Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSOUTHERN
NAIL DRIVER
 User Gallery

Loc: south
my oysters r acting funny
    #12219738 - 03/17/10 04:24 PM (14 years, 15 days ago)

i can get a pic if one is needed.. what is happening is i am getting good strong pin sets then they grow about .75 inch long then they start  to turn like a brown color then more pins will start behind them and those brown headed pinn aborts stems will turn mushy ..some of these mushrooms r aborting after getting a nice dime size cap and 1.5 inch stem.. i use a fogger bucket that is on constantly and the air where they r growing is usually foggy looking.. /.. this is messing up my production.. any ideas would be appreciated

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMycelio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Berlin Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: my oysters r acting funny [Re: SOUTHERN]
    #12219824 - 03/17/10 04:41 PM (14 years, 15 days ago)

Sounds like bacterial contamination, which happens easily in too high humidity. All you need is something above 60%RH. Of course pictures are necessary to be sure.

Carsten

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: my oysters r acting funny [Re: Mycelio]
    #12221844 - 03/17/10 11:37 PM (14 years, 14 days ago)

I keep the humidity in my fruiting room for oysters lower, usually around 80%.  You can always lay waxed paper over the substrate to get a good pinset, and then remove it.  Running foggers constantly is not advised.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinesolumvita
Q.B.E.
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Africa
Trusted Cultivator
Re: my oysters r acting funny [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #12223663 - 03/18/10 10:50 AM (14 years, 14 days ago)

okay, either increase FAE or slow down the bucket, I increased FAE recently and trebled my yields!  Even though my stalks were not obviously elongated it made a huge difference.

--------------------
One of these days all the answers will be revealed until then we learn from each other!

www.mushrush.co.za

OfflineSOUTHERN
NAIL DRIVER
 User Gallery

Re: my oysters r acting funny [Re: solumvita]
    #12227016 - 03/18/10 08:12 PM (14 years, 13 days ago)

so like a constant 80? or let it get up to 80 then u change air every so often. the fogger is blowing in fresh air all the time, but not like outside room air.i have a fan that runs a couple times a day and pushes air in, but this is all in a green house, and i don't have a fan bring air in the green house just vents in the roof. there r plants in there temps have been getting up to like 70 then 40s low.i will leave a window open to the green house. I will just use the fogger bucket every so often. Not the most reliable humidifier but for the cost it has served it purpose... here r some pics.. Thanks

OfflineSOUTHERN
NAIL DRIVER
 User Gallery

#12232928 - 03/19/10 06:04 PM (14 years, 13 days ago)

the pics r hard to see. the top picture has a couple larger and smaller caps. if you look at the texture and color of the cap of the mushroom they look different they r also kinda squishey soft..So is this caused by the too high humidity??

OfflineShiitGrower
Professor
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
    #12234044 - 03/19/10 09:16 PM (14 years, 12 days ago)

I experienced a similar problem while trying to grow Oysters on sawdust blocks in a fruiting chamber.  To fix the problem I put the block in plastic bags (to retain moisture), cut a 1” diameter hole in the bag for the mushrooms to grow out of and stuck the bag on a window sill giving it indirect sunlight.  It worked perfectly.  Good luck.

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #12234856 - 03/20/10 12:06 AM (14 years, 12 days ago)

looks like bacteria blotch.  You don't run foggers 24/7.  you need a cycle timer.  if your running oysters all you really need is one of those cool mist things.  You need a good digital humidity gauge, or it helps.

if your caps are wet all the time thats a sure sign your humidity is wrong...for oysters anyway.

--------------------
We were sent to hell for eternity :hellfire: Ø:omgawesome:h®
We play on earth to pass the time :foreheadslap:

Over-population the root of all Evil-brings the Elites Closer to the gates.

Offlinecatawbamushroom
Mr
Male

Re: my oysters r acting funny [Re: makaveli8x8]
    #16286685 - 05/26/12 05:51 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I know this is an old forum, but I have had the exact problem, except outside.......They are Blue oysters and the temp has soared to 87 degrees, around 60% humidity.......They are very crowded on the straw grow log......I have been misting twice a day.....I wound up harvesting some just to uncrowd and get some edible shrooms before something happens........would this be bacteria?

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: my oysters r acting funny [Re: catawbamushroom]
    #16286757 - 05/26/12 06:56 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

They'll grow faster in hot weather up to a point, and then they'll generally stop.  The biggest drawback of high temps with oyster mushrooms is they grow very thin and light.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinecatawbamushroom
Mr
Male

Re: my oysters r acting funny [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #16289013 - 05/26/12 06:17 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

When you say stop does that mean they start turning brown and mushy or they just quit growing?  It's happening to both the small pins and ones that are 1.5 to 2 inch caps. It's most definitely some sort of rot.

Thanks,

Catawba Mushroom

Invisiblesavage.renegade
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bay area
Re: my oysters r acting funny [Re: catawbamushroom]
    #16289388 - 05/26/12 07:48 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

This were growing in part direct/part indirect sunlight at high temps. The bigger caps were 14 inches.
I hosed them down very good though. Hotter temps you need to give much more water because of evaporation.
Just misting with a spray bottle at that temp wont cut it.

mushrooms are 90 percent water so

--------------------

OfflineSOUTHERN
NAIL DRIVER
 User Gallery

Re: my oysters r acting funny [Re: savage.renegade]
    #16291773 - 05/27/12 10:40 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

nice looking patch of oysters savage.. Around here u don't see any good oysters outside when its warm.. I find some awesome fruits during the winter.. Was that a patch u inoculated or just a wild find???They have a nice blue color for warm temps..

southern

Invisiblesavage.renegade
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bay area
    #16292250 - 05/27/12 12:49 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

This is how it looked before. I didn't make the spawn. I just picked up from a local company and dropped it there.

lol. The laziest and cheapest grow ever. I did cover them with grass clippings and yard waste to help hold moisture and initiate pinning.

My main goal here was to create a very nice rich compost for my plants which has worked out wonderful. It's looking like a bumper crop this year. So I wanted to see if they would fruit and they did and have been eating so many oysters.
My oyster culinary skills have greatly improved as well.

--------------------

Offlinecatawbamushroom
Mr
Male

Re: my oysters r acting funny [Re: savage.renegade]
    #16292517 - 05/27/12 03:34 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

That's Awesome.....makes me wonder why I'm going to so much trouble preparing everything and watching out for contams.............

Thanks,

Catawba Mushroom

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom