Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSaturdayraining
Wendigo
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Temples of Syrinx, WA Flag
What is the largest Gilled Fruiting body?
    #11931287 - 01/30/10 05:54 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

You know, something that looks like a mushroom, not an especially large shelf mushroom, like Oxyporus nobilissimus

--------------------
- Saturday

I have a lot of friends in the drug culture. I try to help them out by posting on here, and sometimes they put stuff up without my permission, but I do not condone or commit any acts described.

“In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion"
-Carl Sagan

Anyone have some Macrocybe Titans spores or samples? PM me

Edited by Saturdayraining (01/30/10 06:05 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTwiztidsage
Fungal Databaser
Male

Loc: Seattle Flag
Re: What is the largest Gilled Fruiting body? [Re: Saturdayraining]
    #11931735 - 01/30/10 07:14 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Here is a large ungilled mushroom, but at least it is not a polypore:

I believe it to be Boletus edulis, but it could be something similar. Whatever it was, it was delicious.

As far as what species is the largest, I have no idea. I know Amanitas can get pretty big, as well as Agaricus. Calvatia get huge as well, but they are puffballs so they don't have gills either. I'm sure someone on here will know what gets the biggest genus.

InvisibleCaine
lab rat
Male User Gallery

Loc: NE
Re: What is the largest Gilled Fruiting body? [Re: Twiztidsage]
    #11931768 - 01/30/10 07:19 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I've seen some huge Amanita Virosa on the paths around my house. Probably 10-12 inches tall and 1-2 wide (stem). I'd have to say that A. Virosa is my favorite mushroom. Just look at how awesome they are:

I've also seen some giant Russula sp., though they tend to be more head heavy and close to the ground rather than tall and majestic.

OfflineChaos_ultt
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: What is the largest Gilled Fruiting body? [Re: Caine]
    #11931786 - 01/30/10 07:21 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Cactu once posted a picture of a mushroom that was like 3 feet tall and probably about 2 1/2 - 3 feet wide.

OfflineTwiztidsage
Fungal Databaser
Male

#11931795 - 01/30/10 07:23 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Beautiful picture, beautiful mushroom. I have never picked any of the angels (not sure which one it is that grows in Washington at the moment, brain poot) but am very excited for the day I stumble across one and eat it.

:bliss:

Just kidding about the eat it part.

OfflineTwiztidsage
Fungal Databaser
Male

Re: What is the largest Gilled Fruiting body? [Re: Chaos_ultt]
    #11931802 - 01/30/10 07:24 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Chaos_ultt said:
Cactu once posted a picture of a mushroom that was like 3 feet tall and probably about 2 1/2 - 3 feet wide.

I forgot about that one. Macrocybe titans or something like that? That thing is friggin' hugemongous.

OfflineTwiztidsage
Fungal Databaser
Male

#11931817 - 01/30/10 07:26 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I can't believe I forgot about it.

InvisibleCaine
lab rat
Male User Gallery

#11931845 - 01/30/10 07:29 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Oh wow... That is a HUGE mushroom. Any word on edibility?

OfflineTwiztidsage
Fungal Databaser
Male

#11931952 - 01/30/10 07:45 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

OfflineSaturdayraining
Wendigo
Male User Gallery

#11932046 - 01/30/10 07:58 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

holy agaricales, batman, that is a large fungus.
I love things that look so prehistoric.
I would  also give my left nut for one.
I am not knowledgeable in this subject, so I look forward to reading all these posts by those who are

--------------------
- Saturday

I have a lot of friends in the drug culture. I try to help them out by posting on here, and sometimes they put stuff up without my permission, but I do not condone or commit any acts described.

“In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion"
-Carl Sagan

OfflineTwiztidsage
Fungal Databaser
Male

#11932062 - 01/30/10 08:00 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Welcome to the wonderful world of fungus.

:bliss:

InvisibleCaine
lab rat
Male User Gallery

#11932066 - 01/30/10 08:01 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Saturdayraining said:
I am not knowledgeable in this subject,

I started learning by reading the National Audubon Society's field guide to mushrooms. It's pretty fun stuff, why not give it a shot?

OfflineTwiztidsage
Fungal Databaser
Male

#11932087 - 01/30/10 08:03 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

4-Hydroxy-DMT said:
Quote:

Saturdayraining said:
I am not knowledgeable in this subject,

I started learning by reading the National Audubon Society's field guide to mushrooms. It's pretty fun stuff, why not give it a shot?

As did I. Followed by Psilocybin Mushrooms of the World, Mushrooms of North America, Mushrooms Demystified, and Mycelium Running (A+++!!!). Among random other books I could get my hands on, as well as web sites, of course.

OfflineSaturdayraining
Wendigo
Male User Gallery

#11932606 - 01/30/10 09:36 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

the order ive learned-

PF tek
psilocybin mushroom handbook
mushroom cultivator
mycelium running
scanning some (good) Field guide when i found a mushroom that I liked
psil.of the world
And am now on to acually studying the various kinds and vocab associated with mushrooms out of the audobon handbook (haven't gotten very far, but im working on it :smile:

so let me rephrase- im am not that knowledgable YET :grin:

--------------------
- Saturday

-Carl Sagan

OfflineSaturdayraining
Wendigo
Male User Gallery

#11932657 - 01/30/10 09:44 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

ahve these ever been grown "in captivity" (not sure the nomenclature- "cultivated" maybe?)
if so, where can I trade my left nut to get some spores? they certainly seem to be the largest out there

any grow teks?

:laugh:

--------------------
- Saturday

-Carl Sagan

OfflineSaturdayraining
Wendigo
Male User Gallery

#11932676 - 01/30/10 09:48 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

holy hell, it has
and it can
I need this paper

"The tropical giant mushroom Macrocybe titans is edible and can be cultivated."

http://www.cababstractsplus.org/abstracts/Abstract.aspx?AcNo=20053061090

I suppose I should ask a proper mycologyst before I go all gung ho... but I would certainly devote time to growing it, and even more time to making it largER

--------------------
- Saturday

-Carl Sagan

OfflineSaturdayraining
Wendigo
Male User Gallery

#11932890 - 01/30/10 10:26 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

does anybody have access to that paper?

--------------------
- Saturday

-Carl Sagan

OfflineSaturdayraining
Wendigo
Male User Gallery

#11933501 - 01/31/10 12:58 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

oh, and they are edible, apparently, according to the paper (WHICH I STILL CAN'T FIND)

--------------------
- Saturday

-Carl Sagan

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a Chemical Vacation
    #11933605 - 01/31/10 01:37 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Yes, they are edible. I'd love to get my hands on some of its spores also.

--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

Offlineobi
Du Bois
Male User Gallery

Loc: Europa
Re: What is the largest Gilled Fruiting body? [Re: German Kahuna]
    #11934075 - 01/31/10 05:19 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Not a gilled mushroom but a pretty big bolete ;

Found this pic in an old Belgian cultivation book.

"This friendly African lady had no problem balancing the 9 kg Giant Bolete on top of her head during the photo shoot. Such beautiful mushrooms are not rare in Africa"

--------------------
To live is to fly

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom