Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinethe man
still masked
Other User Gallery

Loc: C A N A D A
blewitt or blue foot???
    #12376027 - 04/12/10 01:32 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

has anyone tried to grow these or tried them??  cant seem to find spores or culture?? any experience would be great. thanks

--------------------
And Moses Said "Let my mushrooms grow!"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMycelio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Berlin Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: blewitt or blue foot??? [Re: the man]
    #12384255 - 04/13/10 09:48 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Hi,

if nobody here has a spare culture for you, ask in the hunting forum. It is quite late, but in colder areas a few might still appear and perhaps somebody will make a spore print for you.

You can grow them on the same compost as used for button mushrooms, but the mycelium is extremely slow. For more details, just search here for Lepista nuda.

This species is rarely cultivated commercially, for example here:
http://www.le-champignon.com/Lacavechampignonnière/Galeriedephotos/tabid/1057/Default.aspx
(Look for images of 'Pieds bleus'.)

Also check these two videos for outdoor cultivation:

Carsten

Offlinelionsman
Stranger
Male
Loc: UK
Re: blewitt or blue foot??? [Re: Mycelio]
    #12384587 - 04/13/10 11:05 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I have 2 wild L. nuda strains I can send you if you want them. I had a go with one of them last year. It colonised the compost pretty quick, but failed to fruit. Conditions weren't great though, tried to do it in a fridge with a light inside. I'm going to have another go this year and try to time the fruiting cycle with the onset of winter. From what I've read most cultures seem to have quite a long resting period before fruiting. If you want the cultures, pm me an address. I also have a full academic paper on their cultivation which I can e-mail you if you want.

Invisibleratdog
wild capture trader
Male User Gallery

Loc: Colorado mount. top
Re: blewitt or blue foot??? [Re: lionsman]
    #12391025 - 04/14/10 09:43 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

watching

OfflineMycelio
Stranger
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #12436754 - 04/22/10 09:36 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

lionsman said:
I have 2 wild L. nuda strains I can send you if you want them. I had a go with one of them last year. It colonised the compost pretty quick, but failed to fruit. Conditions weren't great though, tried to do it in a fridge with a light inside. I'm going to have another go this year and try to time the fruiting cycle with the onset of winter. From what I've read most cultures seem to have quite a long resting period before fruiting. If you want the cultures, pm me an address. I also have a full academic paper on their cultivation which I can e-mail you if you want.

Hi Lionsman,

is that the paper comparing french and australian strains without succeeding in fruiting? If not please post the title.

Do you still have photos of your cultures you might show? Would be interesting to watch as there is not much material to compare with.

In general I think outdoor patches are the way to go. For indoor experiments multispore cultures might raise the chances to find an easier strain.

Carsten

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
    #12448229 - 04/24/10 08:23 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

They colonize horse manure, but I don't think they liked it all that much. The mycelium was thin. In nature, Blewit's have very thick and rhizomorphic mycelium. Clearly wasn't the case with my attempt. That's if the culture I have is even a Blewit to begin with. I'm going to go with a sterilized compost next time. A compost that's not so high in nitrogen, unlike that used to cultivate, Agaricus. Something a little more leafy. With more carbon. 100:1 or so.

Offlinelionsman
Stranger
Male
Loc: UK
Re: blewitt or blue foot??? [Re: Hotnuts]
    #12448313 - 04/24/10 08:52 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Carsten,
The paper is 'Growing Lepista nuda; a summary of three years of research and experience' by B. Desrumaux, P. Sedeyn, M. Demeulemeester and A. Calus. Published in 'Science and cultivation of edible and medicinal fungi, Rinker and Royce (Eds)2004 Penn State. isbn 1-883956-01-13. The book is a proceedings from a mushroom conference. They use 2 strains, Mycelia 8550 (Mycelia, Belgium) and Ferland 4102 (Sylvan, Netherlands). They do fruit them and discuss the various conditions affecting fruiting/yield etc.
Sorry I don't have photos. I've only got slants in the fridge at the moment. When I grow it out I'll post some.

OfflineMycelio
Stranger
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: blewitt or blue foot??? [Re: Hotnuts]
    #12448374 - 04/24/10 09:18 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Hotnuts said:
They colonize horse manure, but I don't think they liked it all that much. The mycelium was thin. In nature, Blewit's have very thick and rhizomorphic mycelium. Clearly wasn't the case with my attempt. That's if the culture I have is even a Blewit to begin with. I'm going to go with a sterilized compost next time. A compost that's not so high in nitrogen, unlike that used to cultivate, Agaricus. Something a little more leafy. With more carbon. 100:1 or so.

Yes, this matches my observations. I had slow and thin growth on a sterilized horse manure/compost/straw mixture. It was slightly better when I added sawdust. Next time I'll try hay or sawdust with bran. I think those rhizomorphs will only appear in the casing layer.

Carsten

OfflineMycelio
Stranger
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #12448436 - 04/24/10 09:38 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

lionsman said:
Carsten,
The paper is 'Growing Lepista nuda; a summary of three years of research and experience' by B. Desrumaux, P. Sedeyn, M. Demeulemeester and A. Calus. Published in 'Science and cultivation of edible and medicinal fungi, Rinker and Royce (Eds)2004 Penn State. isbn 1-883956-01-13. The book is a proceedings from a mushroom conference. They use 2 strains, Mycelia 8550 (Mycelia, Belgium) and Ferland 4102 (Sylvan, Netherlands). They do fruit them and discuss the various conditions affecting fruiting/yield etc.
Sorry I don't have photos. I've only got slants in the fridge at the moment. When I grow it out I'll post some.

Thank you for this info.
Here are some photos of my first attempt, where I didn't get far. In the end everything was too contaminated to continue. Did your mycelium also turned short and dense after colonization, like in the second last image? I still wonder if that was healthy growth or a contam.

Carsten

Germinated spores on manure/compost/straw, three weeks after inoculation:

Growing Mycelium:

Colonized jar:

Mycelium closeup:

Another closeup on grain:

Older mycelium or contam?

Rhizomorphic growth in the casing layer:

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
    #12450717 - 04/24/10 06:14 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I cased mine, but can't recall how it worked out. I think it ended up contaminating on the substrate, so I chunked it before the casing even had time to start colonizing. I'm going to get some spawn going right now, actually!

Offlinegreenboom
Stranger
    #14361397 - 04/27/11 02:23 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I am in Hawaii and am experimenting with cultivation of Lepista tarda, a thinner fleshed warm weather sister species of L. nuda.  I have had luck with the mycelium on flax, but haven't gotten to the fruiting stage yet.  Paul Stamets has cultivated it on sterile grain and it doesn't seem to be dependent on soil bacteria.  I would love to see that academic paper, I haven't been able to find one.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates