - 02/01/03 06:46 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
    #1269311 - 02/01/03 06:52 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Gyms take over the forests! Another friend of mine carved out the inside of a stem and built a 300 room mansion in it!

I'm moving there!!! The bolete I live in is full of maggots. :crazy: 

Offlineeuphoria2123
Stranger
    #1269350 - 02/01/03 07:13 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah I've heard  a rumour about gyms up there. One story goes that folks go out in mid february to prepare a plot in the dirt. They start by digging about 2 feet down (after clearing aside any debis) and then layer a sheet of 4 by 6 (or whatever dimension the cheap particle board at home depot is) then add a two inch layer of humus rich soil followed by another sheat of pb. They add a gym from the year before (doesn't even matter if it's dead and dry as long as it has gills) then continue the layering same as before from the bottom. The top is a cased mixture of sawdust and humus rich top- soil.  In about 8 months , you get little 'jimmies' (they call'em) popping up. They don't mature but they are potent and do blue when bruised.  At this point it's good just to put some sawdust down  Wait about two months and that's when the real bonus starts. This is when the big fat, tough and fibrous but heavy and potent gym's start to form. It takes about 2 and a half weeks (usually-depends on gym strain) for the first flush (I've heard from 2-6 weeks but my friends say younger rather than older) to completely mature.
tichs*. Your mileage may vary. euphoria2123

Really, I'm just kidding. Like my friends would actually eat a gymnopilus species :wink:.
No they set up the growth matrix like I said and then set wire squirrel traps up in the middle of the fruiting gyms. Then they wait. Patience is a virtue but it helps if a sprinkler or a prism is available to create a rainbow over the plot of jimmies.  After a while, little blue 'shroomfs' come out and start filling up the squirrel traps. They are so stupid, they keep trying to find the gold at the end of the Gym-rainbows (and in the meantime subsist on the shrooms).  Once the traps are full my ohioan friends usually feed them for a few weeks on the gyms and then feed them bug powder for a few hours till they fall asleep. Then they deep fry them (the sound of the 'shroomfs' waking up while being deep-fried is tragic but hilarious). A little breading and some blue cheese and you have the makings of a psychedelic as hell super-bowl.

Definitions:
"tichs" - "T.his I.s C.omplete H.orse S.hit"
the above is 'tichs' and completely made up by euphoria2123. I have no friends in ohio and don't know shit about gymnopilus species.

Edited by euphoria2123 (02/01/03 07:58 PM)

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
    #1269442 - 02/01/03 07:57 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Mr_Mushrooms, ROFL.
you guys are too much.

ps, yeah, those ohio gyms are a pain. they let a fruiting get out of controll in downtown columbus park and it took over the Nationwide insurence plaza, knocking over the AT&T building. it was a terrible mess.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Anonymous

Re: Lizard Kings new species and other thingies [Re: canid]
    #1269446 - 02/01/03 07:58 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #1270005 - 02/02/03 03:45 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Hello everyone,

The discoverer of P atlantis has now moved out of the area,
That person revealed to the Lizard his private picking locations, of 3 different species (so as to continue collecting these specie);

1 weilii (in lawns)
2 atlantis (stll nom prov)
3 and also a third Psilocybe of which i do not think was yet named,,

The Lizard had already been finding weilii in lawns and under baby sweetgum trees
After being shown atlantis by its original discoverer, Lizard then set out and found yet Another psilocybe specie of his own

So, so far there is weilii, atlantis, and two (2) more species that we are unsure of, =4

Durng LK's season of 2002 he was colllectng all these species and printng them for their spore deposits,
-Amist all the chaos (and around the time they began speculating that they were finding tampanesis) these prints were mis-labeled as atlantis and a few people quickly cultivated them and then began the circulaton of even more of these unidentified mystery shrooms,

GG

Offlineeuphoria2123
Stranger
Re: Lizard Kings new species and other thingies [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #1271434 - 02/02/03 02:41 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Ah-ha, Great One you are most wise,
And seem to tell the true tale.

Much of what I said was wrong but still a little bit right. So , I bow deeply and humbly to your greater wisdom and to LK I bow deeply in apologies for assumptions I have made.

I hope that all info about the progress of these finds through the process of examination is made available to everyone. It's just cool stuff to know and learn about for everyone. I am just so sick of secrets kept just to prop up the ego. Isn't one of the trully greater experiences the mushroom has to offer the dissolution of ego? I'm working , slowly and often ineffectively, on mine, but it is a constant process.

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

#1272074 - 02/02/03 07:08 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Its hard to determine species on macroscopic details alone - the first step is get spore measurements and have the cystidia examined. If this doesnt help, isozyme analysis could delineate it or include it under and existing species pretty much conclusively.

--------------------

Invisibledurban_poison
myco contractor
    #1275760 - 02/03/03 07:13 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

yeah last I heard goodale park was engulfed in gyms, they had to shut down neil.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds