Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineinsipidtoast
Stranger

Growing Underwater : The fish are in the aquarium...time to add the mushrooms!
    #12149928 - 03/05/10 05:19 PM (14 years, 27 days ago)

Since SWIM believes in taking full advantage of available resources with minimal additional purchases, SWIM has decided to use the already filled 10-gallon fish tank with 5 different fish to grow some mushrooms.

The reason: the aquarium has a flourescent light in the hood and a submerged heater, which keeps the water at a stable temp for the tropical fish and whatever else shall be submerged :smile:

...Thinking this method will be best for submersive growing to help create an air pocket underneath the water. A weight would have to be placed in the bottom of the bag to keep it submerged, but it might work.

SWIM wants to grow something other than cubensis.
Strain and/or species recommendations for these growing conditions?

Here's a pic of the potential growing environment:

Open to any suggestions...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleanonjon
Partially Right

Re: Growing Underwater : The fish are in the aquarium...time to add the mushrooms! [Re: insipidtoast]
    #12149966 - 03/05/10 05:26 PM (14 years, 27 days ago)

i like that video. simple and clear.

how are you going to provide air exchange if the shrooms are growing in a bag under water?

--------------------
The above post is fictional, hypothetical, or downright nonsensical.

:moon:  :moon:  :moon:  :moon:    :moon:

Offlineinsipidtoast
Stranger

Re: Growing Underwater : The fish are in the aquarium...time to add the mushrooms! [Re: anonjon]
    #12150539 - 03/05/10 07:40 PM (14 years, 27 days ago)

Maybe just open it every once in a while. Otherwise get something to prop it open so the water pressure doesn't collapse the bag. The bag could probably even be pinched into the hinged hood of the aquarium lid in order to keep it open.

SWIM also lives in a shed and has no access to a kitchen for sterilization/pasteurization purposes.

She is also leaning towards Panaeolus cyanescens

Offlinelinkin17222
Stranger

Re: Growing Underwater : The fish are in the aquarium...time to add the mushrooms! [Re: insipidtoast]
    #12150558 - 03/05/10 07:44 PM (14 years, 27 days ago)

Haha if you can grow pans in an aquarium like that document that shit.

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
    #12150560 - 03/05/10 07:45 PM (14 years, 27 days ago)

good luck with that :thumbup:

I dont perceive it working out but hey... I was wrong once before

InvisibleJonEveryman88
ಠ_ಠ
 User Gallery

Loc: Land of Maple Syrup Flag
Re: Growing Underwater : The fish are in the aquarium...time to add the mushrooms! [Re: linkin17222]
    #12150578 - 03/05/10 07:49 PM (14 years, 27 days ago)

I like that video. It had pretty colors:thumbup:

OfflineGanosaLiqueur
Stranger in a strange land
Male User Gallery

Re: Growing Underwater : The fish are in the aquarium...time to add the mushrooms! [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #12150584 - 03/05/10 07:50 PM (14 years, 27 days ago)

Drop the swim thing, not only does it offer zero protection in a court of law it is just plain annoying. Do we need to hold a funeral for SWIM here? It worked on TOTSE....

--------------------
"People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people."

May your bowl always be full and your spirit adventurous!

InvisibleShea25
Just some guy
Male

Loc: Westcoast Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #12150590 - 03/05/10 07:51 PM (14 years, 27 days ago)

Grow bags have a Filter patch how do you intend on using it under water?

InvisibleJonEveryman88
ಠ_ಠ
 User Gallery

Re: Growing Underwater : The fish are in the aquarium...time to add the mushrooms! [Re: GanosaLiqueur]
    #12150616 - 03/05/10 07:59 PM (14 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

GanosaLiqueur said:
Drop the swim thing, not only does it offer zero protection in a court of law it is just plain annoying. Do we need to hold a funeral for SWIM here? It worked on TOTSE....

Now now, no need to be a troll. He just doesn't want to admit to anything, nothing wrong with that.

Shea, I think what he would do is put the bag in the water with the filter patch suspended above the water line. I can actually see this happening, although as stated an obvious problem will be keeping the bag from deflating on itself due to the water pressure. A good idea would be to bend a coat hanger around into a rectangle, and affix it to either the inside of the bag or the outside, probably somewhere in the middle of the bag. Then maybe another, smaller one near the top and another regular-sized one on the bottom, just for good measure.

The bag will still deflate though, so it may require more support rods.

OP, I like this idea but honestly can't see it working without somehow keeping the bag rigid enough to prevent it from deflating. Not to mention, the extra work would not be worth it in my opinion. It'd be much easier to simply fruit outside of a fish tank.

But, having said that this is a pretty neat idea and would look really cool in my opinion. Like I said, if you keep find a way to keep the bag rigid and if you keep the filter patch above the water line it may actually work.

Cool idea:thumbup: Keep us posted OP.

OfflineGanosaLiqueur
Male User Gallery

Re: Growing Underwater : The fish are in the aquarium...time to add the mushrooms! [Re: JonEveryman88]
    #12150669 - 03/05/10 08:11 PM (14 years, 27 days ago)

Didn't mean to troll, I still wish I could meet who started the entire swim thing...talk in hypothetical situations, it is safer, as you will notice quite a few people have sigs saying they know nothing and just regurgitate information.

On topic though my suggestion to keep it open under water would be to use a rigid, tall Tupperware for the container, the kind you would store spaghetti in before cooking. It would work wonders in your situation and they are usually cheap at places like walmart. If not that then get something that can go around the container in the bag and is hallow, I have a cheese grater that I would use if in this situation, just before inserting it rub it down very well with 91% iso and let dry completely before putting it in the bag.

--------------------
"People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people."

InvisibleShea25
Just some guy
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Growing Underwater : The fish are in the aquarium...time to add the mushrooms! [Re: GanosaLiqueur]
    #12150674 - 03/05/10 08:12 PM (14 years, 27 days ago)

70% iso is better for disinfecting

OfflineGanosaLiqueur
Male User Gallery

Re: Growing Underwater : The fish are in the aquarium...time to add the mushrooms! [Re: Shea25]
    #12150682 - 03/05/10 08:14 PM (14 years, 27 days ago)

Realy? I always go with 91% or if I can find it higher, figuring the higher concentration is more effective. The other benefit that I see from it is that it dries quicker as there is less H2O

--------------------

InvisibleShea25
Just some guy
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #12150686 - 03/05/10 08:17 PM (14 years, 27 days ago)

The water content in 70% tricks cells into opening up letting the 70% iso do its job better.

Save the 91-99% iso for a alcohol lamp

Edited by Shea25 (03/05/10 08:17 PM)

InvisibleJonEveryman88
ಠ_ಠ
 User Gallery

#12150703 - 03/05/10 08:20 PM (14 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

GanosaLiqueur said:
Realy? I always go with 91% or if I can find it higher, figuring the higher concentration is more effective. The other benefit that I see from it is that it dries quicker as there is less H2O

Isopropyl alcohol disinfects by being absorbed by cell walls of the bacterium, where it degrades/ damages the cell's DNA/ RNA and prevents the cell from reproducing. It also works being degrading the cell wall itself. Least, that's how it is hypothesized.

The reason why we don't use high-purity isopropyl alcohol is because water is needed to assist in this process. See, 91% or higher isoproyl alcohol is left effective then 70% because when more water is present, to a certain point, it "tricks" the cell into absorbing the alcohol-water mix faster then the 91%+ does.

OfflineGanosaLiqueur
Male User Gallery

Re: Growing Underwater : The fish are in the aquarium...time to add the mushrooms! [Re: Shea25]
    #12150715 - 03/05/10 08:23 PM (14 years, 27 days ago)

Interesting, not what I expected. I'll keep that in mind next time I pick some ISO up, the 70 is a bit cheaper so I guess I can save a few bucks.

Op, I know you do not want to buy anything new. The things is that what you are planning to do, well the cons outweigh the pros. Depending on the fish you could have a buildup of a few gasses that while they are safe for humans, the increased levels the mushrooms are exposed to will most likely harm the myc. Also using a tank that has fish in it leads to a whole host of potential contams if any of that water comes in contact with your sub.

Just some food for thought, I will be following this, as it is quite interesting thing to try.

--------------------

Offlineinsipidtoast
Stranger

#12151099 - 03/05/10 09:53 PM (14 years, 27 days ago)

Nice...thanks for the support. I'm just looking to see what the best species is for this set up (plastic tray inside of the grow bag underneath the water). Perhaps P. cubensis would be better because it can fruit more easily from the spawn, and SWIM could just use one of those pre-sterilized grow bags, then throw some store-bought sterilized compost mix for the case layer.

It might be kind of a pain to sterilize a substrate given the circumstances (no kitchen). Cubes will grow readily on rye grain, right?

As someone else said, maybe it's best to leave the pan cyans for a plastic storage container on a shelf. Nonetheless I'm open to suggestions for making this work.

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Growing Underwater : The fish are in the aquarium...time to add the mushrooms! [Re: JonEveryman88]
    #12151166 - 03/05/10 10:07 PM (14 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

JonEveryman88 said:
It'd be much easier to simply fruit outside of a fish tank.

given that they'll incubate and fruit at room temperatures just fine, I'm
inclined to agree, I've frequently grown bags on my desk, my concern
would be with the hokey grow kit... open container, use tap water, no
sterilization needed?

InvisibleJonEveryman88
ಠ_ಠ
 User Gallery

Re: Growing Underwater : The fish are in the aquarium...time to add the mushrooms! [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #12151173 - 03/05/10 10:08 PM (14 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

given that they'll incubate and fruit at room temperatures just fine, I'm
inclined to agree, I've frequently grown bags on my desk, my concern
would be with the hokey grow kit... open container, use tap water, no
sterilization needed?

Actually, it's already colonized. Adding water re-hydrates it.

I thought it was fucked up too til I checked out the website. Seems pretty cool.

Edited by JonEveryman88 (03/05/10 10:09 PM)

Invisibleanonjon
Partially Right

#12151598 - 03/05/10 11:28 PM (14 years, 27 days ago)

i'll have to try fruiting a cake in my toilet tank

--------------------
The above post is fictional, hypothetical, or downright nonsensical.

:moon:  :moon:  :moon:  :moon:    :moon:

Offlineinsipidtoast
Stranger

Re: Growing Underwater : The fish are in the aquarium...time to add the mushrooms! [Re: anonjon]
    #12151948 - 03/06/10 01:12 AM (14 years, 26 days ago)

"given that they'll incubate and fruit at room temperatures just fine" -Is this true? I think I've read something else along these lines about pan cyan.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract