Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineYouthfuldreams
Forest Fairy
Female

Loc: Texas
Youth's Botanicals
    #12230371 - 03/19/10 11:06 AM (14 years, 13 days ago)

So, I am pretty confident with my gardening skills in outdoor gardens. I have been planting herbs flowers and fruits since i was a little girl.

I recently moved to a small 2nd story apt. and have found indoor gardening is a WHOLE new tripp. Thus my flood of questions of late

Ok, first.

I've had this small agave for about 5 months and it doesnt seem to be growing at all.

Its healthy and happy looking, the tips started drying out about 2months ago but I re-planted it in a bigger pot and it has since then been getting better, dryness almost gone now.

I dont understand why its not growing, i would think 5months is long enough to see at least a little bit of growth.

I had it on the windowsill for a long time (got like 4hrs of direct sunlight and a total of about 6hrs of light a day then) but when it started to get real cold out I moved it fully indoors under a sun glow light.

I have it on just regular potting soil and when I transplanted it I filled the rest of the new pot with a compost/topsoil mix.

I have started to water it more often lately (once every 2 days) since the compost/topsoil mix seems to dry out much faster than the potting soil, but I am afraid i'll drown it.

Does it just grow that slowly or am I doing something wrong?

Second

I am starting some avocado plants from pit. I have some books on indoor plants and in one of them it has more or less detailed instructions on how to grow avocado plants (for foilage and not fruits) indoors. I followed the instructions, its been 2 weeks and I see no growth whatsoever. the pit is just sitting on the dirt being a pit and not seeming to have any desire to sprout.

The basic instructions I got was to put the pit 3/4 under regular potting soil (i'm using compost+potting soil mix) and leave 1/4 of the pic uncovered and then make sure the soil is always very damp.

I have 1 pit without a greenhouse and one other in a minature green house made with an old 1litre plastic soda bottle.

Current temp around here is about 75 degrees for most of the day going up to about 80-82 at mid day. Under the bulb is a couple of degrees higher.

I didnt expect the seed to sprout over night or anything, ofcourse, but after 2 weeks of absolutely nothing happening I am getting worried that it just wont grow.

I put a 3rd pit to soak over night just last night, the book does not say to do that, but I am hoping it might help

--------------------
Issun's fairy lover
AGARICUS ENTHUSIAST!!

Edited by Youthfuldreams (04/13/10 12:02 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineYouthfuldreams
Forest Fairy
Female

Re: My agave and my avocado. My plants!! [Re: Youthfuldreams]
    #12230441 - 03/19/10 11:20 AM (14 years, 13 days ago)

this is the most crap ass pic ever, but its what I could find of earlier pics.

I'll try my very best to remember to take more current pics *writes reminder on arm*

--------------------
Issun's fairy lover
AGARICUS ENTHUSIAST!!

Invisibleferrel_human
stone eater
Male User Gallery

Loc: Darkside of the moon Flag
    #12230576 - 03/19/10 11:40 AM (14 years, 13 days ago)

the agave needs a big ass space to grow. my wife got one from a co worker and it was all small and root bound with babies coming out the bottm. i gave the babies to my dad and i planted the main one. its huge now just over a year i had it. that is most likely the reason it won't grow. Do you know it by magay?

as for the avocado, i stii have yet to grow one. they never grow when i plant them. my dad, on the other hand, is a master green thumb and had one that i cut down for him. it was like 20ft tall and a bitch to cut down. but now its 10 feet tall from all the resprouts.

i read that you can put those long scewers on the side and do the potato method like we did in elementary. the roots grow down and the sprout comes out the top. then just replant.

hope this helps.

--------------------
Nature is my church and walking through it is gospel. It tells no lies and reveals all to those who look, and listen, closely.
-Karode

OfflineYouthfuldreams
Forest Fairy
Female

Re: My agave and my avocado. My plants!! [Re: ferrel_human]
    #12230611 - 03/19/10 11:47 AM (14 years, 13 days ago)

In this part of mexico we call "maguey" (yes pronunce ma' gay) most everything that is aloe or agave LIKE. So to us around here an agave is a type of maguey.

I put it in a slightly bigger pot but I have a big bucket it could be happy in.

LOL we didnt mess with potatoes in school here, but i'll look it up

--------------------
Issun's fairy lover
AGARICUS ENTHUSIAST!!

Invisibleferrel_human
stone eater
Male User Gallery

#12230629 - 03/19/10 11:51 AM (14 years, 13 days ago)

you're in mexico right now? you should come back. in the border town of reynosa there is a shootout almost weekly and kidnappings that the media shall not talk about.they are well compensated you know. all to keep :shoosh: i stopped going and i'm mexican 100%. just too dangerous.

--------------------
Nature is my church and walking through it is gospel. It tells no lies and reveals all to those who look, and listen, closely.
-Karode

OfflineYouthfuldreams
Forest Fairy
Female

#12230671 - 03/19/10 11:59 AM (14 years, 13 days ago)

I live-in and stick-to the US side of the river mostly. I am an american citizen but I grew up and studied in mexico so its got a big place in my heart

A lot of things are legal in mexico and the cacti is a-plenty so I try to visit often LOL

edit for: i hate reynosa! although its like 30min away i've only gone two or three times cause it gives me a headache

--------------------
Issun's fairy lover
AGARICUS ENTHUSIAST!!

Edited by Youthfuldreams (03/19/10 12:01 PM)

Invisibleferrel_human
stone eater
Male User Gallery

#12230699 - 03/19/10 12:05 PM (14 years, 13 days ago)

yeah well i'm ten minutes away in san juan and always fear stray bullets.

i go to progreso mainly and it the "q-tips"(wintertexans) are always there.

and cacti are so abundant here its awesome.

have you gone to the falcon state reserve? its pretty cool there and there is an abundance of cacti on the trails.

--------------------
-Karode

Invisiblekarode13Facebook
Tāne Mahuta
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: LV-426
    #12233149 - 03/19/10 06:43 PM (14 years, 12 days ago)

It can take up to 6 weeks for Avocado to sprout from seed, be patient and it will do its thing.

--------------------

Invisibleferrel_human
stone eater
Male User Gallery

Re: My agave and my avocado. My plants!! [Re: karode13]
    #12233959 - 03/19/10 09:02 PM (14 years, 12 days ago)

Quote:

karode13 said:
It can take up to 6 weeks for Avocado to sprout from seed, be patient and it will do its thing.

my dad is 74 and has sprouted maybe over  40 of them.

he is really psuhing his luck his luck.:oldman:

--------------------
-Karode

Invisiblekarode13Facebook
Tāne Mahuta
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: LV-426
    #12234404 - 03/19/10 10:30 PM (14 years, 12 days ago)

Well if he's 74 and still sowing seeds he must be in good health, mentally and physically. I hope that I'm still able to be a productive gardener at that age. :sun:

--------------------

Invisibleferrel_human
stone eater
Male User Gallery

#12234431 - 03/19/10 10:35 PM (14 years, 12 days ago)

the doctor says he is a hypochondriac. he is operfectly healthy for a mna his age but h'es got everything

--------------------
-Karode

Offlinekopid03
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #12236379 - 03/20/10 11:08 AM (14 years, 12 days ago)

I have an avocado that I sprouted by letting the bottom half of it sit in water.  I put 3 pins in the sides of it to suspend it on the rim of a glass.  It took about 3 or 4 weeks to sprout, now its about a foot tall.

Invisibleferrel_human
stone eater
Male User Gallery

Re: My agave and my avocado. My plants!! [Re: kopid03]
    #12238793 - 03/20/10 08:14 PM (14 years, 11 days ago)

Quote:

kopid03 said:
I have an avocado that I sprouted by letting the bottom half of it sit in water.  I put 3 pins in the sides of it to suspend it on the rim of a glass.  It took about 3 or 4 weeks to sprout, now its about a foot tall.

thats the way i read to germ avocado cores.

--------------------
-Karode

Offlinejben
Don't panic, it's organic
 User Gallery

#12239284 - 03/20/10 09:55 PM (14 years, 11 days ago)

Ferrel, you said "he is really psuhing his luck his luck." looks like you have the amphetamine tick... stuttering on the keyboard, haha jk, I do it all the time.

but yeah, I live in the midwest, but have always wanted to make use of my avacado seeds, I am going to try the screw/water suspension trick and see if I can't get one going. I am a greenthumb, so it shouldn't be too bad... And youthful, it's cool to see that women are just as into gardening as dudes here on this board. I do work for my Buddy's mom, and its fun working in her greenhouse planting flowers and other various stuff.

--------------------
Don't panic, it's organic!

Invisibleferrel_human
stone eater
Male User Gallery

Re: My agave and my avocado. My plants!! [Re: jben]
    #12239561 - 03/20/10 10:59 PM (14 years, 11 days ago)

Quote:

jben said:
Ferrel, you said "he is really psuhing his luck his luck." looks like you have the amphetamine tick... stuttering on the keyboard, haha jk, I do it all the time.

my head races at a million  miles a minute a minute.

--------------------
-Karode

OfflineYouthfuldreams
Forest Fairy
Female

#12247976 - 03/22/10 09:43 AM (14 years, 10 days ago)

Quote:

karode13 said:

Well surprise surprise. The pit I had left soaking (the one thing the book didnt say to do) is actually starting to sprout! after just 2-3 days.

I figured if thats the way it wants to grow then so be it.

I found one of my novelity minature pots (you know those TINY ones thwy sell with seeds for little kids) and half of the pit fits in nicely and it sitting on water while the other half is sticking out the top.
From what I hear its pretty much the same effect of the metal rods but without hurting the pit.

I'm taking pictures, I feel like starting a grow log for it

--------------------
Issun's fairy lover
AGARICUS ENTHUSIAST!!

OfflineYouthfuldreams
Forest Fairy
Female

#12247987 - 03/22/10 09:48 AM (14 years, 10 days ago)

Quote:

ferrel_human said:
yeah well i'm ten minutes away in san juan and always fear stray bullets.

i go to progreso mainly and it the "q-tips"(wintertexans) are always there.

and cacti are so abundant here its awesome.

have you gone to the falcon state reserve? its pretty cool there and there is an abundance of cacti on the trails.

San Juan is like 20min from here. How cool!

No I havent, but they're bulding a palm and cacti sanctuary here (seems like they've been building it forever though)

And I've gone to the tequileras/cacti gardens in different parts of tamaulipas (+ I am going to this little town up in the mountains of El Cielo biosphere where there is all kinds of cacti EVERY WHERE. Personally I think its the birthplace of peyote )

--------------------
Issun's fairy lover
AGARICUS ENTHUSIAST!!

OfflineDeeGee
Insert Title Here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Sunny Southern California Flag
    #12250352 - 03/22/10 05:52 PM (14 years, 9 days ago)

As long as you keep your avocado wet it should be fine.

I have an agave in a small pot I replanted about November. It has barely grown if at all. I'm thinking ferrel is right, they need big growing space.... speaking of which, I also live in a small second story apartment. By the time your avocado can fruit anything you're going to need a bigger space.

--------------------
DG
:plur:

OfflineBothHands
Dog Coffee
Female User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #12250402 - 03/22/10 06:00 PM (14 years, 9 days ago)

Ooh, agave, you gonna make tequila? :tongue2:

I don't know much about agave, but I'm sure someone like cactusdan will.

As for avocados, I grew mine by sticking 3 toothpicks in the seed, and putting it on a cup of water, with about 1 inch submerged.  It roots pretty quickly.  Then I moved it to a pot, and then to the ground.

Edit:  I guess I should have read some of your replies first. :tongue2:

Edited by BothHands (03/22/10 06:09 PM)

OfflineYouthfuldreams
Forest Fairy
Female

Re: My agave and my avocado. My plants!! [Re: BothHands]
    #12254109 - 03/23/10 09:17 AM (14 years, 9 days ago)

mmmm tequila. No I'm just gonna grow it. they're pretty impressive.
In one of the tequileras I have visited they had an agave that was like twice as tall as my husband, i took pictures and stuff they are just really awesome

--------------------
Issun's fairy lover
AGARICUS ENTHUSIAST!!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder