Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineEgo Questio
Ghost in the Machine
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK
BRF cakes completely dried out
    #12275109 - 03/26/10 07:47 AM (14 years, 6 days ago)

Hey guys,

Ive been forced to go a bit ghetto with my latest grow and I had 12 half pint brf cakes in open-mouth glasses colonising in my TiT (set to 70'F). Half were 'nocced with F+ and half with Equador (which I've had good success with before).

The F+ started colonising like crazy,then all stopped about 20% and there was no sign of life from the Eq jars.I waited a couple of weeks,and finally cracked the cakes out last night-they were all cracker dry and I'm trying to figure out why.

As I doubt it's the incubator temps evaporating the water,I have to assume it was my ghetto jars.They were all double foiled for PCing,then popped in the TiT.Half the jars I left a single sheet of foil on,the other half I removed all foil once I saw growth and trusted the dry verm to act as a barrier.

I can only assume this wide open approach allowed all the water to disappate-what do you reckon?
I've already stopped being a cheapskate and 'nocced up some proper jars last night with some Amazon lc kindly provided by another Shroomery member (thanks again!),so hopefully I'll get it right this time,but I'm eager to learn where I went wrong.If it was the open glasses,would a tyvek cover have corrected the issue..?

Also on the offchance i somehow got the water content of the cakes wrong (I don't think so,but I'm exploring all options),I've set up three test jars in my new batch-one with less water,one the usual and one with more-just covering all the bases here.

Thanks in advance gents. :hatsoff:

--------------------
Over one's mind and over one's body the individual is sovereign.
John Stuart Mill, On Liberty
(1806 - 1873)
My UPDATED UK supplies thread
My first trip report-Amsterdam wanderings
Stonesun's sclerotia infodump
Proudly discovered Highly Sensitive Person ~2009
To all you good gents, I say :hatsoff:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFahkface
Over-Fiend
Male User Gallery

Loc: In your Mind, Pedro! In y...
Trusted Cultivator
Re: BRF cakes completely dried out [Re: Ego Questio]
    #12275157 - 03/26/10 08:04 AM (14 years, 6 days ago)

When the PF cakes were made as advised, they shouldn't have been too dry, unless the water has run out, during the cooking process.

I doubt it was the jars, that caused this, since wide mouth jars, what most people use and they don't have any problems with it.

No growth at all might be caused by a too wet, or too dry substrate, though normally the mycelium colonizes substrates on dry side very good, so it must have been off quiet a lot.

Improper gas exchange during colonization can cause it to stall as well.

When you use lids and a dry verm layer you indeed don't need or want foil on the jars.

When you don't use jars, but only a dry verm layer, I'd suggest to leave on the foil. There will be enough gas exchange.

OfflineEgo Questio
Ghost in the Machine
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK
Re: BRF cakes completely dried out [Re: Fahkface]
    #12275187 - 03/26/10 08:17 AM (14 years, 6 days ago)

That's what I'm really puzzled about-I obviously have to consider the possibility I screwed up the water ratio when mixing the cakes-but I really didn't,it was pretty much spot on.
That's why I'm so confused.I was just thinking of surface area of evaporation/routes for water to escape.A properly done jar has a small area for water to evaporate through-the beathing filters.But with open glasses,you have the entire surface area of the base...I dunno,it seemed the only viable reason to me.
Hopefully,the new jars will pan out,but is always good to learn how and why you went wrong.

Cheers Fahkface. :thumbup:

--------------------
Over one's mind and over one's body the individual is sovereign.
John Stuart Mill, On Liberty
(1806 - 1873)
My UPDATED UK supplies thread
My first trip report-Amsterdam wanderings
Stonesun's sclerotia infodump
Proudly discovered Highly Sensitive Person ~2009
To all you good gents, I say :hatsoff:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds