Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTheBandit
Infidel
Male

growing shiitake mushrooms
    #12299501 - 03/30/10 01:43 PM (14 years, 20 days ago)

i've recently received a syringe culture of Lentinula Edodes strain: shiitake mushroom from sporeworks.

i've read they grow on logs.

does this mean i inoculate a grain such as wbs and spread it on the log or how does that work.

+5 to anyone who points me in the right direction.

--------------------

[quote]RogerRabbit said:
Ah, that explains it.  Typical know-it-all noob.  We get a few thousand just like you register here every year.  They try a few grows, fail miserably and then after a few months or one bad trip, go back to sniffing glue, never to be seen again.

We have a basic pf tek that's idiot proof enough for noobs to get fucked up with their friends. 

Mycologists on the other hand grow for the love of growing.  They want to experiment with various species, substrates, and fruiting environments. They'll move on to isolate strains, attempt hybridization, and in general treat cultivation as an artform, rather than a chore that must be performed as a means to an end.  They'll work twice as hard for a ten percent gain, just for the love of perfection.  These are the ones who will isolate strains, not the dumb fucks who treat mushrooms as a drug, or even worse, a pathogen, as if mushrooms cause disease.
RR [/quote]

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: growing shiitake mushrooms [Re: TheBandit]
    #12299518 - 03/30/10 01:45 PM (14 years, 20 days ago)

If growing on hardwood logs, use the grains to inoculate hardwood dowels, and when they're colonized, drill holes in your logs and drive the dowels in.  Cover the wounds with melted wax.

A better method is sawdust cultivation in filter patch bags.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineTheBandit
Infidel
Male

Re: growing shiitake mushrooms [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #12299541 - 03/30/10 01:50 PM (14 years, 20 days ago)

do you have any links to teks?

--------------------

[quote]RogerRabbit said:
Ah, that explains it.  Typical know-it-all noob.  We get a few thousand just like you register here every year.  They try a few grows, fail miserably and then after a few months or one bad trip, go back to sniffing glue, never to be seen again.

We have a basic pf tek that's idiot proof enough for noobs to get fucked up with their friends. 

Mycologists on the other hand grow for the love of growing.  They want to experiment with various species, substrates, and fruiting environments. They'll move on to isolate strains, attempt hybridization, and in general treat cultivation as an artform, rather than a chore that must be performed as a means to an end.  They'll work twice as hard for a ten percent gain, just for the love of perfection.  These are the ones who will isolate strains, not the dumb fucks who treat mushrooms as a drug, or even worse, a pathogen, as if mushrooms cause disease.
RR [/quote]

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #12299584 - 03/30/10 01:55 PM (14 years, 20 days ago)

Sorry to spam, but this video clip shows how I make sawdust bags.  It's only a short clip from the full release on DVD, but should give you the basic idea.  Colonize your grains, and then use them to inoculate the sterilized sawdust.  Leave the colonized substrate in the bag for at least a month after full colonization.  Wait for it to blister and brown, and then remove from the bag, soak 12 hours in cold water(not ice water, just cold tap water) and place in fruiting conditions.
RR

--------------------

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineTheBandit
Infidel
Male

#12299602 - 03/30/10 01:59 PM (14 years, 20 days ago)

very nice. thanks rr.

sterility is still EXTREMELY important with these as well, correct?

--------------------

[quote]RogerRabbit said:

RR [/quote]

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #12300474 - 03/30/10 04:26 PM (14 years, 20 days ago)

If you supplement with bran as shown in the DVD, yes.  Unsupplemented sawdust can be simply pasteurized and inoculated in non-sterile conditions.  However, performance is much less than when supplementation is used.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

OfflinePuma
surfing when I can
Male

Loc: BC
    #12303183 - 03/31/10 12:40 AM (14 years, 19 days ago)

hmmm... so shitaake will grow on grains? I just received a colonized block, and my plan was to grow the mycelium over some agar, and then colonize a block of sawdust and bran (once I find a source of good sawdust... it seems to be all softwood around here). Anyways, the mention of WBS here makes me think that I might be able to go from agar to grain (I like to use rye kernels) and then be able to inoculate my filter patch bag with a better dose of spawn. Do I have the right idea? And where does one start looking for alder or oak sawdust? Short of getting out a chainsaw and making it myself (or is this what I should do?). Thanks guys... RR you're a champ, by the way, I can't say how much your sharing of knowledge has helped me thus far.

Offlineshroom-jitsu
Divine Triangler
Male

Loc: Here
Re: growing shiitake mushrooms [Re: Puma]
    #12304421 - 03/31/10 09:53 AM (14 years, 19 days ago)

I've found that shiitakes can grow pretty well with very little wood, and will still do "decent" on plain BRF cakes.  Shiitake's LOVE to eat bamboo skewers too if you want an inoculation method.  Let a skewer colonize and stick it in sumthin. 

I live in an apartment, so my space to grow is limited.  I use a standard shotgun and BRF-style cakes.

I use:

3 parts water
1 part ground WBS
1 part BRF
1 part Sawdust (I usually don't use a whole "part")

-I bring my substrate to field with dilute coffee.

-I cold-shock in my fridge (my regular kitchen fridge works fine) for  four days and on the fifth I dunk (also in the fridge).

-If I roll / case the cakes, the pins are fewer and the fruits far larger.  If not, I get many more fruits of reduced size.  No difference in final mass.

-I allow a week to consolidate in the jars BEFORE cold-shocking.

-I being my "consolidation period" as soon as I see the smalled brownish tint to the cake.  I don't wait for them to bark over at all.

-Second flush fruits tend to be much larger than the first.

Using this method, I'm able to yeild 1 - 1 1/2 pounds in two flushes with 12 cakes.  This takes about 6 - 8 weeks, but if you keep a rotation going, you can have non-stop shiitakes at a premium using very little space.  See the link in my sig for more details.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #12304489 - 03/31/10 10:12 AM (14 years, 19 days ago)

Quote:

Puma said:
And where does one start looking for alder or oak sawdust? Short of getting out a chainsaw and making it myself (or is this what I should do?)

Shiitake are generally grown out on rye berries and these are then spawned to hardwood sawdust.

I know there's sawmills in your area, so visit one of them and they'll probably load the back of your truck up for free.  You might have to do a bit of checking to find a sawmill that is doing Alder and/or Western Larch, both of which grow in your area and are suitable.  If you make a trip south, Sawdust Supply near downtown Seattle sells Alder sawdust for $29 per cubic yard(about 600 pounds).
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

OfflinePuma
surfing when I can
Male

Loc: BC
    #12310125 - 04/01/10 03:15 AM (14 years, 18 days ago)

A huge thanks to both of you. Shroom-jitsu, I'm going to check out your growlog now, that's an interesting technique you've developed.

RR, you're right, no shortage of sawmills around here, but I wasn't aware that they worked on alder. If they're milling it in Seattle it'll be getting milled here too, I'm sure. I'll be on the road next week so I'll stop in and see what I can find. That's great to hear that I'll be able to use rye berries. After the dinner I had last night I'm super keen to grow shiitake, and if it goes well, to flog a few at the weekend farmer's market this summer. Luckily I'm just far enough from your cave in the hills there, RR, that you haven't yet cornered the local shiitake scene!

Edited by Puma (04/01/10 02:53 PM)

OfflineMikeallojee
Coolaid smile
Male User Gallery

Loc: SW WA
    #12326609 - 04/03/10 11:21 PM (14 years, 15 days ago)

If you plan to get alder chips from saw dust supply give them a call ahead of time it can take some time to get chips made. myc

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: growing shiitake mushrooms [Re: Mikeallojee]
    #12327019 - 04/04/10 01:00 AM (14 years, 15 days ago)

They had plenty when I was there two days ago.  They don't always keep it loaded into bags, but they can dump 1 yard per bucket into the back of a pickup.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

OfflineTime Tourist
curioser and curioser
Male User Gallery

#22728001 - 01/02/16 01:00 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

I know this is an old thread, but could someone point me into the right direction on how to make the inoculated grain or sawdust spawn?
I read in Paul Stamets' book that these two can be used to inoculate the bags, but how do you make them?
Might be a stupid question, but does it work the same way as with psilocybes with a syringe?

Invisibleoysterizer
Male User Gallery

Re: growing shiitake mushrooms [Re: Time Tourist]
    #22730906 - 01/03/16 05:35 AM (8 years, 3 months ago)

http://www.shroomery.org/11339/Grain-Spawn

welcome. Tons of info here, just do a little searching.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract