Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblehamloaf
Pork Block
Male User Gallery

Loc: ation is turned off.
Trusted Cultivator
Preparing Rye Grains/Berries for Sterilization in Your Pressure Cooker! * 8
    #12517524 - 05/06/10 03:21 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

In this thread I will be going over step by step how I prepare rye grain/berries for sterilazation in the Pressure Cooker. The kind of rye I am using is winter rye grains/berries that plants in the fall and grow through the cold season.

There are several different types of grains..
Quinoa, Barley, Rice, Wheat, Cereal Plant, Seed, Oat, Rye, Buckwheat, Corn, Millet, Long Grain Rice ...more

If you would like to know more..
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/6222770/2/istockphoto_6222770-all-types-of-grains.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.istockphoto.com/file_closeup/food-and-drink/6222770-all-types-of-grains.php%3Fid%3D6222770&usg=__ThHW3XGyKTerBomdpOs8xYn48uo=&h=380&w=329&sz=126&hl=en&start=1&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=Z70Bj60wyTMDIM:&tbnh=123&tbnw=106&prev=/images%3Fq%3Ddifferent%2Btypesof%2Brye%2Bgrains%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG%26tbs%3Disch:1

The rye grains you see here is grown by a local farmer who does not apply pesticides or fungicides of any kind to it. It is not organic, however, due to the fact that the rye was grown with chemical fertilizers. I can live with that.. Plus @ 50 pounds for 10 dollars while Winter Rye grains/berries is out of season.. I will take it. Even at the cost of the 120 mile round trip to go get it.

I will be filling 12 quart sized reg-mouthed mason jars with 1 cup of rye a piece.

That is approx. enough rye berries to fill your jars 2/3rd the ways full. More or less grains can be fit and I am aware of this. This is a good place to start till you begin rounding those learning curves.

First you will begin with the rinse. The purpose rinsing is to wash off the dirt and dust to discourage clumping and sticking of your grains.

Rinse:
Fill your sterilizer, boiling pot, or pressure cooker up to about 2/3 the way full of hot tap water.

Next measure out your grains then pour them into your hot tap water..

After you have your grains in the hot tap water, you will next want to agitate your grains in the hot tap water to separate all the dirt and dust from your grains..

After this step your grains will appear in the water like this.

Dump dirty water and repeat rinse process 3-5 times.

or until the water is clear.

Your next step is going to be adding gypsum.

You use a tablespoon for 10 cups so you will want to use quite, a liberal table-spoon for 12 cups of rye berries.

The purpose of adding gypsum is to provide calcium and sulfur to your grains, both beneficial nutrients to mushrooms. Also you will be adding gypsum to further discourage your gains clumping and sticking together after they have been pressure cooked.

Now your grains are ready to soak for 4-24 hours. Do Not let your rye soak for longer than 24 hours. IMHE soaking for longer than 24 hours will cause your rye to become mushy and burst easy in the rapid boil step or pressure cooker..

After your grains have soaked for 4-24 hours it is now time to bring your soaked rye to a rapid boil for ten miutes.
DO NOT place room temperature grains into 212 degree boiling water because this will cause your rye to rapidly expand from going from cool to very hot, suddenly and hence burst. You will want to start your rye on the stove in the same container they have been soaking in..

To begin your rapid boil turn your stove on to high and place your soaking grains on to the flame to bring to a boil..

While waiting for your grains to boil, you will want to come along every couple of minutes or so or come along more or less, to agitate your rye to disperse the heat evenly through out the rapidly heating water.

Once boiling..

Set a timer for ten minutes and begin the countdown..

At the end of the countdown turn off stove.

Next place your colander in the sink and turn on the cold water. If you have PVC plastic drain pipes turning on the cold water will protect your pipes from the hot water being poured down the drain.

Next you will dump your water and grains through and into your colander..

Stir or agitate your piping hot rye with a large cooking spoon to release the moisture from the surface of your rye via the steam..

Here is a look at what your fully hydrated rye will look as opposed to your dry rye..

After all of your steam releases from your rye it is time for you to check your moisture content using the toilet paper method...Place your finished rye on a square of toilet paper and set your timer for 15 seconds then begin your timer..

After the fifteen seconds is complete. Dump your rye from the toilet paper and if you moisture content is correct there will no visible moisture content on the toilet paper.

If you followed the steps above correctly, congratulations. Your rye is now ready to be placed in to mason jars or spawn bags..

Place grains in Pressure Cooker and pressure cook at 15 pounds per square inch for 90 minutes...(250 degrees ferinheight)

Once timer is done, Turn off your stove and let pressure cooker and jars cool to room temperature, gradually over night. Once your pressure cooker is cooled to room temperature your jars/bags are ready to be taken out and inoculated..

--------------------

How I Get Stuff done. - My Reference Guide. - My Grows.

Edited by LiquidMyce (05/09/10 12:40 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineaudiophoenix
Find Peace
Male User Gallery

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Preparing Rye Grass Seed for Your PC. [Re: hamloaf]
    #12517679 - 05/06/10 03:49 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

:congrats: Awesome dude, Favorated

--------------------

OfflineDharmatripper
Deceased

Loc: Over here
Re: Preparing Rye Grass Seed for Your PC. [Re: audiophoenix]
    #12518920 - 05/06/10 07:58 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Hey, nice pictorial.  I noticed you say to use 10% gypsum to rye ratio but that is for bulk subs.  If you were using 10% ratio for your grain jars you would be dumping over a cup of gypsum in there and not a heaping tablespoon (1 tablespoon isn't 10% of 12 cups).  Just a minor detail--great tek!

--------------------
This is not me...

InvisibleTacoHerder
Bluedavenger
Male User Gallery

Re: Preparing Rye Grass Seed for Your PC. [Re: Dharmatripper]
    #12519063 - 05/06/10 08:21 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

good job, nice write up. added it to the link in my sig:super:

--------------------
TO ALL CULTIVATORS, EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/10899385
We need more member like mycochef, he is truly a kind giving person. Just ask Noobie, mycochef hooked him up big time!
Fastest Cultivation WINNER!!!! NoOneKnowsHowToAct won it twice, must be doing something right:super:

Shoot me a pm if you would like a powerful custom laser built. :smile: 4th pic is a 1.3W 445nm laser burning thru some plastic makeup containers. Yes I was wearing proper safety goggles, otherwise I would be blind right now.

Edited by TacoHerder (05/06/10 08:22 PM)

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Preparing Rye Grass Seed for Your PC. [Re: TacoHerder]
    #12519096 - 05/06/10 08:28 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Nice job..but these are not rye GRASS SEED. Rye berries and RGS are very very different.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/3135444#3135444

And I use winter rye berries. I'm pretty sure you can use all three..but I know winter is the same.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Invisiblegus330
Stranger
Male

Loc: south Flag
Re: Preparing Rye Grass Seed for Your PC. [Re: TacoHerder]
    #12519105 - 05/06/10 08:29 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

just curious whats the difference in Perennial Ryegrass..then the other kinds and does it make a big difference

--------------------
favorite links

Invisiblehamloaf
Pork Block
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Preparing Rye Grass Seed for Your PC. [Re: scatmanrav]
    #12521423 - 05/07/10 09:39 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

scatmanrav said:
Nice job..but these are not rye GRASS SEED. Rye berries and RGS are very very different.

And I use winter rye berries. I'm pretty sure you can use all three..but I know winter is the same.

I checked your link and stand corrected on the rye grass seed label. I had the two confused.., I just got off the phone with my rye dealer and she told me the same things as you.. Winer rye grains/berries is what I have and you too. The terminology "berry" comes from wheat berries. Other wise you would walk into a rye dealer and ask for WINTER RYE GRAINS

There are several different types of grains..
Quinoa, Barley, Rice, Wheat, Cereal Plant, Seed, Oat, Rye, Buckwheat, Corn, Millet, Long Grain Rice ...more

If you would like to know more..
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/6222770/2/istockphoto_6222770-all-types-of-grains.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.istockphoto.com/file_closeup/food-and-drink/6222770-all-types-of-grains.php%3Fid%3D6222770&usg=__ThHW3XGyKTerBomdpOs8xYn48uo=&h=380&w=329&sz=126&hl=en&start=1&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=Z70Bj60wyTMDIM:&tbnh=123&tbnw=106&prev=/images%3Fq%3Ddifferent%2Btypesof%2Brye%2Bgrains%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG%26tbs%3Disch:1

When I first began my search for viable rye grains I talked to an older man who works at one of my local ma & pa nurseries that I frequent and he knew about the specific rye grains needed for mushroom cultivation. He is also the one who actually pointed me in the direction of my new rye dealer. I could have swore he explained Perennial Ryegrass seed as the rye I needed but I guess my memory has served me incorrectly on this. Would not be the first time nor do I doubt it will be the last. Either way you cut the mustard you and I both have the correct RYE GRAINS so in the end all works out just peechy keen.

I have made the proper edits and corrected spelling. Thank you Scatman. That's good lookin' out. Don't wanna just leave false information out there, dangling and hanging.

--------------------

Edited by LiquidMyce (05/09/10 12:39 PM)

OfflinePsuper
Psilocybin

Loc: PNW
Re: Preparing Rye Grains/Berries for Sterilization in Your Pressure Cooker! [Re: hamloaf]
    #12521497 - 05/07/10 10:10 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

hamloaf said:
The kind of rye I am using is rye grass seed.....we do not use any of the rye grass seeds.

You're mixing up terms in your thread. 

Cultivators do use rye seed.  Which is different from rye berries.

Quote:

hamloaf said:
Quote:

scatmanrav said:

I checked your link and stand corrected on the rye grass seed label. I had the two confused.., I just got off the phone with my rye dealer and she told me the same things as you.. Winer rye grains/berries is what I have and you too. The terminology "berry" comes from wheat berries. Other wise you would walk into a rye dealer and ask for WINTER RYE GRAINS

When I go to my "rye dealer" (AKA: the store:wink:) rye berries are called rye berries. You said in your above post you were using rye grass seed anyways- so which one did you actually buy?

To any new readers here, rye grass seed and rye berries will require a different prep. method from one another.

Quote:

hamloaf said:
Now your grains are ready to soak for 4-24 hours. Do Not let your rye soak for longer than 24 hours. IMHE soaking for longer than 24 hours will cause your rye to become mushy and burst easy in the rapid boil step or pressure cooker..

Why only soak for four hours? 

If you soak for longer than 24hours you can cut a couple minutes from the boiling time if need be.  I think a 24 hour soak is the best recommendation (a few reasons, easy to search why), but if someone soaks for, say, 36 hours they should still use that batch.

You should also provide links to where you got this information, but it is a good pictorial.  I've never bothered with the moisture test though, just eyeball it. ~P~

--------------------
Clinical Management of High Dose Psilocybin Sessions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbHOTIqjZLk

Invisibleprismism
 User Gallery

Re: Preparing Rye Grass Seed for Your PC. [Re: hamloaf]
    #12521561 - 05/07/10 10:32 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

hamloaf said:
There are several different types of rye grains..

I'm confused why you're calling all grain 'rye grains'...
When people say rye grain they are specifically speaking of rye berries 99% of the time. Not any of those other types of grains you listed.

--------------------
ephemeral anomalous

Invisiblehamloaf
Pork Block
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Preparing Rye Grains/Berries for Sterilization in Your Pressure Cooker! [Re: Psuper]
    #12521563 - 05/07/10 10:32 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Look again..I am aware that I was mixing up terms. I fixed all my terminology mistakes.. to answer your questions. I am using rye grains also known as berries. The term berries comes from wheat as fore-mentioned. I know what I am doing.. Don't believe me? Try this method for yourself. This particular batch of GRAINS was soaked in fact for 5 hours. Rye is not very dense and absorbs water pretty rapidly coupled with the rapid boil step 4 hours is all that is needed for a soak with rye grains in particular that I have found. No real links can be provided on where I got my information, except for in the post(s) above. This method is is derived by me through a learning curve of a few years trying several different grain preparation methods and grains.
Rye dealer? Rye Store? You say tomato, I say tomato..

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Preparing Rye Grains/Berries for Sterilization in Your Pressure Cooker! [Re: Psuper]
    #12521607 - 05/07/10 10:40 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Hes using rye berries (as seen in the pictures) and you read a half edited post while hes getting his terms straitened out. Perhaps the info about the rye grass seed is just better removed.

We do occasionally use rye grass seed..and any of the three mentioned work..but you do need to prep it differently and I suggest against it, unless you know what your doing. But dont just use RGS because you cant find rye berries.

A 4-24 hour soak is also what I would recommend. Why 4 hours? If your in a rush..cutting 10-20 hours off the soak process can be done. Grain prep takes time, this can cut some away. Why no more then 24? It gets nasty stanky stuff. But you can still use it after 24 hours..I think he just mentioned the range you should stay in is 4-24..which is what I try to follow. Ive left it soak for 5 days before though and it worked.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Invisibleprismism
 User Gallery

Re: Preparing Rye Grains/Berries for Sterilization in Your Pressure Cooker! [Re: hamloaf]
    #12521611 - 05/07/10 10:43 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

hamloaf said:
This method is is derived by me through a learning curve of a few years trying several different grain preparation methods and grains.

Three months ago you said you didn't know how long to pressure cook grain. And that you're new to this. Then a thread right after that asking what FAE was..Just calling you out on this so called years of grain experience...
I find it's best to soak all the different grains for at least 12 hours. This cuts the rate of any contamination to almost nil. And the reason most people simmer instead of boil is because the slower increase in temperature decreases the amount of exploded grains. And each grain is very different when it comes to how long it takes to get them fully hydrated. Wbs is the fastest, rye berries takes longer, then corn taking the longest.

--------------------
ephemeral anomalous

OfflineChasawah
Stargazer
Male

Re: Preparing Rye Grains/Berries for Sterilization in Your Pressure Cooker! [Re: prismism]
    #12521624 - 05/07/10 10:47 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Can WBS be done without any
pH modifiers?

I dont know what Im looking for or where to look when it comes to gypsum and oyster shell, ect....

Invisiblehamloaf
Pork Block
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Preparing Rye Grains/Berries for Sterilization in Your Pressure Cooker! [Re: prismism]
    #12521641 - 05/07/10 10:52 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

This account was created by another. It was shared at first but for the last month, month and a half, give or take a week. it has all been I. I appreciate the inquisition I can see how this would be confusing.. This is just the way that this cookie crumbles. One thing I did to signify this was change our now my avatar.
I have no reason to B.S. anyone..

--------------------

Invisibleprismism
 User Gallery

#12521670 - 05/07/10 11:00 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Right on, that makes a lot more sense.

--------------------
ephemeral anomalous

OfflinePsuper
Psilocybin

Loc: PNW
Re: Preparing Rye Grains/Berries for Sterilization in Your Pressure Cooker! [Re: Chasawah]
    #12521694 - 05/07/10 11:07 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Chasawah said:
pH modifiers?

Yeah.  Follow a good tek:
http://www.shroomery.org/9030/Docs-Wild-Bird-Seed-Tek

Quote:

Chasawah said:
I dont know what Im looking for or where to look when it comes to gypsum and oyster shell, ect....

I have an unfinished writeup in my journal that will answer some of your questions on bulk substrates.  As far as where to purchase, just pick up a phone and call around to local nurseries and (if you have one) hydroponic shops.  I go to a Feed & Seed, the health food store (for rye berries), the hydroponics shop, local nursery, and pharmacy for most of what i need that's available locally. ~P~

--------------------
Clinical Management of High Dose Psilocybin Sessions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbHOTIqjZLk

Offlinefungus_tao
Hah Zah!
Male User Gallery

#12521797 - 05/07/10 11:36 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Awesome tek. Very thorough :mushroom2:

--------------------
Follow the light
The Light is your guide.

Invisibleanti-flag
one man army

Re: Preparing Rye Grains/Berries for Sterilization in Your Pressure Cooker! [Re: fungus_tao]
    #12521996 - 05/07/10 12:27 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

:electrickoolaid:

--------------------
DISCLAIMER * I do not, in any way, shape or form buy, sell, trade, cultivate, manufacture or use ANY illegal or questionable substance. Any and all postings made from my trade name or user name is purely for entertainment purposes. Any pictures uploaded under my trade name or user name have been created by artificial means and/or from images gathered from the internet and other sources. ANY STATEMENTS MADE ARE FORMED FROM THEORY AND REGURGITATED FROM SOURCES FOUND ON THE INTERNET AND/OR BOOKS, MEDIA AND FILMS, and should not, in any way, be considered truth

Invisiblehamloaf
Pork Block
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Preparing Rye Grains/Berries for Sterilization in Your Pressure Cooker! [Re: scatmanrav]
    #12531639 - 05/09/10 12:45 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

prismism said:
Quote:

hamloaf said:
There are several different types of rye grains..

I'm confused why you're calling all grain 'rye grains'...
When people say rye grain they are specifically speaking of rye berries 99% of the time. Not any of those other types of grains you listed.

Fixed. I must have had rye grains all over the mind in the moments I was typing this.
Quote:

scatmanrav said:
Hes using rye berries (as seen in the pictures) and you read a half edited post while hes getting his terms straitened out. Perhaps the info about the rye grass seed is just better removed.

We do occasionally use rye grass seed..and any of the three mentioned work..but you do need to prep it differently and I suggest against it, unless you know what your doing. But dont just use RGS because you cant find rye berries.

Agreed. Removed.

Thank you prism and scatman for straightening out my terminologies.. This post was made possible in part by the both of you..

--------------------

Invisiblehamloaf
Pork Block
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Preparing Rye Grains/Berries for Sterilization in Your Pressure Cooker! [Re: Chasawah]
    #12531833 - 05/09/10 01:29 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Chasawah said:
pH modifiers?

If by PH modifiers you mean gypsum, the answer to your question is no, for gypsum is not a PH modifier.
Gypsum

adds calcium and sulfur when added to your WBS and substrates. Both are beneficial nutrients for mushroom growth. Gypsum also aids in discouragement of clumping together of your WBS after your WBS has been sterilized through the PC @ 15 psi for 90 minutes.

--------------------

Edited by LiquidMyce (05/20/10 04:47 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate