Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleveggieM

Jury acquits DEA agent Lee Lucas on all 18 charges related to drug investigation [OH]
    #11972416 - 02/05/10 09:37 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Jury acquits DEA agent Lee Lucas on all 18 charges related to drug investigation
February 5, 2010 - cleveland.com

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Lee Lucas broke into tears Friday after a courtroom deputy read aloud the verdict of not guilty to all 18 criminal charges the DEA agent faced stemming from a 2005 drug investigation.

The burly career drug agent hugged his lawyer and began to sob. He appeared to mouth the words "thank you" to the jury across the room.

His many supporters in the courtroom held their emotions in check until the jury departed, then broke into applause. Fellow officers from as far away as California came to watch the climax of the intense, four-week trial.

"The truth finally came out after all those years," said Lucas, 41, as he walked from the courtroom, flanked by fellow officers.

The verdict capped a 2-1/2-year scandal that rocked the federal courthouse in Cleveland, in which people who pleaded guilty were released from prison, lawyers raised questions about Lucas's tactics and Lucas adamantly denied doing anything but working hard to lock up drug dealers.

Jurors deliberated for nearly two full days. They had 18 charges to consider, including multiple counts of perjury, obstruction of justice and violating civil rights.

"There was not strong evidence to convict him," said one juror, who didn't want to give his name. He said Jerrell Bray, the informant Lucas supervised who admitted framing people, was not credible.

"Absolutely not," he said.

Lucas' lawyer criticized The Plain Dealer's coverage of Lucas and the controversy surrounding his cases.

"You had him convicted in the newspaper for years," Tom Roth said.

The charges against Lucas stemmed from a 2005 drug investigation in Mansfield that resulted in about two dozen indictments. Nearly all the charges were later dropped after Bray tearfully admitted that he framed people by staging phone calls and purposely identifying the wrong people as drug sellers.

Prosecutors accused Lucas of lying in written reports and in court to corroborate Bray's testimony.

Lucas has been heralded by fellow officers as a tireless and committed agent. He went to work for the DEA after graduating from Baldwin-Wallace College. His first assignment was in Miami and then Bolivia, where he often slept in the jungle as part of a drug-interdiction force near the Brazilian border.

The DEA then gave Lucas his choice of assignments. He returned to his native Cleveland, where he worked closely with the Cleveland Police narcotics unit, often pulling double shifts.

In 2005, Bray was already working as an informant for Mansfield-area police when he came to Cleveland to settle an old score. In a shootout years ago, a drug dealer named Michael Frost had left Bray for dead. So he went to work for Cleveland police to bust Frost, Bray testified.

That's when Lucas met Bray and his Richland County handlers.

Lucas said in court that he offered to help the Richland County Sheriff's Office in the future, not expecting to be taken up on it. But he was, and for two months in 2005 he made regular trips to Mansfield, where he helped supervise Bray and provided the money necessary to make larger drug buys.

That investigation spun out of control, Bray said, when he mislead his handlers, including Lucas, in part to settle old scores in Mansfield. Bray pleaded guilty to lying and is serving 15 years in prison.

Among the charges against Lucas were that he lied during two trials and fudged investigation reports.

Lucas took the witness stand and refuted claims by Bray, the people he helped but in jail and even fellow officers who worked with him on the investigation but testified against him.

Roth tried to instill reasonable doubt in the jurors during his closing arguments on Wednesday. He said the memory of Lucas' fellow drug agents couldn't be trusted.

In the case of Geneva France, who was found guilty by a jury in 2006, Lucas was first shown a picture of another woman before he identified France from a photo.

If Lucas was in the business of framing people, "Why wouldn't he say, yeah, that's her?" when first shown the photo the other woman, Roth asked. "It's an easy way out for him if he's just trying to make cases on anybody."

Roth also claimed the cell phone records prosecutors used to show Bray staged drug deals could not be trusted. Bray used multiple cell phones, not just the ones the government checked, Roth said.

The calls on those phones "were monitored almost exclusively by Chuck Metcalf," Roth said. Metcalf is the Richland County deputy who worked most closely with Lucas and Bray. He pleaded guilty last year to lying about one of the drug deals and agreed to testify against Lucas.

Roth also dismissed the prosecution's claim that several people pleaded guilty to crimes they didn't commit because they were worried they would spend even more time in prison if convicted at trial.

"Everybody who pleaded guilty in the Mansfield cases pleaded guilty because they were guilty," he said.

Pleading guilty is "not a casual thing," Roth said.

Roth also said people arrested in the investigation were career criminals with long records of selling crack cocaine.

"Lee Lucas is on the flip side of that," Roth said. "He signed up for the war on drugs. He's a proud foot soldier and that's it."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblenooneman
Male

Loc: Utah
Re: Jury acquits DEA agent Lee Lucas on all 18 charges related to drug investigation [OH] [Re: veggie]
    #11972454 - 02/05/10 09:43 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, this guy gets to go free, but that guy who cooked meth in his garage gets 60 fucking years :facepalm:

Invisiblevandago
 User Gallery

Loc: .
Re: Jury acquits DEA agent Lee Lucas on all 18 charges related to drug investigation [OH] [Re: veggie]
    #11972459 - 02/05/10 09:43 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I hope that informant gets what he deserves.  What a shadey little prick.

Offlinewinterone
Earth Wanderer

Re: Jury acquits DEA agent Lee Lucas on all 18 charges related to drug investigation [OH] [Re: vandago]
    #11972942 - 02/05/10 11:14 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I believe there will be tombstone with his name and the saying;

Quote:

"He signed up for the war on drugs. He's a proud foot soldier and that's it."

This kind of Shit make me sick  :puke:

--------------------
Alice
I wonder if I've been changed in the night? Let me think. Was I the same when I got up this morning? I almost think I can remember feeling a little different. But if I'm not the same, the next question is 'Who in the world am I?' Ah, that's the great puzzle!

InvisibleMrKnightVision
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: BGS
    #11973862 - 02/06/10 06:19 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Everyone mentioned in this story was lying. But supposedly Lucas was the only innocent one........hmmm just doesnt sound right. DEA= Done Escaped Arainment(sp?)

--------------------
I'm Looking for Vietnamese Pans :pm: For More Info

I LIVE IN MY OWN LITTLE WORLD, BUT IT'S OK...THEY KNOW ME HERE

InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot

Loc: Flag
    #11974213 - 02/06/10 09:03 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I read the article in Playboy on this guy.

There are numerous people who spent YEARS in jail because of his false testimony. He is, perhaps, one of the worst DEA agents to have out on the streets.

Please, wiki him or look into more information, these are fucking atrocities... I can't believe he got off free - my wife can't believe it either.

What a worthless piece of shit, fuck this government. Too bad some of the "niggers" from his operation entitled "NIGGERS WITH RIMS" didn't get him.

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
Re: Jury acquits DEA agent Lee Lucas on all 18 charges related to drug investigation [OH] [Re: Adden]
    #11974345 - 02/06/10 09:56 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

LOL was that seriously the Operation name?

--------------------
:heartpump: { { { ṧ◎ηḯ¢ αʟ¢ℌ℮мƴ } } } :heartpump:

InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot

Re: Jury acquits DEA agent Lee Lucas on all 18 charges related to drug investigation [OH] [Re: Adamist]
    #11974411 - 02/06/10 10:19 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Unfortunately.

I think something like 34 people spent years behind jail and at the time the article was written only about ten were freed.

And yes, Lucas coined the term himself. Specifically targeted "vehicles that (they) couldn't afford below the poverty line".

The article also noted how he'd send his informant into the cars with drugs, walk out, and say he bought them.

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
Re: Jury acquits DEA agent Lee Lucas on all 18 charges related to drug investigation [OH] [Re: Adden]
    #11974425 - 02/06/10 10:22 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

That is just unfuckingbelievable. :wtf:

--------------------
:heartpump: { { { ṧ◎ηḯ¢ αʟ¢ℌ℮мƴ } } } :heartpump:

InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot

Re: Jury acquits DEA agent Lee Lucas on all 18 charges related to drug investigation [OH] [Re: Adamist]
    #11974443 - 02/06/10 10:27 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

He's guilty of a lot of terrible shit, I don't care what a jury of his peers says.

No strong evidence to convict him? Are these people fucking fools? The prosecutor really made this an easy case for Lucas. He should be spending life behind bars for the lives he's ruined and the atrocities committed.

Even the simple fact he put a single mother behind bars and she can't see her child again should ruin him. Basically just busted her door in and started screaming "Where's the crack?" and arrested her. I gotta find this article, it's really good, you'll see how guilty Lucas really is.

InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot

#11974458 - 02/06/10 10:30 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Deputy sheriff testifies during Lee Lucas trial that he lied on stand

CLEVELAND, Ohio — A Richland County deputy sheriff testified Wednesday that he did not identify a suspected Mansfield drug dealer during a stakeout in 2005, contrary to what DEA Agent Lee Lucas had stated under oath at the man's trial.

Lucas, whose testimony and investigative work contributed to 26 drug arrests in Mansfield in 2005, is now the one on trial in U.S. District Court, charged with lying under oath to bolster the claims of Jerrell Bray, a paid informant he supervised.

Bray has pleaded guilty to framing several people, including Dwayne Nabors, who owned a rim and music store called Platinum Status. Bray testified last week that he pretended to call Nabors to arrange a $10,000 cocaine deal and then faked a meeting with him at Platinum Status.

Lucas testified at Nabors' trial that he and Metcalf followed a black Cadillac from the parking lot of Platinum Status, pulled up along side it and that both identified Nabors as the driver.

But deputy Chuck Metcalf said Wednesday that didn't happen, even though that's what Metcalf also testified to at Nabors' trial.

Metcalf said he simply "regurgitated" information on a DEA report prepared by Lucas before the trial that stated he and Lucas identified Nabors as the driver. He said he knew it was wrong, but testified that it was true because that's what he thought others would testify to.

When federal prosecutor Michael Comber asked why, Metcalf responded: "because I wanted to support the case."

"Knowing it not to be true?" Comber said.

"Knowing it not to be true," Metcalf replied.

Metcalf said that if he had been running the investigation he probably would not have lied on the stand. Lucas and the DEA were heading up the investigation at the time.

Metcalf pleaded guilty last year to a misdemeanor crime of violating Nabors' civil rights, stemming from one of the lies he told under oath during Nabors' 2006 trial.

Federal prosecutors agreed not to press additional charges Metcalf in exchange for his assistance in their case against Lucas. He could face up to one year in prison when sentenced.

On cross-examination, Lucas' attorney Thomas Roth tried to attack Metcalf's credibility, questioning him about prior statements and his deal with prosecutors.

Metcalf said Lucas never told him what to say, but that his preparation for the Nabors' trial with federal prosecutor Blas Serrano was not nearly as comprehensive he usually faced in Richland County.

Metcalf also admitted that he signed a false affidavit used to obtain a search warrant of Nabors' home. Metcalf said Lucas filled out most of the details explaining why police had good reason to search the home and did not look at them very closely before signing off.

Metcalf said had he looked at the wording more closely before presenting the affidavit to the judge: "I would have probably had to change some things."

Authorities used that search warrant to raid Nabors' home. They did not find drugs, but did find guns, which were illegal since Nabors had a prior felony conviction.

Nabors was acquitted of drug charges during his trial but convicted on the firearms charge. He was sentenced to five years in prison, but the conviction was vacated after Bray came forward and admitted to lying on the stand. Nabors had spent two years locked up by that point.

InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot

#11974482 - 02/06/10 10:35 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

It's in the December 2009 issue. I can't find it publicly available, but I'm sure there's a torrent or something.

Anyone interested in this or wants to know how hard the biggest organization in this War is fucking YOU and your fellow citizens in the ass... read this.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates