Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineSmackshadow
It's Time for Wild Speculation

Parking Tickets
    #11949916 - 02/02/10 06:42 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

How is it that we have enough cops that in the time it takes me to run into a coffee shop order and pay for a cup of coffee so I will have change to plug the meter I already have a ticket, but when my car gets broken into and my banjo gets stolen there is nothing thet anyone can do about it?  That and $45 for maybe 10 mins of unpaid parking, you have to be kidding me. 

I have always been positive when discussing police, but I am starting to think that they are less concerned with serving and protecting then they are with being tax collectors for petty legal infractions.  Infractions that probably wouldn't even be illegal if it weren't for the fact that they make $45 every time they catch someone.

--------------------
The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.

~H. L. Mencken~

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ohio Flag
Re: Parking Tickets [Re: Smackshadow]
    #11949940 - 02/02/10 06:46 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Most parking tickets here aren't written by cops.

--------------------
!

Invisiblefrith
God

Loc: Philadelphia, PA Flag
Re: Parking Tickets [Re: jewunit]
    #11950017 - 02/02/10 06:57 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

philadelphia has a privately owned company issue parking tickets. they are not commisioned, paid for, or run by the city at all. as far as i know the city gets no kickback either.

there was a show on A&E called parking wars. it was all about philly.

--------------------

OfflineGrizzdude
Twistificated
 User Gallery

Loc: The year of the Big Dirty
    #11950032 - 02/02/10 06:59 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I used to get hit with a ticket for parking right in front of my house, many times. they passed some stupid sticker in your windshield law and I refused to stick it to my windshield so I would just put it in the window at night. Well the days I forget to put it up they fuckin give me a ticket for parking in front of my own house. This went on for a couple years. Is that fucked up or what? And yes this is YOUR police deptartment that is doing this to it's citizens that they are supposed to protect and serve.

--------------------

OfflineMaurer

#11950040 - 02/02/10 07:00 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Smackshadow said:
How is it that we have enough cops that in the time it takes me to run into a coffee shop order and pay for a cup of coffee so I will have change to plug the meter I already have a ticket, but when my car gets broken into and my banjo gets stolen there is nothing thet anyone can do about it?  That and $45 for maybe 10 mins of unpaid parking, you have to be kidding me. 

I have always been positive when discussing police, but I am starting to think that they are less concerned with serving and protecting then they are with being tax collectors for petty legal infractions.  Infractions that probably wouldn't even be illegal if it weren't for the fact that they make $45 every time they catch someone.

I just got out of jail for being drunk in my own home when no one was around...

--------------------

Offlinefear.loathingSF
one toke over the line
Male User Gallery

Loc: San Francisco
Re: Parking Tickets [Re: Maurer]
    #11950060 - 02/02/10 07:02 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Maurer said:
Quote:

Smackshadow said:

I just got out of jail for being drunk in my own home when no one was around...

Welcome to Amerika where you are free to do what you are told to.  That is pure insanity maurer

Edited by fear.loathingSF (02/02/10 07:03 PM)

OfflineSmackshadow
It's Time for Wild Speculation

Re: Parking Tickets [Re: Maurer]
    #11950061 - 02/02/10 07:02 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

That is fucked up.

--------------------
The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.

~H. L. Mencken~

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery

Re: Parking Tickets [Re: Grizzdude]
    #11950067 - 02/02/10 07:03 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Grizzdude said:
I used to get hit with a ticket for parking right in front of my house, many times. they passed some stupid sticker in your windshield law and I refused to stick it to my windshield so I would just put it in the window at night. Well the days I forget to put it up they fuckin give me a ticket for parking in front of my own house. This went on for a couple years. Is that fucked up or what? And yes this is YOUR police deptartment that is doing this to it's citizens that they are supposed to protect and serve.

Not really. You know how much it sucks to not have off-street parking and have all the spots taken by people who don't live in their neighborhood? They gave you a sticker for a reason. Shit, here it's not even free to get the permit.

--------------------
!

OfflineGrizzdude
Twistificated
 User Gallery

#11950087 - 02/02/10 07:07 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

jewunit said:
Quote:

Grizzdude said:

Not really. You know how much it sucks to not have off-street parking and have all the spots taken by people who don't live in their neighborhood? They gave you a sticker for a reason. Shit, here it's not even free to get the permit.

Yeah but parking is not a problem at all and they pass this? lived there many years before they passed this crappy law and never ever was a problem at all. All I see is a way to generate more money. And how is it not fucked up giving a homeowner a ticket for parking in front of their house anyway?

--------------------

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
    #11950099 - 02/02/10 07:08 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Grizzdude said:
I used to get hit with a ticket for parking right in front of my house, many times.

you live in chicago?

OfflineGrizzdude
Twistificated
 User Gallery

Re: Parking Tickets [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #11950108 - 02/02/10 07:09 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
Quote:

Grizzdude said:
I used to get hit with a ticket for parking right in front of my house, many times.

you live in chicago?

Nope just a small city with too many cops:shrug:

--------------------

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery

#11950140 - 02/02/10 07:13 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

You're a homeowner, not a city block owner.

I guess I'm just used to it now, but I really don't see why it's a big deal. Especially if they just give you the free permit. They're saying "Hey you can still park here, but no one else can. Free reserved parking!"

What blows is having to move your car to the other side of the road every night at 6. Though I don't live in Syracuse anymore so I don't have to deal with that.

--------------------
!

Invisiblefrith
God

Loc: Philadelphia, PA Flag
    #11950195 - 02/02/10 07:20 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

dude id love it if i had a sticker. there are fist fights in south philly over parking spaces.

usually you have to be a resident at least a year and they you have to pay something like $300/year for a space.

--------------------

Edited by frith (02/02/10 07:20 PM)

OfflineGr8fulJ420
strange but nota stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: 0 moco
    #11950210 - 02/02/10 07:22 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

jewunit said:
What blows is having to move your car to the other side of the road every night at 6. Though I don't live in Syracuse anymore so I don't have to deal with that.

This is the worst. I hated that shit in my old town. Going out of town for a few days and having to find some other neighborhood to park my car so it wouldn't get ticketed. Walking to the bar, passing out at home later that night without moving the car, and finding a ticket on your car the next day cuz it's past the deadline. I think that was an ordinance passed to fuck over the college kids living in multi-unit dwellings. Because proper home-owners just park in their driveway or garage, not the street, right?

Offlinelearningtofly
Ancient Aliens
Male

Loc: Out of this world
    #11950220 - 02/02/10 07:23 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Grizzdude said:

if you don't have the sticker on how the fuck do you expect them to know that you have a sticker? They can't read your mind.

--------------------

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
    #11950247 - 02/02/10 07:27 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Don't be mad at the police.

It's not a law enforcement issue.

It's a revenue issue for your municipality.

Go to a city council meeting and raise some hell.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

#11950256 - 02/02/10 07:29 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I always wonder about parking tickets.  In general, when I see a sign that says

"NO PARKING", I don't park there.  Amazingly, I don't get parking tickets.

Sure, there are times when I risk it, but I wouldn't be surprised or upset if I did get a ticket.  Unmarked areas are a different story, but do people that constantly get tickets have literacy issues?  Or cognitive problems?  Or do you just not understand what "NO PARKING" means?

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery

Re: Parking Tickets [Re: Gr8fulJ420]
    #11950258 - 02/02/10 07:29 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

In 'Cuse it's for good reason. Most of the streets aren't wide enough to have cars parked on both sides with room for the plows which run essentially every day in the winter.

Even if they were and people parked on both sides the sides of the roads would never get plowed which makes parking on the street a bitch too.

But yeah nothing sucked more than getting drunk as hell over winter break and forgetting to move my car.

Edit: I get tickets all the time. However I don't bitch about them and I understand why I got them. Although yesterday I parked illegally and got towed. If it were marked as a tow away zone I wouldn't have left my car there. That sucks, hopefully I can bug the city about it.

--------------------
!

InvisibleUnholyChild666
I'M GOD
Male
Loc: Flag
Re: Parking Tickets [Re: frith]
    #11950281 - 02/02/10 07:33 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

frith said:
philadelphia has a privately owned company issue parking tickets. they are not commisioned, paid for, or run by the city at all. as far as i know the city gets no kickback either.

there was a show on A&E called parking wars. it was all about philly.

the same goes with those cameras at the lights that's why no one would pay them.

--------------------

"I am the Highest Power the leader of the pack"

Actiavte My Dream Sequence Machine

GOD of the hologram earth

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Re: Parking Tickets [Re: UnholyChild666]
    #11950360 - 02/02/10 07:44 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Chicago just leased out it's parking meters last year.

It's a huge fiasco.

The mayor may get voted out of office over it, and he's been in power for decades, since his dad died.  Who was in power for decades.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order