Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinelvleph
mathematicalidiot

Prevent Contamination
    #1201957 - 01/08/03 05:32 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Every time I have made some cakes, I seem to get about a 25% contamination. That is really shitty. Anyway, I know that my jars were not contamed since I let them sit for  a month once, and there was none growing. But low and behold 25% contamination. So I figured it was either the syringe or the innoculation process, since I bought the syringe I was pretty sure it was not that. Well then it must be the innoculation process. I tried to be as clean as possible, but I guess I am just a dirty hippy. Anyway to make a long story short I decided that I would wipe the needle with a cotton swab dipped in alcohol between each jar. Guess what, out of 27 jars not one got contammed. Yay! :grin: 

--------------------
"Man was born free and is every where in chains."

Edited by lvleph (01/08/03 05:42 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: Prevent Contamination [Re: lvleph]
    #1201964 - 01/08/03 05:34 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Good to hear. I'm getting fewer contams as I go along. I dont know if I'm lucky or my methods are improving.

Best of luck. AWG

Invisibledeprave
GrandmasterToker

Loc: DownUnder
Re: Prevent Contamination [Re: ]
    #1202257 - 01/08/03 08:13 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

it really helps me to be more sterile if i plan ahead 3 nice hours or so that ill be alone and undisturbed during insolation and sterilization processes(so that I'm not rushing anything and for some other reasons)

--------------------

NONE OF THE ABOVE IS TRUE I LIKE TO WRITE STORIES

Edited by deprave (01/08/03 08:15 PM)

OfflineAngry Mycologist
Spontaneouslycombusting

Loc: Galapagos
    #1202483 - 01/08/03 11:20 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Good job. Using an alcohol flame also helps a lot.

--------------------
The proper penalty of ignorance, which is of course that those who don't know should learn from those who do... - Plato

Offlinegee_bone
Seeker FromNature

Re: Prevent Contamination [Re: Angry Mycologist]
    #1202852 - 01/09/03 02:26 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah, I dip the needle in alcohol and flame it off with a lighter after each jar.

I guess human nature dictates that we will never go through with as much prevention as we should until it bites us in the ass. We humans have a wonderful way of thinking that bad things won't happen to us, so most of us just do the bare minimum to prevent accidents from occurring...... until one does.

My first time I was blatantly irreverent to the knowledge held in these rooms. I didn't sterilize, I didn't maintain or even measure a constant temperature. In return for my non-efforts I cultivated three seperate strains of contam.

After enjoying watching them fight with each other for nutrients and space I sent them all packing. Cleaned everything and started fresh. Now I am a kitchen nazi, sending my roomates scrambling when I was innoculating. Leaving the kitchen smelliing of day old rubbing alcohol and dead Bacteria and mould.

I also enjoy a lot more fruits of my labours.

--------------------
Dissidents are punished far more by themselves than by society.

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
    #1203197 - 01/09/03 05:14 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

identifying the contaminant can go a long ways towards eradicating it. unless you get different contams every time.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order