Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Anonymous

Evolution
    #1241869 - 01/23/03 04:51 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I had this christian biology teacher in 10th grade who spent a few days showing us why evolution was scientifically and biologically impossible.  And for a while, I've considered myself an anti-evolutionist based on the points he presented.  But at the same time, I think "come on man, look... evolution definitely happens.. .somehow".  Anyway... if someone would like to convert me to evolution, that'd be appreciated...  :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineEarth_Droid
Stranger
Re: Evolution [Re: ]
    #1241883 - 01/23/03 04:54 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

How the hell can anyone proove it to be impossible, I would love to hear that one.  Maybe if I am up to it later, I will attemp to brainwash you into beleiving evolution, but not until later.  :wink: 

OfflineAndytweed
Andytweed

Loc: Colorado
    #1241885 - 01/23/03 04:55 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

There's a 1% difference between Gorilla DNA and Human DNA.
How can you not believe in evolution?

--------------------
All Information posted by me is for entertainment purposes only and should not be attempted in real life!!!

Anonymous

Re: Evolution [Re: Earth_Droid]
    #1241907 - 01/23/03 05:01 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Well.... his arguments were based on the idea that random mutations are nearly always fatal or detrimental, and when they're not, they're usually neutral. His argument was that there is no way that random chance beneficial mutations are responsible for the plethora of life on Earth. I mean... species change, yes. Dogs certainly descended from wolves via a genetic mutation. But what about such huge differences as different numbers of chromosomes? It's been a good while since I've had a bio class. Someone please prove my old bio teacher wrong...

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
    #1241912 - 01/23/03 05:02 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I think that the concept of evolution is just man's flawed way of labeling something that he cannot comprehend.

--------------------
:heartpump: { { { ṧ◎ηḯ¢ αʟ¢ℌ℮мƴ } } } :heartpump:

Offlinediggitydankman
No longer aCannabisConnoisseur

Loc: Michgan
    #1241954 - 01/23/03 05:14 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Scientists that are doing the Human Genome project have suggested that almost all DNA may have more to it than previously thought. Ideas speculating about evolutionary codons and sequences that are continuously trying to evolve our DNA have began to become more credible. Also our DNA is thought to have a sequence that can fix bad mutations.

--------------------
"It's only wrong if you get caught.
If consequences dictate
my course of action
I should play GOD."

Maynard James Keenan, Tool

Anonymous

#1242143 - 01/23/03 06:21 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Check out these links:

http://www.trueorigin.org//isakrbtl.asp

http://www.trueorigin.org/theobald1a.asp

The debate between trueorigins.org and talkorigins.org is pretty famous on the Internet as far as this topic is concerned.  Read the dialectic between them and make up your own mind. :smile:

Enjoy! :smile:

OfflineEarth_Droid
Stranger
    #1242148 - 01/23/03 06:27 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Well.... his arguments were based on the idea that random mutations are nearly always fatal or detrimental, and when they're not, they're usually neutral. His argument was that there is no way that random chance beneficial mutations are responsible for the plethora of life on Earth. I mean... species change, yes. Dogs certainly descended from wolves via a genetic mutation. But what about such huge differences as different numbers of chromosomes? It's been a good while since I've had a bio class. Someone please prove my old bio teacher wrong...

The process of evolution is not random. It is very quick to correct mistakes it makes such as deaths. Do you think it is random chance that we exist? I don't really know what to say about prooving him wrong. This reminds me of a quote though, what the thinker thinks, the proover prooves. The brain will go on and try to create a reality map based on an individuals thoughts. So if someone is stuck in there beleives of christianity and not willing to accept science, it would be very hard to change his mind. Just do some research on evolution, and Timothy Leary. All the information is already available.

Offlineribbit
up till dawn

#1242933 - 01/23/03 11:46 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

if you havn't heard by now..

we were created by aliens...

the Raelians say so.    :grin:

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
    #1243801 - 01/23/03 04:30 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

You must be easily persuadable to believe this one person's theroy. Think for yourself, question authority.

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

Offlineshaggy101
Male

Loc: ..still waiting for godot
Re: Evolution [Re: Adamist]
    #1243830 - 01/23/03 04:44 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

I think that the concept of evolution is just man's flawed way of labeling something that he cannot comprehend.

that is perfect.. We seem to miss the reason we study history if we truly believe all facets of our own theories.

Offlinerommstein2001
Rise ye Must!
 User Gallery

Loc: South GA
Re: Evolution [Re: shaggy101]
    #1243906 - 01/23/03 05:08 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Why are only two theories in play??? there has to be another way... evolution is stupid... lots of evidence against and for it.... creation is not much better, although i believe something had to do something to creat life as we know it... any other theories.

--------------------

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: Evolution [Re: rommstein2001]
    #1243996 - 01/23/03 05:42 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

It would seem that there is some sort of progression/change/evolution of species. However, current theories appear inadequate to explain just how such changes come about.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

OfflineEarth_Droid
Stranger
    #1244172 - 01/23/03 07:02 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Well man has to start somewhere, and I certainly can comprehend the idea of evolution while I am tripping. Some of the yogis can comprehend it normally. We already are starting to learn a lot about DNA, so I think it is good to have a theory on evolution.

Offlinesirreal
devoid
Loc: In the borderlands
    #1244597 - 01/24/03 12:50 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Yeah.I see what you mean.

I see design in all this.How did the first flying creature evolve? It would have taken countless mutations to make that happen! Not very many would have been beneficial. There is no way those mutations could be sustained! I believe in evolution. But I also believe that there is a design to life and order to evolution.

I see what you mean as well Earth droid.But we have become biased and exclusive in our "theories". That makes us ignorant!

--------------------
I may not always tell the truth, but atleast I'm honest
-----------

I see what everyone is saying. It is so hard to form an opinion when you see both sides so clearly!

Edited by sirreal (01/24/03 12:53 AM)

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: Evolution [Re: sirreal]
    #1244602 - 01/24/03 01:00 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

"How did the first flying creature evolve? It would have taken countless mutations to make that happen!"

There's a really good documentary about the steps involved in evolving a lot of different traits.

In one of the installments, they show the progression of bugs whose legs act as paddles to skim on water, to the point where these paddles grew into wings.

"There is no way those mutations could be sustained!"

Why not? Billions upon billions upon billions of mutations are happening now. The majority will just result in insignificant changes, some will be detrimental, but a few are providing an advantage.

If you actually have an understanding of it, you will realize that evolution does a very good job of explaining the origins of life. It is a far more complex subject than I'm sure most of you believe.

Most of the time I see even people who believe in evolution arguing for it, they don't seem to understand how it works.

(By the way, it's called the "theory of evolution", believing in it like it's a religion is an insult to science.)

It's a far better theory than the alternative. A magical man in the sky created us out of nowhere? I think I'll give evolution the benefit of the doubt on this one.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: Evolution [Re: Phluck]
    #1244750 - 01/24/03 02:56 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

(By the way, it's called the "theory of evolution", believing in it like it's a religion is an insult to science.)

Word.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

#1244932 - 01/24/03 04:18 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

"Well.... his arguments were based on the idea that random mutations are nearly always fatal or detrimental, and when they're not, they're usually neutral. His argument was that there is no way that random chance beneficial mutations are responsible for the plethora of life on Earth."

The main problem is that, as a Christian, he probably believes the Earth is only 12,000 years old. If that were the case, evolution as we know it couldn't have happened. However, these mutations have been happening for billions of years.

Offlinesirreal
devoid
Loc: In the borderlands
Re: Evolution [Re: Phluck]
    #1245029 - 01/24/03 05:05 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

"some magic man in the sky"? It seems to me that you have a very primitive understanding of creation! That is not what I believe. And evolution is a theory because no one knows how it works. Not even you.I believe that evolution as I understand it is plausible. If an intelligent creative force is factored into the equation!

--------------------
I may not always tell the truth, but atleast I'm honest
-----------

I see what everyone is saying. It is so hard to form an opinion when you see both sides so clearly!

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
    #1245051 - 01/24/03 05:11 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Just look at cockaroaches. They've survived all these thousands of years through all harsh environments. Today, we use many pesticides against them, but if it doesn't kill them, they'll adapt or evolve to be resistant to it making the previous ones useless. You can see evolution at work in cockaroaches.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order