Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineArsenal
lung failureincarnate
Loc: The Great White North
Mystery Species *COMPLETED*
    #1231408 - 01/19/03 01:42 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Well, I just started to cultivate my own mushrooms about a week ago, and I've been glued to this site reading every little morsel of information for a while now.

Anyhow, I just picked up a jar of spawn from a 'reliable source', who unfortunately could not tell me what strain it was but assured me they were genuine psychoactive mushrooms. Of course, I took this with a grain of salt, keeping in mind the possibility that I could be entirely ripped off, so I'm waiting for a fully mature mushroom to ID before I eat anything. (I do, of course, plan to tap into the infinite wisdom of the board for verification  :grin: .)

So far colonization has gone well. They were started in what looks like rye or popcorn kernels or something along those lines - decomposition makes it hard to identify what it was. However the spawn jar I received was full of fuzzy white mycellium, so that was somewhat reassuring. It is currently colonizing quickly over pasteurized straw for a substrate. I would say that at the moment it is approximately 70% colonized. Tonight I'm going to mix up the mycellium/substrate to make sure that it is all growing evenly through properly. Expect pictures.  :wink: 

--------- Late Night Jan. 19/Early Morning Jan. 20

As promised, the pictures of the mycellium's progress. I have to work on my whole camera lighting problem, unfortunately the flash is extremely bright and my surroundings are just barely not bright enough.. and I screwed up the white balance too but ah well. :tongue:

(Pics fixed! Booyah.)

More to come later. Questions, comments, criticisms, and threats to take over the world all welcome.  :grin:

--------- January 23rd

Well, HappyLeftist was more than correct. Mixing was a big mistake. Mycelial growth nearly came to a halt, and it's taken 'till today to completely recolonize again. I believe I am at 99.99999% colonization now.. the parts which I was worried about colonizing before have filled in as well. I am going to start fanning tonight and we'll see what happens!

Edited by Arsenal (02/24/03 07:59 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHappyLeftist
EX-Druggie
Post deleted by Administrator [Re: Arsenal]
    #1231797 - 01/19/03 04:51 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------

OfflineArsenal
lung failureincarnate
Re: Grow Log - Mystery Species (Started Jan. 13) [Re: HappyLeftist]
    #1232641 - 01/20/03 12:53 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

I wouldent reccomment mixing up the colonized substrate.....there is really no need to do this and it would only weaken the mycelial network.

Oops. Ah well. The only reason I mixed it up was because there is a great deal of straw which is uncolonized below the top layer in some patches. Also the pictures only covered the central area of the substrate as that was the easiest portion to take a picture of without disturbing the mycellium too much.

Some more details on the 'habitat' of the mushrooms.. they are currently living inside of a closet with an air filter running in the attached room 24/7 (not a HEPA, but an Ionic Breeze. Does anyone know how these two types of air purifiers compare?) They are being kept around 80F, high humidity of course. I have noticed that as the mycellium digest the straw it turns almost liquidy.. which leads me to wonder if that is the source of the mysterious layer of 'goo' that I've seen on so many other logs..

OfflineArsenal
lung failureincarnate
Re: Grow Log - Mystery Species (Started Jan. 13) [Re: Arsenal]
    #1245318 - 01/24/03 06:56 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Update Jan. 24th

Just started fruiting.. temps in the room have been dropped to around 75F. It should be noted that this is a bit of a covert op, so the materials used are rather.. unique. See for yourself  :smirk:

More pictures when something interesting happens. 

Invisible@cro
new name
 User Gallery

Loc: The PNW
    #1245570 - 01/24/03 08:35 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Is that a cardboard box for the fruiting chamber? If so did you layer it with plastic cause the high humidity is really going to do a number on it especially if you have perlite on the bottom with water just sitting down there.

--------------------

OfflineArsenal
lung failureincarnate
Re: Grow Log - Mystery Species (Started Jan. 13) [Re: @cro]
    #1245603 - 01/24/03 08:43 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

That is a cardboard box, waxed.. and yes it is also layered with plastic. In the future I plan to build something a little more classy but the box is holding up quite well for now.  :smile: 

OfflineArsenal
lung failureincarnate
    #1249344 - 01/26/03 02:56 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Update January 26th

Just a quick update... have been fanning 4x a day, misting once or twice as necessary.. some mycellium is visible through the valleys of the casing now. Lighting is on a 6on/18off schedule.

(Edit: For some reason my computer keeps posting half-complete posts even though the preview looks normal.. so if this post looks garbled please ignore it..)

Edited by Arsenal (01/26/03 03:01 AM)

OfflineArsenal
lung failureincarnate
    #1254296 - 01/28/03 04:24 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Another quick update. Myc is starting to poke through more parts of the casing which I am not so happy about... still no pins. Not worried yet of course.. but maybe a little dissapointed. :crazy:

Anyhoo, hope to have something visible soon!  :smirk: 

Edited by Arsenal (01/28/03 04:26 AM)

OfflineRaadt
nicht

Loc: azurescending
    #1254322 - 01/28/03 04:35 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

casing looks very dry, I would mist it, if it is.

Mycellium looks normal, though.

Give it a little while :wink:

is that a poo layer? or what is it cased with?

--------------------
Raadt

-- The information I provide is only information from readings, growing of gourmet mushrooms, and second hand stories--

OfflineArsenal
lung failureincarnate
Re: Grow Log - Mystery Species (Started Jan. 13) [Re: Raadt]
    #1254451 - 01/28/03 05:15 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Casing is uh... well I'll confess, it came in a kit, so I don't really know. It appears to be just plain soil though, but I've heard that's almost indistinguishable from dried poo, so maybe it is. It feels fairly moist, definitely not wet.. and the humidity is way up. I'm sure it could take a bit more of a misting though, so I'll give it a light spray or two during my next fan.

OfflineArsenal
lung failureincarnate
    #1273538 - 02/03/03 07:55 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Update February 3 -- First Pins!!

Actually, this guy appeared on Feb. 1st but I didn't have access to my camera then.  :tongue:

There are at least 5 other tiny pins which have formed too, but too small for my camera to get a good picture of yet.. perhaps later tonight  :grin: 

OfflineHexum311
SmartNewb

Loc: NOYFB (new state)
    #1273676 - 02/03/03 08:22 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Casing is uh... well I'll confess, it came in a kit, so I don't really know. It appears to be just plain soil though, but I've heard that's almost indistinguishable from dried poo, so maybe it is

It isnt poo. One does not case with poo. If it were poo, the myc. would have colonized that layer fully as well, and it would be just another layer of substrate. its most likelly soil =)

--------------------
"The shade is a tool, a device, a saviors seceret try... and look up to the sky..... but my eyes burn"
-Chino Moreno, the Deftones
peace
-Hex

OfflineArsenal
lung failureincarnate
Re: Mystery Species (Start Jan. 13) [Re: Arsenal]
    #1277269 - 02/04/03 07:36 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

------- February 4th

More growth..

Soon now  :grin: 

Invisibleralph snart111
infectedlycanthrope

#1277724 - 02/04/03 10:14 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Congrats! Seeing your first fruits is like being a kid again on Christmas morning.I always found it hard not to look in on them every few hours.
good job!

--------------------
"Behold the mythical esquilax-a horse with the body of a rabbit...and the head of...a rabbit ! "
-Timothy Leary

OfflineArsenal
lung failureincarnate
Re: Mystery Species (Start Jan. 13) [Re: ralph snart111]
    #1279136 - 02/04/03 04:15 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't help but check up on them with every idle minute I have.. here's a nice close-up.

So I'm pretty damn sure this is Psilocybe Cubensis now. :crazy: As for which strain, any ideas? 

Invisibleralph snart111
infectedlycanthrope

#1279176 - 02/04/03 04:26 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah,the first time I birthed a cake I swear i must have checked on it every 15 min.
and it just would'nt pin. Then when I stopped looken at the damn thing it started to pin.Looks like the one in the picture is going to be pretty nice.

--------------------
"Behold the mythical esquilax-a horse with the body of a rabbit...and the head of...a rabbit ! "
-Timothy Leary

OfflineArsenal
lung failureincarnate
    #1281000 - 02/05/03 07:35 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Well here's what I think will be my last picture before I get around to the harvest. I will definitely be taking prints of the more aggressive growers, they are looking pretty nice.  :grin:

The largest fruit visible in the picture currently measures up to 9.8cm. The rest average 5-6cm, though they vary quite a lot. Approximately 25 pins are currently visible across the entire casing surface.

The casing layer you see is very thin.. perhaps 2cm at the deepest. I still have a ton left, but I saw that a lot of other logs with similar casing situations where the first flush wasn't even cased. After this first flush, what do you folks recommend? Should I apply another casing layer (and if so, any recommended thicknesses, etc..?) 

OfflineArsenal
lung failureincarnate
    #1283441 - 02/06/03 01:07 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

------ February 6th

Well I know I said the last pic was going to be the last one.. except I've run into this problem where the caps have no room to open! And I'm going to need these sporeprints. hmm...

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1284250 - 02/06/03 07:08 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Man, those are some weird looking mushrooms ... lol!

Well, you did well... They look like they are still growing and will be pretty big when matured.

OfflineTenchi
Myco-Newb

#1284291 - 02/06/03 07:20 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Ya those are some strange looking shrooms, definately look like cubes, just odd the caps seem no bigger then the stem. If you get some prints, even small ones, I would love to experiment with it if you want to share a print with me, Ill of course send you a print in return :wink: 

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom