Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineTds
WHERES MY WATCH?!
 User Gallery

Loc: England Flag
    #12598818 - 05/20/10 03:17 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Ok, so I just wanted a few opinions on this one.
During a break today someone in my class piped up that she believed in karma. I said "I'm not really one for reincarnation". It only escalated from there.
The only 'type' of karma I've been aware of was the belief that whatever you do in this life contributes to the next.
I saw in the robbery thread someone said "just let karma take care of them" which I didn't quite get.

I was asking her about how she justified this belief. (not in a mean way, genuinely interested). She said that if I steal something, something of mine will go missing. She said it's physics, like every action has an equal reaction.
I don't understand. I get the idea of "what goes around comes around". But what governs these rules? It's not science.

Do you believe in karma? How does that work?

--------------------
Colonisation complete.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinewowcoolman
MysteriousStranger

Re: Karma [Re: Tds]
    #12598825 - 05/20/10 03:18 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I was unsure about karma until I did dmt. now i'm certain it's just another law of physics

--------------------
"F*** visuals we're sinking every last penny into the sound system!" - Amon Tobin

InvisibleCosmic

Re: Karma [Re: wowcoolman]
    #12598840 - 05/20/10 03:21 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

There are many laws of the physical world we haven't scientifically proven yet. Six hundred years ago people thought the world was flat. We may very well discover that karma is a fundamental law of physics, just like Newton's law of action and reaction. In my *experience* your actions definitely have consequences, beneficial or detrimental.

--------------------
"I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do."

OfflineFrost
Inside a locked room
Male User Gallery

Loc: Florida Flag
    #12598842 - 05/20/10 03:21 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Somebody put it in a way that made some sense to me in another thread, I'm not saying I buy into it 100% but there's no denying it seems to fit together nicely sometimes.

Quote:

redgreenvines said:
karma is the internal leveller
feelings are involved:
the feeling of pleasure is resultant of good karma
the feeling of pain is resultant of bad karma

indifference is resultant of neutral karma.

the roots of bad karma are hatred, greed and delusion
the roots of good karma are love, generosity and wisdom/clarity

suffering of pain is alleviated with good karma and intensified with bad karma. basic eastern psychology. I think it works,
but not necessarily via re-incarnation into subsequent bodies.
it is particularly effective within the life span.

it is not so much about what happens, but how what happens is translated into feelings (particularly pain or pleasure).

It came from this thread on Karma: http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/12455684#12455684

--------------------
“I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens.
I've been knocking from the inside.” - Rumi

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” - Carl Sagan

Offlinewowcoolman
MysteriousStranger

Re: Karma [Re: Frost]
    #12598872 - 05/20/10 03:26 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

i believe Karma exists in the sense that the Human as a species is in fact a Single Organism.
perhaps not even humanity but sentience as a whole construct.

--------------------
"F*** visuals we're sinking every last penny into the sound system!" - Amon Tobin

OfflineGanjabonga
Chief
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
    #12598884 - 05/20/10 03:28 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I have always loved the idea of karma and how it works, and there are times where I can swear I just got a kick from karma. My scientific and spiritually beliefs kinda battle over that one... The idea of karma is great and if it were real the world would always have this equalizing, self balancing effect. Definitely a feeling and idea my mind has battled over.

OfflineButteredToast
it'sfuckingbutteredtoast
 User Gallery

#12598916 - 05/20/10 03:33 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

it's physics

:facepalm:

I don't believe in karma in the typical "bad things will happen to a bad person".. bad things happen to bad people because, for the most part, a bad person is going to put themselves into a bad situation where something bad is likely to happen to them, that's common sense.
I believe in karma in that if I do simple, kind, things for other living things- 'god','the universe', whatever, will repay me with good fortune.
Earlier today I was having a cigarette with a friend, I look down at the gutter and notice a ladybug was drowning in the water, I went out of my way and got it out of the water. Simple stuff like that.

Edited by ButteredToast (05/20/10 03:34 PM)

Offlinewowcoolman
MysteriousStranger

Re: Karma [Re: Ganjabonga]
    #12598917 - 05/20/10 03:33 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

thang about karma, is that there is no objective "good" or "bad" and that it's all defined by people. so if someone were to do something someone else would consider "bad" but with good intentions on their part "i.e. the 911 hijackers", it is uncertain the karmic outcome of such a thang

--------------------

OfflineButteredToast
it'sfuckingbutteredtoast
 User Gallery

#12598930 - 05/20/10 03:35 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I suppose only some sort of higher power could really judge between "good" and "bad".

Offlinewowcoolman
MysteriousStranger

Re: Karma [Re: ButteredToast]
    #12598943 - 05/20/10 03:38 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I'd say that Logic is the highest power

logic, however, is based on intuition

--------------------

Edited by wowcoolman (05/20/10 03:39 PM)

OfflineBambi
Friendly Forrest Animal
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Karma [Re: ButteredToast]
    #12598959 - 05/20/10 03:41 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I believe in it. There are always little things that happen to me that i believe are the forces of karma. The other day i bumped into someone on purpose on my way to sit down. When i sat down i hit my knee. Another day i made a joke at my friends expense and seconds later i got the hiccups, then i thought "oh that was karma" so i told him i take it back. Didn't have another hiccup after i said that.

I just always have these little things that happen to me after i do something that is mean and uncalled for.

--------------------

"I want to read, talk with my friends via the computer, and enjoy my life now that people know I'm not dead. " -Rom Houben

OfflineManianFH
living in perverty
 User Gallery

Re: Karma [Re: Bambi]
    #12599149 - 05/20/10 04:12 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

i dont know how it works, but it does in a way.

I think if even subconsciously you believe you did something wrong (say stealing from another), even though you arent aware of your guilt, you will find a way to get punished, or punish yourself, for your action.

--------------------
notapillow said: "you are going about this endeavor all wrong. clear your mind of useless fear and concern. buy the ticket, take the ride, and all that.... "

ChrisWho said: "It's all about the journey, not the destination."

Offlinewowcoolman
MysteriousStranger

Re: Karma [Re: ManianFH]
    #12599173 - 05/20/10 04:18 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

what if the thing you stole was emitting a deadly chemical(JUST for the sake of argument, let's say a Taxidermy gone array).
and the act of stealing the item actually saved a life...

yet the person who did the stealing would have died from the deadly chemicals

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom