Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinexpander33
Stranger
ecuador growers
    #1242783 - 01/23/03 10:57 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I was wondering if any of you out there are currently growing successful p.c. ecuadors using the pf-tek method. If you are then can you tell me were you ordered it from because over the last 6 weeks i got 3 ecuador syringes from hawks eye and they always die in my jars. I dont know if its my procedure or the syringes so id like to get more from a different place knowing they are good from the consumers so I can experiment to see were my fault lies. I been doing this for a while so I dont think its my procedure but bad syringes

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleEthnoJimmy
Voyage thegalaxy

Re: ecuador growers [Re: xpander33]
    #1242792 - 01/23/03 11:02 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I have heard nothing but good from Hawk's Eye as a vendor. If it's been 3 separate syringes, then it's probably the way you're preparing your jars. Personally, I order from The Little Guy, but my first order which was for Eq's was placed at www.earthstongue.com
Again, Hawk's Eye is a reputable vendor and even if 1 syringe had gone astray, I don't believe that all 3 of them would have fallen victim to contams, of course it's possible but....
Are you PC'ing your jars?

--------------------
Don't walk behind me, I will not lead?
Don't walk in front of me, I will not follow?
Just walk beside me and be a friend.

Edited by EthnoJimmy (01/23/03 11:03 AM)

Offlinemetalchimp
bionic monkey

Loc: Cambridge, England
Re: ecuador growers [Re: EthnoJimmy]
    #1242835 - 01/23/03 11:16 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

i got my ecuadors from mush mush

Offlinexpander33
Stranger
    #1242842 - 01/23/03 11:18 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Yes i pressure cooked my substrate for 30min at 12psi...no contams,,smells fresh,,my problem is that the white fugus in my jars turns brown in the center first and spreads out to the edges of my fungus colony...is this dryness...i had enough water trust me

InvisibleEthnoJimmy
Voyage thegalaxy

#1242852 - 01/23/03 11:22 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

By white fungus, I hope you mean mycelium. If you're getting full colonization and THEN getting contams, what are you incubating the jars in? That could be your source for contams. You're keeping the lids on the whole time? Not opening it up to look inside or anything like that?

--------------------
Don't walk behind me, I will not lead?
Don't walk in front of me, I will not follow?
Just walk beside me and be a friend.

Offlinexpander33
Stranger
    #1242913 - 01/23/03 11:42 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Yes im refering to mycelium,,and no i dont open my jars at all,,the lids are on pretty tight with the holes covered in one jar and not covered in another jar to experiment.. I keep one jar at 75f and another at 85f and they both start getting a brown spot in the center of the colony after a few days they start. the jars smell fresh with no foul oder what so ever..so i dont think its contams especially since i pressure cook...well back to the drawing board

OfflineAngry Mycologist
Spontaneouslycombusting

Loc: Galapagos
    #1242924 - 01/23/03 11:45 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

What is your substrate recipe?

--------------------
The proper penalty of ignorance, which is of course that those who don't know should learn from those who do... - Plato

OfflineODhaze
outdoorhaze

Loc: in the haze
    #1242951 - 01/23/03 11:51 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

hey,

you say you definatley had "enough" water, do you think it could possibly be to much water?

i have had similar problems before with brown spots, i came to the conclusion that is was water damage, it was usually brown/yellowish.

it could be happening from within the substrate though, maybe your substrate is packed to hard?

i dunno, just some ideas :smile:

-outdoorhaze-

--------------------
I believe i will go out to the seashore, let the waves wash my mind. Gunna open up my head now just to see what i can find...

Offlinexpander33
Stranger
Re: ecuador growers [Re: ODhaze]
    #1243014 - 01/23/03 12:09 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

In my 1/2 pint jar I have 1/2 cup fine grade verm. 1/4 BRF and 1/4 water (sometimes a tad more) then pressure cook for half hour at 12 psi.
Dont know how much more detail i can give you guys.

Offlinexpander33
Stranger
    #1243027 - 01/23/03 12:14 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

and no i dont pack it..just tap it lightly underneath the jar..by the way the water i use is very clean water also its 10f outside but 80-85f inside my house..thats really all the detail i can possibly give out on my procedure.

OfflineAngry Mycologist
Spontaneouslycombusting

Loc: Galapagos
    #1243038 - 01/23/03 12:17 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Try experimenting with a bit less water. As was stated before, that usually causes the "tanning" you are talking about.

--------------------
The proper penalty of ignorance, which is of course that those who don't know should learn from those who do... - Plato

Offlinexpander33
Stranger
Re: ecuador growers [Re: Angry Mycologist]
    #1243312 - 01/23/03 02:01 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

the brown spots that smell fresh is called tanning huh? caused by little too much water? well okay i havent tried adding less water yet. ill try it thanks guys.

OfflineSkryllz
Resident lurker
    #1243369 - 01/23/03 02:17 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

You might try cooking your jars a little longer too. I'm no expert but 30 minutes doesn't sound long enough to me. My PC only cooks at 10 PSI but I cook everything for atleast an hour, 80 minutes if I'm doing grains and I have yet to lose a jar.

Offlinexpander33
Stranger
Re: ecuador growers [Re: Skryllz]
    #1243432 - 01/23/03 02:33 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Well i used to PC my jars for an hour before i got those brown spots. Then i started to PC for 1/2 hour and I still got brown spots. I always used the required amount of water too. Works for everyone else but me. But i still havent tried the "add less water" experiment yet to get rid of those brown spots. I hope adding less water works cause if it dont then I'll have no other way of preparing my substate differently...except get something other than an ecuador syringe..such as B+ and cambodia. peace

Invisibledeanofmean
mycophagous

Loc: PNW
    #1243450 - 01/23/03 02:38 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

at what % colonization is this happening ? if you have been using the same brf for all batches, that could be a suspect too .

OfflineSkryllz
Resident lurker
    #1243463 - 01/23/03 02:41 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

You could also try something other than PF jars. Millet works great, and it's hard to get the water content wrong. Just put some millet in a large container generously cover it with water then soak it for about 24-36 hours, drain it in a collander for about an hour, load it into your jars and PC for about 70 minutes. Soaking the birdseed for 24-36 hours builds up endospores that help fight contams.

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
    #1243688 - 01/23/03 03:49 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

EQ is a great stain. Try this with a syringe.

6T WBS Tek (Wild Bird Seed) Bulk Spawn Preparation Method.

WBS consists primarily of white millet. It is often a combination of white & red millet - with a small percentage of sunflower seeds and sometimes tiny amounts of crushed corn. Some expensive brands are coated with a fungicide. For use as spawn material, treated WBS is not advisable.

You can find untreated WBS in 5 -10 & 20 pound bags, at low prices at most large chain grocery stores, or chain type pet supply stores. For instance, PetsMart has 40 pound bags for around $8.

Simply place whatever quantity you intend to use in a plastic pot, tub or bucket. Bear in mind, dry seed will expand about 20 to 25% - after it absorbs its capacity of water. Add tap water & soak the seed overnight. A 8 to 12 hour soak is fine. Seed soaked longer will begin to ferment. But, is still usable after soaking 24 to 36 hours.

There is no need to remove any floating husks, or sunflower seeds. These add lignin ( a good thing) & do not harbor any more possible contams than does the millet. It is all going to get thoroughly sterilized - anyway.

Once soaked, simply rinse the seed very thoroughly in a colander, or strainer. Then allow it to drain - WELL. As in 30 or more minutes. If it is drips - one drop. It is not drained - WELL.

Load pint or quart jars ? full, apply internal filter disk, material, polyfil or whatever method you use allow gas exchange through a ? or 3/8 inch hole in the lid. Use 2 holes in your lids, one in the center & one offset ( when you innoc, do it through one hole, then - tape it over). Screw lid on tight & back it off ? turn. Place a double layer of paper coffee filters over the lid & jar top, held down by a thick rubber band. Place the jars in the PC.

PC at 15 pounds for a full 60 minutes. 90 minutes is better, if you have the time. Allow the PC pressure to drop to zero & let it cool a bit. Open while still hot & remove jars. The paper coffee filters will dry almost instantly, when the PC is opened. Tighten lids (if necessary), shake jars to insure there are no clumps of seed inside. Place jars inside the oven on a rack, to cool, overnight. External coffee filters simply add another layer of protection to the jars content.

Once cooled to room temperature, store in a clean cardboard box - until used. Using them sooner than later is preferable. Note: This method was done in an All American PC. Some brands with a weighted pressure system require more internal water & it may be advisable to also cover the coffee filters with tin foil- while PC'ing, so no excess boiling water gains entry into the jars. Simply remove the tinfoil when you remove the jars from the PC.

Here is what you end up with.

And if you use that spawn in a good bulk substrate, you can get EQ's like this.

Or other strains like this:

6T :grin: :wink: :tongue:

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

InvisibleIDontGrow
insomniac

Re: ecuador growers [Re: deanofmean]
    #1243976 - 01/23/03 05:35 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

wow.... :smirk: :wink:

--------------------
work of fiction

http://www.thenook.org/

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: ecuador growers [Re: Skryllz]
    #1245287 - 01/24/03 06:46 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Soaking the birdseed for 24-36 hours builds up endospores that help fight contams.

actually i think it germinates bacterial endospores so that their "shields" aren't up when you PC and they die like the pigs that they are. (as opposed to germinating post-PC and destroying your hard work)

Offlinebjkroll
Addict

Loc: Detroit
Re: ecuador growers [Re: debianlinux]
    #1245615 - 01/24/03 08:49 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

First EQ's I had were at EarthsTongue.

--------------------
"Everybody who's famous sucked the dick to get where they are today.
The only difference between us and them? We swallowed it." - Jimmy Urine

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules