Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebiglo
Shroomery BabySitter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: US of A
Growing, growing, growing, keep them cubies growing...
    #1247379 - 01/25/03 05:55 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Alrighty, its ben a couple of days now into my grow and there are a few issues I've had. The first thing I want to take care of is drippage in my setup. I currently have a 100W heater supplying all the heat and humidity in my incubator/soon to be fruiting chamber. I have a few jars that are almost ready to be birthed, and I was planning on moving the jars that are still colonizing to a different area. The one problem I have is that I have a lot of water droplets forming all over the top of the rubbermaid lid. They are making my perlite very soggy, which I have to replace, and would prolly be bad for cakes if large drops fell on them when they are ready to fruit. A picture of my setup is located here:

I had two solutions in mind. One, a drip shield, but I don't know what I would make it out of, the ideal solution is one that curves towards the middle, so that excess water can drip back into the bowl in the middle of the setup, that the heater is in. The second solution would to put a lid a few inches above the bowl, so that most of the droplets form on the lid directly above the setup. The only problem with this is that I'd imagine droplets would still form on the top of the rubbermaid lid anyways.

Finally, it appears that one of my cakes may be showing signs of contamination on some of the uncolonized rice. I wanted to try and cut the contamed part off of the cake and birth it by making it into a small casing. I have a container perfect for a one or two cake casing, but I would like to know if I could make this one cake casing just with the cake and some perlite. My idea would be to put an inch of wet perlite with some H202 at the bottom, and the crumbled cake on top of that. Should I also put a small layer of perlite on top of that, or could I do without a top layer of perlite? I can't get vermiculite and perlite's been working fine so far, so please, no suggestions about using vermlite. Any other suggestions for this one cake casing, minus vermlite would be appreciated, as this is my first grow for cakes and casings.

PS It looks like 3 cakes are just about ready for frutiing, 3 others look very promising, one may have contamed, and the other two are about halfway there, living on a prayer that they finish colonizing before the nasty's get them. We'll see.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
Re: Growing, growing, growing, keep them cubies growing... [Re: biglo]
    #1247386 - 01/25/03 05:59 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Elevate one end of your fruiting chamber by an inch or so. The condensation will run towards the low end rather than drip.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

OfflineAngry Mycologist
Spontaneouslycombusting

Loc: Galapagos
Re: Growing, growing, growing, keep them cubies growing... [Re: dog]
    #1247472 - 01/25/03 06:47 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I like that dog....hadn't thought of that.  I'm used to shaking my lid out everytime I go to fan.  Works fine for me.  :grin: 

--------------------
The proper penalty of ignorance, which is of course that those who don't know should learn from those who do... - Plato

Invisibled1giPhux
Stranger
Re: Growing, growing, growing, keep them cubies growing... [Re: biglo]
    #1249324 - 01/26/03 02:10 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Another solution i have heard of, is rub something like vaseline or something on the lid of your tote or whatever your using and that way the water wont collect on the top. Im pretty sure this would work.

Offlinegee_bone
Seeker FromNature

Re: Growing, growing, growing, keep them cubies growing... [Re: d1giPhux]
    #1249332 - 01/26/03 02:23 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

The vaseline thingy doesn't work so well, on reports from those who tried it.

At any rate:

I had the same problem, everyone has, luckily two things will happen: You can get 90% humidity in your tanks with very little drippage. When you top 90%rh you start getting a lot of drips.

SO..... right now your warming resevoir is giving off tons of humidity. Not necessary right now because you are incubating, in fact I have found it to be counterproductive/contams in overwet, uncolonized substrate (humidity gets into the holes and wets down the whole thing).

BUT..... when you are fruiting you will lower your temp in that chamber by around  10F and that means that less water molecules will be heated past the vapour barrier, meaning less humidity. You may even have too little humidity if you didn't have perlite. Now there will be some drips, but it will be less exagerated and quite manageable at that time.

FOR NOW.... put a layer of cling wrap over most of the water resevoir (tupperware with water and heater in it), lower the surface area of heated water that is entering the atmosphere. This will clear up most worries for humidity when colonizing, and will allow you to fill the resevoir less frequently.

Peace :tongue: 

--------------------
Dissidents are punished far more by themselves than by society.

OfflineChills420 version2
Poo Pie Maker

Re: Growing, growing, growing, keep them cubies growing... [Re: d1giPhux]
    #1249345 - 01/26/03 02:58 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Another solution i have heard of, is rub something like vaseline or something on the lid of your tote or whatever your using and that way the water wont collect on the top. Im pretty sure this would work.

not a good idea. it will cause mutation on the fruits.

--------------------

You may say Im a dreamer,
but Im not the only one,
I hope some day you'll join us,
And the world will live as one.

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Growing, growing, growing, keep them cubies growing... [Re: Chills420 version2]
    #1249354 - 01/26/03 03:08 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Quote:

not a good idea. it will cause mutation on the fruits.

not true.

--------------------
buh

Offlinefugu
Pooh-Bah

Loc: istanbul
Re: Growing, growing, growing, keep them cubies growing... [Re: shirley knott]
    #1249361 - 01/26/03 03:16 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

i noticed that the mushes that grown with high humidity are more potent then others but with high humidty and with so much dung mixes sometimes bores. i just put a case near others ,just made with peat and verm .anyone cares.

--------------------
mushroom culture history making ...Mr. Allan is the best .....

Offlinefugu
Pooh-Bah

Loc: istanbul
Re: Growing, growing, growing, keep them cubies growing... [Re: fugu]
    #1249367 - 01/26/03 03:22 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

i want to try the firstaid bandages for this time .if i got a humidity problem .tomorrow i will see if it works

--------------------
mushroom culture history making ...Mr. Allan is the best .....

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck