Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineSmeeeeg
Entheogenic Philosopher
Male

Does Sugar Cause Cancer?
    #11919041 - 01/28/10 04:20 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Sugar in moderation is essential for the development of the human body. Many studies point to how hazardous sugar is if consumed routinely during a lifetime.

But does it cause cancer?

Take a normal healthy houseplant.
if you were to stop feeding it, it would die.

so if we were to apply this to cells, is sugar the main food for cellular growth?

If this were all true the elimination of sugar from the diet would be effective for the prevention of cancer.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDeeGee
Insert Title Here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Sunny Southern California Flag
Re: Does Sugar Cause Cancer? [Re: Smeeeeg]
    #11919140 - 01/28/10 04:30 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I actually heard the correlation of sugar and cancer discussed on NPR the other day from the dude who wrote the book Anticancer.

From what I got out of it is that we should all cut down on sugars. Sugar doesn't necessarily cause cancer, but apparently cancer cells feed on it.

To answer your question, cutting sugars is highly recommended for cancer prevention.

--------------------
DG
:plur:

OfflineJabbawaya

Re: Does Sugar Cause Cancer? [Re: DeeGee]
    #11920485 - 01/28/10 08:13 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Sugar, as in table sugar, sucrose, is definitely not intrinsically carcinogenic. But an excessive sugar intake (which is bad for your blood sugar and blood pressure), poor diet, and/or lack of exercise can certainly lead to diseases like cancer or reduce your ability to fight it.

--------------------

OfflineSmeeeeg
Entheogenic Philosopher
Male

Re: Does Sugar Cause Cancer? [Re: Jabbawaya]
    #11920826 - 01/28/10 09:15 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Jabbawaya said:
Sugar, as in table sugar, sucrose, is definitely not intrinsically carcinogenic. But an excessive sugar intake (which is bad for your blood sugar and blood pressure), poor diet, and/or lack of exercise can certainly lead to diseases like cancer or reduce your ability to fight it.

But

Quote:

DeeGee said:
From what I got out of it is that we should all cut down on sugars. Sugar doesn't necessarily cause cancer, but apparently cancer cells feed on it.

Sugar may not be Carcinogenic but if it feeds cancer then thats definately a problem. If plants cannot grow without sun then cancer cannot spread or reproduce without sugar.

--------------------
Each religion has got their own way of making you feel like a victim. The Christians say "you are a sinner", and you better just zip up your trousers and give the money to the pope and we'll give you a room up in the hotel in the sky

-Timothy Leary-

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Re: Does Sugar Cause Cancer? [Re: Smeeeeg]
    #11920900 - 01/28/10 09:31 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

You guys do know that every cell in our body runs on glucose (simple sugar) right?  Everything we eat eventually turns into simple sugar to feed the many cells of the body. There is no way around this, if the cells of the body do not get fuel they die and that means the body (person) dies. Cancer cells are just like other cells of the body and they consume sugar. When your body makes sugar from any food you eat it is available to the cancer cells as well as the healthy cells. This is a fact and there is no way to avoid feeding cancer cells unless you starve the entire body and eventually die from starvation. One of the many causes of cancer is the lack of oxygen available to the cells. When cells that do not get enough oxygen mutate and divide enough times they will become cancerous because they lack oxygen. Cells that get enough oxygen do not become cancerous.

What causes a lack of oxygen to reach the cells?  A high fat diet. 

Article by Dr. Warburg from Germany on cancer in the body and oxygen

That said, white processed sugar suppresses the immune system and is no good for your body. 

Fruit sugars are safe, but keep your diet low fat so that you can assimilate them properly!

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Does Sugar Cause Cancer? [Re: MOTH]
    #11920980 - 01/28/10 09:44 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

What do you consider a low fat diet. Omega 3s if I'm not mistaken actually help to oxygenate cells.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: Does Sugar Cause Cancer? [Re: Icelander]
    #11921142 - 01/28/10 10:15 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

No more then 10% of cals from fat is what I consume over the course of a year, but I believe a person can consume up to 20% cals from fat and still be healthy.  This isn't an arbitrary number.  I've read a number of sources that advocate a limited fat intake.  Udo Urasmus, author of 'Fats that Heal, Fats that Kill,' has extensively researched the topic of fat consumption and health.  He recommends no more then 20% of calories from fat.  The Pritkin Longevity Center, a facility that holds the finest heart disease reversal record of any organization in the US, recommends a dietary fat consumption of 10%.  Dr. Douglas Graham, who wrote the book 80/10/10, also subscribes to the 10% of daily cals from fat ratio.  You can get your recommended daily allowance of Essential Fatty Acid's easily on such a ratio.  (and yes, EFA's are necessary and can help our vital processes!  We need them!  But too much fat in the diet is a serious detriment) 

Of course, fat is a hot topic in the dietary world.  But it's pretty obvious to anyone that most Americans consume way too much fat!  On average, over 50-60% of their calories from fat!  That's way too much and it shows in our obesity rates (1 in 3 people are obese now, in America) and our steady incline of heart disease and increase in cancers.  Fat sneaks into every food people consume.  And it adds up.  Our bodies are not built to handle that much fat!  If you stuck us in the woods with minimal tools for processing, a hunter-gatherer, no matter if you ate meat or just stuck to plants, fat would not be easily come by! It would be an occasional thing, and your cals from fat would likely be under 20% for the year, naturally. 

But in our society these days, people have CONSTANT and continuous access to all the fat they want!  And not just any fat, some of the most destructive fats there are, available, anytime, anyplace.  But our bodies simply are not designed to handle that much fat, especially the processed kind.  If we were, we would not be having so many health issues.  We are doing something wrong with our diets in general as a species, and I have seen enough evidence to believe the problem is from fatty processed foods that our bodies have a hard time tolerating!   

Personally, I feel better on less fat. My energy levels are higher and my mind is brighter.  Other people I know require more fat to feel at their best. 

I recommend people log their food at nutridiary.com to see how much they are actually getting.  It's worth taking a look.

Edited by MOTH (01/28/10 10:16 PM)

Offlinebrowndustin
dustybuddy

#11924562 - 01/29/10 02:12 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

MOTH said:
You guys do know that every cell in our body runs on glucose (simple sugar) right?  Everything we eat eventually turns into simple sugar to feed the many cells of the body. There is no way around this, if the cells of the body do not get fuel they die and that means the body (person) dies. Cancer cells are just like other cells of the body and they consume sugar. When your body makes sugar from any food you eat it is available to the cancer cells as well as the healthy cells. This is a fact and there is no way to avoid feeding cancer cells unless you starve the entire body and eventually die from starvation. One of the many causes of cancer is the lack of oxygen available to the cells. When cells that do not get enough oxygen mutate and divide enough times they will become cancerous because they lack oxygen. Cells that get enough oxygen do not become cancerous.

That said, white processed sugar suppresses the immune system and is no good for your body. 

Fruit sugars are safe, but keep your diet low fat so that you can assimilate them properly!

Quote:

MOTH said:

Sorry dear, that approach does not work in real life. What sounds good on paper doesn't always equate in the real world.

North America is full of fat, sedentary slobs. Add that to the equation and the outcome is very different. Yes, our body runs on glucose, but do you think North Americans have a glucose deficiency? No, NAs consume so much CHO that their body literally goes haywire!! Their pancreas literally breaks down and boom, type II diabetes. Your body was abused so badly from something so elementary and easy to avoid, that you now lack the ability to properly respond to macronutrients. Insulin isn't released properly and that CHO ends up in organs and stays in the bloodstream causing severe damage and other life threatening situations.

Most NAs get no where near the right amount of HEALTHY fat. For years, fat has continually gone under far too much scrutiny and has been demonized so badly that it's reputation will never recover. Fat is important for a ton of organs including your heart and brain, yet people lack the right fats because they're so scared of evil fat. This social stigma will remain for a good hundred years or so, I'd imagine. It's been beaten down so badly that with the plethora of research that's out there, people still won't clue in even if you beat that shit into their puny brains.

FAT is not the enemy, so don't spurt propaganda.

In regards to fruit sugars, fatasses need not apply. Fructose will only supply your liver with glycogen. It will not go to your muscle. Your liver holds a very insignificant amount of glucose, and a morbidly obese person will a malfunctioning, fatty liver will basically do no good.

Eat small amounts of fruit for the insulin balancing fibers, vitamins and phytonutrients but don't go nuts. Fruit is not a free ticket. I don't give a shit that it's from beautiful mother earth.

Fat, sendentary NAs have ruined their privilege to enjoy fruit. What they need is a diet based around LOW GLYCEMIC foods with a LOW GLYCEMIC LOAD. Whole grains from varied sources, diets higher in the correct amounts of all fats other than trans- and hydrogenated- (even saturated fat and dietary cholesterol are fine, they are actually very important in small amounts!!), proteins that are preferably from lean animal tissues as they are complete, vegans can make due with incomplete sources but it's extremely difficult especially if you've fucked up your body. Gemma protein is amazing so I'd highly suggest supplementing with that. You can't get enough of it strictly from peas and other incomplete sources so continue eating rice, beans, legumes, leafy green vege but please supplement with a bit of gemma and/or soy protein.

It's so easy to not be disgustingly obese but so many NAs just shrug it off. I'm an ethnic minority born in Canada but have plenty of family and extended family from third world countries. We come here and it's hard not to walk with our noses in their air. People in our country are dying from illnesses and diseases that cannot be avoided in the current political and economic state. People here die from gluttony. How the fuck can that be?

There should be a propagandist film shown to children in NA that brainwashes them into appreciating what they have here, and so they don't make the mistakes their parents have made. This generation has quickly gone to shit and for no other reason but our own. It's embarrassing talking to elder generations that are fricken' Centurions, wondering why they heck rich people half their age are dying from completely avoidable illesses.

Sorry for the tangent but I'm very angry and passionate about this issue. I'd helped a ton of people at my work place see the light. I'd like to think I'm partially responsible for dispelling myths and educating my coworkers on how to add years back to their life, and to increase the quality of their life. It's amazingly simple and the food you eat is far better when it's not pre packaged shit that's not even palatable to swine.

--------------------
When the stress burns my brain it's like acid raindrops
maryjane is the only thing that makes the pain stop

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: Does Sugar Cause Cancer? [Re: browndustin]
    #11924672 - 01/29/10 02:27 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

You do sound very angry, but I don't know why.  I never said that fat was the enemy, simply that too much fat is detrimental to health which it is.  My experience and that of other people is that a low-fat diet produces healthy results and there is no reason to fear fruit once you lower the fat in the diet.  I have personally spoken with several people who have reversed their Type II diabetes with a fruity diet.  So how do you explain that?  They were sick, practically dying, with all types of blood sugar issues, but when they lowered their fat intake and consumed fruits, they cured their illness.  Now they are diabetes/cancer free and out running marathons.  How do you explain this? 

You are obviously knowledgeable about the body, but your expertise seems very textbook.  Yes, going low-glycemic is one way to health, to heal diabetes issues, but I am saying that there are people out there healing, living and thriving, curing their blood sugar issues in a totally different way that flies in the face of most medical science. 

Most people are reluctant to acknowledge this, but there is more then one path to health.

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #11925505 - 01/29/10 05:01 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Most Americans eat very unhealthy fats in unhealthy proportions. A double whammy that kills.

But I spent 20+ years in the health food industry selling produce and supplements. Know what? For the most part I came out more confused then when I went in. And I looked at and tried most things out there.

Now I take a moderation approach. Here's my best guess to date and I wish I had used this advice much earlier in my life.

Mostly raw, some cooked, high nutrient dense foods, lots of color, healthy fats in moderation, meat as a condiment and raw if you can take it. All organic and free range. DON'T OVER EAT. Greatly limit processed foods and almost no or no junk food.  Get plenty of fresh water and exercise. And #1 by far. Learn how to relax and have some fun.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

#11925869 - 01/29/10 06:29 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
Learn how to relax and have some fun.

That's the most important piece of health advice I've ever heard.  :thumbup:  Stress kills.

OfflineJabbawaya

#11926259 - 01/29/10 07:41 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

DeeGee said:
Sugar doesn't necessarily cause cancer, but apparently cancer cells feed on it.

That is an uninformed statement. I am not criticizing you specifically, as this is something that a lot of people don't understand. There are many types of sugars, and they are all carried by your bloodstream and all can ultimately reach cancer cells.

Take glucose as an example. Your blood is full of glucose, especially after a meal. Table sugar (sucrose) is enzymatically cleaved into glucose and fructose monomers following digestion. Most of the carbohydrates in your diet break down into to glucose, which is the only sugar used by the central nervous system. All cells need glucose to survive. Glucose is a sugar, without which you will die.

To say that cancer cells "feed on sugar" is technically true, but so do all cells! Cancer cells don't "feed on sucrose," in fact sucrose would rarely even reach cancer cells. Statements like this ignore so many facts and generate a lot of confusion.

--------------------

Edited by Jabbawaya (01/29/10 07:47 PM)

Offlinebrowndustin
dustybuddy

#11926703 - 01/29/10 09:26 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

MOTH said:
You do sound very angry, but I don't know why.  I never said that fat was the enemy, simply that too much fat is detrimental to health which it is.  My experience and that of other people is that a low-fat diet produces healthy results and there is no reason to fear fruit once you lower the fat in the diet.  I have personally spoken with several people who have reversed their Type II diabetes with a fruity diet.  So how do you explain that?  They were sick, practically dying, with all types of blood sugar issues, but when they lowered their fat intake and consumed fruits, they cured their illness.  Now they are diabetes/cancer free and out running marathons.  How do you explain this? 

You are obviously knowledgeable about the body, but your expertise seems very textbook.  Yes, going low-glycemic is one way to health, to heal diabetes issues, but I am saying that there are people out there healing, living and thriving, curing their blood sugar issues in a totally different way that flies in the face of most medical science. 

Most people are reluctant to acknowledge this, but there is more then one path to health.

I'm a bodybuilder so all my knowledge is inherently "broscience" or gym lore, but it's all true! Very far from textbook stuff.

For example, bodybuilders employed ketogenic diets long before "Atkins" and know about macronutrient partitioning FAR before anyone ever put it into text. But of course, it was all scoffed at because the big juice heads with their sheaths of muscle and sheer conditioning, couldn't know anything at all about human anatomy and physiology :wink:

I've read everything in the text books when helping my mom through nursing school. Now my fiance is following the same path so it's all fresh in my mind. Many things on paper do not equate in the real world. They look at one system in focus, not factoring in real world variables like morbid obesity or even obesity, which most of North America IS. If you have a tire around your gut and it feels like a marshmellow, you are fat.

With the dietary fat subject, there are usually two polar extremities. Those who are supposedly "health conscious" and avoid fat because it's bad, or those who have no regard for what they put in their body and get nothing but hydrogenated and trans fatty acids. There aren't many people who are even marginally knowledgeable regarding proper diet and nutrition and actually appreciate fat for all it does.

There's so much focus on carbohydrates, then some focus on protein... fat never gets any love. Not from lay folk, not even some bodybuilders, not even many registered dieticians.

Fat is far from foe. It is one of our best friends. Aiding in cognitive function and the partitioning of nutrients, it is an important ally. One of my favorite fats to recommend is from macadamia nut oil. Not just to serious lifters but to my relatives, friends and coworkers. It's expensive but great stuff.

--------------------
When the stress burns my brain it's like acid raindrops
maryjane is the only thing that makes the pain stop

Offlineaghorrorag
NonExistent
Male User Gallery

Loc: Los Angeles
    #11927030 - 01/29/10 10:44 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
Most Americans eat very unhealthy fats in unhealthy proportions. A double whammy that kills.

But I spent 20+ years in the health food industry selling produce and supplements. Know what? For the most part I came out more confused then when I went in. And I looked at and tried most things out there.

Now I take a moderation approach. Here's my best guess to date and I wish I had used this advice much earlier in my life.

Mostly raw, some cooked, high nutrient dense foods, lots of color, healthy fats in moderation, meat as a condiment and raw if you can take it. All organic and free range. DON'T OVER EAT. Greatly limit processed foods and almost no or no junk food.  Get plenty of fresh water and exercise. And #1 by far. Learn how to relax and have some fun.

Smartest guy on shroomery. ( other than me ) .

--------------------
My entire Life is defined by this link. I beg of you to read: https://www.facebook.com/notes/tsafir-kamel/a-compassionate-message-for-jews-and-christians/10150614597334779

OfflineSterile
mushroom lover
 User Gallery

Loc: under the Amanita
Re: Does Sugar Cause Cancer? [Re: aghorrorag]
    #11927810 - 01/30/10 03:04 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

aghorrorag said:
Quote:

Icelander said:

Smartest guy on shroomery. ( other than me ) .

KICK ASS advice :thumbup:

THANX dude....:yourock:

--------------------
The Source Of The Force
Is The Power Of The Mind

"if you don't like what you're doing, you can always pick up your needle and move to another groove." - timothy leary"
Anno: "-I can do anything with those clouds!"
Annos Tek

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale