Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinePeace_Patrol
Rambling hippie
Loc: Electric Neverending
Erowid on CBS?
    #1253914 - 01/27/03 02:51 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Hey peoples....
I just went to erowid.org and it was going really slow, and it had a message on the front page saying that the server was overloaded because of shitloads of people going to the site after a CBS item on it...does anyone know what thats about? I live in New Zealand so I don't even know what CBS is...was this on the net or on televison? I'd like to find out what they were saying about erowid...and maybe they mentioned the shroomery too? Even if they didnt there is surely a link to the shroomery at erowid, so it kind of effects here too I guess...
Any links or info on the CBS article would be good. I'm just bored and interested.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedanlennon3
LivingIsEasyWithEyesClosed.....
Male User Gallery

Loc: usa
Re: Erowid on CBS? [Re: Peace_Patrol]
    #1253920 - 01/27/03 02:53 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

there was a show on cbs about a kid who OD'd and claimed he got info from erowid.. stupid ass kids od'ing

--------------------
"Psychedelics should be used not to escape reality, but to embrace it"

Invisibledee_N_ae
\/\/¡†¢h |-|øµ§³ ¢å†
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Shadow of Neptune
Re: Erowid on CBS? [Re: danlennon3]
    #1253925 - 01/27/03 02:54 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Who was this kid?

OfflineLegoulash
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Erowid on CBS? [Re: dee_N_ae]
    #1253929 - 01/27/03 02:56 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Some stupid kid who didnt Listen to Erowid.

Offlinerommstein2001
Rise ye Must!
 User Gallery

Loc: South GA
Re: Erowid on CBS? [Re: Legoulash]
    #1253956 - 01/27/03 03:04 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Those fucking asshole uneducated stoner kids will be the death of the internet drug community. (never thought i could use that manyadjectives in one sentence didja?)

--------------------

OfflineCrass
Explorer of theMind

#1253969 - 01/27/03 03:08 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Debate On Recreational Drug Web Sites

(CBS) "I thought, you know, hallucinogens were fun things to do on a Friday night," says a young man, who does not want to be identified.

The drug overdose that almost killed him came from an exotic combination of chemicals and plants that promised the high of his life.

He says the recipe for how to mix what he took came from an Internet site called Erowid.org.

Erowid.org is just one of a growing group of Web sites devoted to recreational drugs. There are links to everything, from how to make GHB to how to test ecstasy for purity.

But, as CBS News Correspondent Wyatt Andrews reports, Erowid's reports on side effects, on precise doses and its long list of recipes make it the encyclopedia of altered states.

It's well known on college campuses.

The young man who almost overdosed says: "I've seen kids with the drugs in their hand looking up doses all the time."

"I was stunned at the volume of information there," says Dr. Ed Boyer, an emergency room physician at the University of Massachusetts.

Boyer was on duty the night the young man came in unconscious. Boyer is worried about these Web sites being used by the young.

"I don't believe it's responsible for children," says Boyer. "It's just too hands on - too much of a cook book.

"Too much of a cook book for some of the substances."

But Boyer also uses sites like Erowid to stay current on the drug abuse he may have to treat.

"I use Erowid all the time," he says. "Every physician I know, every law enforcement person I know who wants to find out the very latest in drugs goes to Erowid."

The authors of the Erowid site declined an on-camera interview. But they defended their work by e-mail, writing: "We are a library" with "no interest in encouraging anything but learning and care."

Rick Doblin, who runs an ecstasy Web site, is friends with the authors of Erowid. The sites, he argues, are designed only to give the good and the bad of recreational drugs, not to encourage drug use.

"We believe the decision to use or not use drugs should be in the hands of the individual," says Doblin. "I think providing access to tools is not the same as encouraging people to use them."

For the young man who overdosed, and his parents, it's a cautionary tale about the freedom of the Internet. The Web gave him access to unlimited information, but that included a brand new way to flirt with death.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/01/27/eveningnews/main538154.shtml

Invisibledee_N_ae
\/\/¡†¢h |-|øµ§³ ¢å†
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Shadow of Neptune
Re: Erowid on CBS? [Re: Crass]
    #1254008 - 01/27/03 03:22 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

This is your brain.....

Quote:

This is your brain being programmed...
Quote:

For the young man who overdosed, and his parents, it's a cautionary tale about the freedom of the Internet. The Web gave him access to unlimited information, but that included a brand new way to flirt with death.

:mad: :mad:
And these are educated journalists?  I only assume so because whoever wrote that has a job with CBS, but damn...... 

OfflineShrewDigsby
Toker
Male User Gallery

Loc: Shrewtown somewhere near ...
    #1254055 - 01/27/03 03:42 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

"The Freedom of the Internet." -Well, sounds like CBS doesn't believe in our freedom.
"Access to Unlimited information," -Within this context CBS is putting a negative shadow on the notion of free availability to information.

I'm deducing that CBS feels that the library is a safer form for accessing unlimited information....hey, don't public libraries offer public internet access...and these libraries are run and supported by gov't tax dollars...Why not recognize youths flirting w/ death by accessing this information at the library? Libraries have been public domains for unlimited and free information since the americas were colonized.....What a fk'd web CBS decided to weave, and all just for trying to sound journalistically profound and clever.

--------------------
Marijuana is a horticultural plant.  Hemp is an industrial weed.  I believe they were both provided to us by GOD to use and enjoy.

Edited by ShrewDigsby (01/27/03 04:19 PM)

OfflinePeace_Patrol
Rambling hippie
Loc: Electric Neverending
    #1254125 - 01/27/03 04:13 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks for the article, crass! Man, that just makes me so angry! And anger isn't what its all about, damnit! Too bad it wasn't specific on what the guy actually took...what I want to know though is why are people so keen on tarnishing accurate information with propaganda? If you ask me, this person has obviously not actually listened to erowid as someone said above, but has only used it as a way of finding a cheap high for the fuck of it. But even then, why couldn't he have just learned his lesson and moved on? Who takes these things to CBS? This article is truly offensive as far as the purpose of the vaults of erowid...it is a site which is there to educate people so that they can make their own informed descisions, I know I myself have found it very useful over the years. This person that the article is about has obviously made his informed descision, he wanted to get really high and took it too far...he chose to disrespect these sacred chemicals and use them in a recreational setting like alcohol, and he got bitten in the ass.
This doesn't mean that erowid is a harmful site. It's just yet another confirmation that even more education is needed to stop dumb fucks like this OD'ing and giving halluinogens even more of a bad image...ok and I'm rambling...

InvisibleXibalba
Stranger
    #1254478 - 01/28/03 05:25 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

> exotic combination of chemicals and plants

WTF??

OfflineBavet
Sensitive StonedRebel

Re: Erowid on CBS? [Re: Xibalba]
    #1254743 - 01/28/03 06:52 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

There was a 10 year old on some talk show today saing he was addicted to pot lol unreal damn kids so damn stupid

--------------------
"~Dream as if you'll live forever....live as if you'll die today~ James Dean"

Offlinerecalcitrant
My Own God

Loc: Canada West
    #1255154 - 01/28/03 08:58 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

> exotic combination of chemicals and plants

WTF??

sounds maybe like ayahuasca with an otc maoi? can you get maoi's over the counter? anyway, it probably didnt even come close to killing him, he probably just threw up so much and the trip scared the living shit out of him so much he thought he was going to die. I mean, its not uncommon to take a drug and think its going to have killed you.

imean, if the drug had actually been lethal, they would have said which drugs they were

--------------------

We have to answer our own prayers

OfflineFred Garvin
Male Prostitute
Loc: The northern part of sout...
    #1255183 - 01/28/03 09:09 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I watched this piece on CBS, and I thought it was a pretty balanced story overall. Yeah they start out with the fucking moron who overdosed, and CBS had a bit of an attitude, but at least they gave some views from doctors who use erowid to stay abreast of new drugs, dosages, trends, etc. The admins from erowid did not want to be interviewed, but a guy from an ecstasy website affiliated with erowid was interviewed, and he said basically that erowid is a library of information, and that they do not encourage drug use. I came away with the impression of it being a cautionary tale to parents about watching out where their kids surf on the internet, which is a good thing, in my opinion.

--------------------

The above statements are just the incoherent babblings of your friendly neighborhood Cracker!

Shur drinkin kils brane sells--but only the week ones!!

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
Re: Erowid on CBS? [Re: Fred Garvin]
    #1255248 - 01/28/03 09:29 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I,for one,will never watch CBS again....oh,wait,I don't watch it anyway.Sorry...carry on.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

OfflineFred Garvin
Male Prostitute
Loc: The northern part of sout...
Re: Erowid on CBS? [Re: monoamine]
    #1255276 - 01/28/03 09:36 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Don't usually watch it myself, but got a tip that this would be on, so I tuned in for curiousity's sake. Glad I did.

--------------------

The above statements are just the incoherent babblings of your friendly neighborhood Cracker!

Shur drinkin kils brane sells--but only the week ones!!

InvisibleXibalba
Stranger
Re: Erowid on CBS? [Re: recalcitrant]
    #1255311 - 01/28/03 09:51 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

That's what I was thinking too, unfortunately- in which case I'm very glad they didn't mention it by name. Dumb fuck makes ayahuasca because he thinks it would be a "fun thing to do on a Friday night," and is in no physical danger but receives a well-deserved guided tour of hell, calls his mom who calls an ambulance. Goes to the hospital, they treat it as a poisoning, he's fine the next day. Learns nothing whatsoever from the experience. Sells Erowid down the river to yellow journalists, jeopardizing the ability of thousands to access the information he was too lazy and ignorant to bother to read there himself.
Two weeks later eats 3 boxes of Dramamine ( I hear it gets you fucked up real good, man! ) and wanders onto the train tracks.
(Sigh... one can only hope.)

Problem is, there are no 'chemicals' in the ayahuasca recipes, and even a large overdose would not cause unconsciousness.

Quote:

1. Take 2g of ground P. Harmala (no preparation needed) orally.
2. Grind 20g M. hostilis in coffee grinder to a fine, purplish powder.
3. Create mixture of 30-40% RealLemon(tm) and water. Stir in M. Hostilis and bring to a simmer for 15 minutes. Stir frequently.
4. Filter purple liquid through colander or mesh strainer.
5. Add remaining plant matter to a new lemon juice & water mix and stir for another 15 minutes.
6.Take remaining 1g P. harmala.
7. Drain off liquid into cup (should fill it up about halfway) and drink quickly.
8. Wait 15-20 minutes. Retch.
9. Retch some more.
10. Try to regain your composure and balance after dry-heaving.
11. Lie back and listen to some didgeridoo music.
12. Begin to think you're dying, being devoured to the clean-picked bone by a school of rainbow piranhas, submerged in the hell-realms suffering brutal tortures and repeated dismemberment at the teeth and claws of the blood-dripping minions of Lord Yama and various ferocious Mezoamerican deities like Tezcatlipoca simultaneously.
13. Experience a complete and utter ontological meltdown at the face of imminent death. Recognize if the 'huasca kills you now you'll be caught in one of the hell-bardos for a minor eternity due to your accumulated bad karma. Keep repeating your name to remind yourself that you have a body. Shower repeatedly to wash away the overwhelming forces of evil fighting over your soul ? in between rounds of projectile diarrhea. Marvel at just how full of shit you are.
14. Panic, but try to remind yourself that time is your ally, even though each moment seems like an eternity of suffering. Remember that"this too shall pass." Believe this with the greatest skepticism.
15. Continue this way for several hours, wondering all along if you'll actually be able to come out of the hell-worlds intact.
16. Wake up the following morning, swearing off psychedelics for at least a very long while, still fearful of inadvertently re-invoking this terrifying state of consciousness.
17. Go to bed the following night and reexperience this realm of consciousness during the hypnagogic state and nearly die of fright that you'll wind up in an ontological cul-de-sac someplace, dribbling down your chin until your time is up.
18. Eat LOTS of red meat, drink alcohol, lots of Tamasic foods. Try to get grounded. The quotidian banality of three dimensions can be a sane human's best friend.
19. Finally, several weeks later, look back on the experience without feeling a lingering sense of terror.
20. Begin to regain some perspective. Consider trying 'la purga' again under the supervision of a very experienced shaman able to help those less experienced to finally conquer these treacherous realms (as must ultimately be done). One must go into the breach again to be fully cured.
21. Maintain a VERY HEALTHY respect for the Vine of the Soul, recognizing that it can kill, regardless of what they say about tryptamine neurotoxicity. The tryptamines won't kill you; the heart-stoppage from unmitigated terror can, though.

Edited by Xibalba (01/28/03 09:52 AM)

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

#1255354 - 01/28/03 10:10 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

It's not like you can get the ingredients for ayahuasca at the corner store.I don't ever remember seeing Mimosa rootbark or phalaris grass at Wal-Mart.

Did this dumbass actually overdose and go in cardiac arrest and all that good stuff,or did he just take too much and freak out and went to the ER?

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

#1255360 - 01/28/03 10:13 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

What a bitch.He sold out Erowid.

--------------------
Douglas Adams

InvisibleXibalba
Stranger
    #1255364 - 01/28/03 10:14 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Well, typing the word into Google brings up 3 "sponsored Links" selling plant ingredients, all one needs is a credit card.

I didn't see the report and it sounds like it was unclear to begin with. But I'm guessing the latter.

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

#1255421 - 01/28/03 10:31 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Well, typing the word into Google brings up 3 "sponsored Links" selling plant ingredients, all one needs is a credit card.

Yeah,your right.It's not like you can just take a bunch of household shit and make drugs like a lot of these "news" stories make it to be though. If you have enough intelligence to go online,look up the ingredients,order the prerequisite stuff,and make it,you should be smart enough to find good enough info on dosages and start out slowly.I'm glad this dumb ass had a bad trip.Maybe he learned to treat mind bending hullcinogens with the respect they deserve.

--------------------
Douglas Adams

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom