Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinebeandip
mycelium
Male

Gardening -- Worm Composting Outdoors
    #11880112 - 01/22/10 04:27 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Greetings! I have been searching through a various forum but I was unable to find one to meet my specific needs. I am trying to make a more palatable compost before I feed it to the worms.
I tried my blender for awhile until it fried out so I started to think something more industrial is what I need. I have acres of property so I figure I can compost as well as breed worms :smile:

The red wrigglers I had unfortunately had a cold winter and they didn't grow but luckily before the ground froze I made a 3 tier stack of buckets and I just pulled it out yesterday and the worms were breeding like crazy the bucket was almost overflowing! Just an idea of a simple business for compost and worms and I was hopin to get some leads or more info.

Thanks much!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinem.r
Stranger
Re: Gardening -- Worm Composting Outdoors [Re: beandip]
    #11885488 - 01/23/10 02:58 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I feed my worms an aged mix of food scraps, leaves/clippings from the yard, and whatever paper I can get my hands on. I don't use any special additives like lime, and I can never seem to get enough carbon into the compost, so sometimes it is very strong in nitrates. Regardless, the worms tear through it very quickly. About a big shovelful per week per 50L tub of worms. I could probably give them more, but I like to run 'em lean! I turn my compost once a week, add scraps/leaves, and whilst it isn't suitable as plant food (way too strong), it makes a great rotating supply of food for worms.

I wouldn't worry about blending or shredding your main mix too much. Dicing any large bits (i.e corn cobs) with a shovel is more than enough. Just make sure it's pre-composted and not reeking of ammonia.

Offlinebeandip
mycelium
Male

Re: Gardening -- Worm Composting Outdoors [Re: m.r]
    #11885822 - 01/23/10 04:07 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

The only reason I brought that idea up is that I can imagine the local groceries would give me as much bad produce as I can handle. That would be a lot of work to mash all that with a shovel hehe.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder