Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineThe24HourMC
Master Of Ceremonies
Male User Gallery

Loc: Gone
The Modern Technology Appreciation Thread
    #12178138 - 03/10/10 02:50 PM (14 years, 22 days ago)

Id like to dedicate this thread to appreciation of all technologies that make life just that much more convenient , ones that are in the near future , ones that are generally just fuckin awesome , and anything else.
Id like to thank technology right now for something simple...the automatic door. When walking into and out of a grocery store or something ti really saves time on all the traffic that there would be and the difficulty if they were manual doors.
Plus it just makes me feel like someone special every time i merely step in front of the store and they open up on no more effort.
Thank you technology.:thumbup:

--------------------

My Baby In MCLA

Fuckin Shit

Fuck that stay high

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleLivioDoubleFang
Outlaw of the Midwest
Male

Re: The Modern Technology Appreciation Thread [Re: The24HourMC]
    #12178152 - 03/10/10 02:53 PM (14 years, 22 days ago)

Yes, thank the Heavens for the airconditioner.

--------------------
Race/Strain Varieties

Want/Trade List

Vendor List

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind"    -Gandhi

“I, as a responsible adult human being, will never concede the power to anyone to regulate my choice of what I put into my body, or where I go with my mind. From the skin inwards is my jurisdiction, is it not? I choose what may or may not cross that border. Here I am the customs agent. I am the coastguard. I am the sole legal and spiritual government of this territory, and only the laws I choose to enact within myself are applicable” - Alexander Shulgin

OfflineFrinkz
Strange
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Yorkshire Flag
Re: The Modern Technology Appreciation Thread [Re: LivioDoubleFang]
    #12178311 - 03/10/10 03:22 PM (14 years, 22 days ago)

A little less abstract, but it'd have to be the PC

My job is on a computer, my studying is done with my computer, my research is done using a computer... and then I go and spend half of my spare time sat at another computer for fun :huxleyfacepalm:

--------------------
uk grow logs

InvisibleLivioDoubleFang
Outlaw of the Midwest
Male

Re: The Modern Technology Appreciation Thread [Re: Frinkz]
    #12178389 - 03/10/10 03:38 PM (14 years, 22 days ago)

Quote:

Frinkz said:

My job is on a computer, my studying is done with my computer, my research is done using a computer... and then I go and spend half of my spare time sat at another computer for fun :huxleyfacepalm:

Yea, that would be the next one on the list, right up there with the gaming consoles.

--------------------
Race/Strain Varieties

Want/Trade List

Vendor List

“I, as a responsible adult human being, will never concede the power to anyone to regulate my choice of what I put into my body, or where I go with my mind. From the skin inwards is my jurisdiction, is it not? I choose what may or may not cross that border. Here I am the customs agent. I am the coastguard. I am the sole legal and spiritual government of this territory, and only the laws I choose to enact within myself are applicable” - Alexander Shulgin

Invisiblefrith
God

Loc: Philadelphia, PA Flag
    #12178796 - 03/10/10 05:05 PM (14 years, 22 days ago)

a little more specific than just a computer..

i LOVE network services. ssh, nfs, mpd, rsync, etc..

something so satisfying about being able to control everything in the house without getting off the couch :smile:

yeah... im a geek :shrug:

--------------------

Invisiblecortex
[ H ] ψ = [ E ] ψ
Male User Gallery

Loc: Gedankenexperiment
Re: The Modern Technology Appreciation Thread [Re: The24HourMC]
    #12179201 - 03/10/10 06:30 PM (14 years, 22 days ago)

Cross post from the old-computer thread, but MicroSD and Flash drives are so awesome.  I use my two 8gb flash drives every day for work and school.

--------------------

Signature (up to 750 characters).

OfflineIdiot
I Am Moron!
Male User Gallery

Loc: 41.90231, 12.45390 Flag
Re: The Modern Technology Appreciation Thread [Re: cortex]
    #12179700 - 03/10/10 07:46 PM (14 years, 21 days ago)

I think Power Plastics will be huge.

--------------------

Customize your Shroomery experience!
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

Re: The Modern Technology Appreciation Thread [Re: frith]
    #12184847 - 03/11/10 05:14 PM (14 years, 21 days ago)

Quote:

frith said:
a little more specific than just a computer..

i LOVE network services. ssh, nfs, mpd, rsync, etc..

How about searching online libraries.  Get this:  My graduate advisor said he used to have to walk over to the library and use the "card catalag" to find stuff.

Even in 2001, I remember needing the department "copier card" to go over and make copies of relatively older scientific journals.  Now, even the back issues are scanned.  Now, I can narrow down tens of thousands of publications with a keyword.

Here's another gem:  My mom remembers TYPING my dad's thesis.  Because he needed more than one copy, it had to be typed on carbon paper.

I think a lot of kids lose track of how quickly things have progressed.  If you are over 30, it's likely you spent almost your ENTIRE high school and college career without a computer. 

Imagine going through all of high school and barely using a PC.  Only a very small portion of the population has grown up with a PC nearby.

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Invisiblecortex
[ H ] ψ = [ E ] ψ
Male User Gallery

Re: The Modern Technology Appreciation Thread [Re: badchad]
    #12184867 - 03/11/10 05:17 PM (14 years, 21 days ago)

I'm 24 and just started college about a year ago.  I honestly can't imagine writing lab reports and other papers without the extensive online resources available to students.

--------------------

InvisibleLivioDoubleFang
Outlaw of the Midwest
Male

#12184902 - 03/11/10 05:23 PM (14 years, 21 days ago)

26 here, I cant even begin to imagine what my life would be life without the advent of the computer age, though I think sometimes computers have made us lazier, they sure do save on paper and cutting down of trees.

--------------------
Race/Strain Varieties

Want/Trade List

Vendor List

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

#12184922 - 03/11/10 05:27 PM (14 years, 21 days ago)

I'm 30.  It's only a 5-6 year difference, but enough so that I did almost the entirety of school without owning my own PC.

It's interesting that such a short amount of time can result in such a huge change in lifestyle.

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Invisiblecortex
[ H ] ψ = [ E ] ψ
Male User Gallery

Re: The Modern Technology Appreciation Thread [Re: badchad]
    #12184947 - 03/11/10 05:32 PM (14 years, 21 days ago)

Well one could argue that all technological innovations only make us lazier.  Lazy is a relative term.  Computers, and modern technology, make life easier and offer convenience and ease to tasks that required more effort in the past.

Of course, if you are afraid of becoming too lazy, you could always shun all technology created in the last 100 years and become Amish :grin:

--------------------

Invisiblefrith
God

#12185209 - 03/11/10 06:07 PM (14 years, 21 days ago)

im 24 but i pretty much grew up in front of a computer.

i remember playing Mixed Up Mother Goose when i was little on the Tandy we had.

i never had a crappy 56k connection either.. we had an ISDN line. :smile:

--------------------

OfflineAnnom
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Europe
    #12185865 - 03/11/10 07:42 PM (14 years, 20 days ago)

I also grew up in front of a computer. I was only allowed to watch about 30 min tv per day as young child, but pc (game) time was unlimited. The opposite was true for most of my friends.

I had this then already outdated commodore 64 to play with, it loaded data from tapes, later 8-inch disks. My dad explained the basics of programming on it and I made some very very simple programs with. It was heaven on Earth. It could even communicate (chat) with another commodore 64 by wire.

I'm 2x years old so we also had a 368, 468 and later a pentium 75mh, etc, during my school years. But the commodore 64 is what got me all started with computers.

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

Loc: Portland, OR
    #12186808 - 03/11/10 10:08 PM (14 years, 20 days ago)

crappy 56k connection, ha. i started off w/ 14.4k, upgraded to 28.8k, which i believe eventually had a driver update to 33.6k.. local isps didn't even offer 56k when i moved out from home to college in '98, which was a quantum leap into a dorm room ethernet connection.

--------------------
Everything is better than it was the last time.  I'm good.

If we could look into each others hearts, and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care.

It takes a lot of courage to go out there and radiate your essence.

I know you scared, you should ask us if we scared too.  If you was there, and we just knew you cared too.

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

Re: The Modern Technology Appreciation Thread [Re: Annom]
    #12186892 - 03/11/10 10:24 PM (14 years, 20 days ago)

me too, my first was a tandy 1000, learned everything from typing, to every command in dos 2.11, to light programming w/ basic a (my own text based adventure games).  there were no other computer enthusiasts in the house, so i was on my own w/ it all. i hustled together the money for the first computer i bought when i was 13, a used 486sx 33mhz, which i upgraded to have its own sound card, cd-rom drive, and eventually 8mb of ram, 14.4k modem... couple years later was the first computer i built... p133, whopping 16mb of ram... 4mb 3d card eventually, 2x cd burner.

--------------------

If we could look into each others hearts, and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care.

I know you scared, you should ask us if we scared too.  If you was there, and we just knew you cared too.

Invisiblecortex
[ H ] ψ = [ E ] ψ
Male User Gallery

Re: The Modern Technology Appreciation Thread [Re: CosmicJoke]
    #12189192 - 03/12/10 10:25 AM (14 years, 20 days ago)

My 56k modem days are tainted with memories of Prodigy and Compuserve internet services, and their propietary browsers :argh:

I still remember when I figured out that you didn't actually have to use their browser, and after you connected, you could just minimize it and use mozilla.

That pic also reminds me of the days whem WinAmp was still good...

--------------------

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

#12189743 - 03/12/10 12:11 PM (14 years, 20 days ago)

oy, compuserve... my folks would be so livid w/ the bills i would rack up lol... was maybe $15 a month for first 6hrs and additonal $5 per hour after that... and this was just for their servers, something like $2.50 per hour additionally to use the internet at large...

haven't used windows forever, but i thought winamp still was reasonably good.  i miss milkdrop.

--------------------

Invisiblefrith
God

Re: The Modern Technology Appreciation Thread [Re: CosmicJoke]
    #12190479 - 03/12/10 02:03 PM (14 years, 20 days ago)

yeah man its been a long time since ive used windows too.. long time before that that i used winamp.

foobar2000 is the only windows app i would like to see ported to linux.. everything else i can live without.

--------------------

Offlinedummy
I am you and what I see is me

#12207048 - 03/15/10 03:21 PM (14 years, 17 days ago)

Quote:

LivioDoubleFang said:
Quote:

Frinkz said:

Yea, that would be the next one on the list, right up there with the gaming consoles.

lol a pc is a system of circuits as is a gaming console. they're the same thing. don't forget the computers that make your clothes, harvest your food, clean and deliver your water, make your power, transport you, etc etc etc etc --> etc

--------------------
People never seem to know what they least suspect is coming next.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order