Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Boomr Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRandomstickynote
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: TX Flag
Reishi harvest! Updated first post]
    #11864700 - 01/20/10 09:44 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I have very little experience fruiting reishi. My first couple of small blocks I did I threw outside and got a couple fruits but they were tiny blocks as just a test.

This is my second attempt, I've got several good sized blocks of sterilized supplemented sawdust/woodshavings fruiting in the bag and 1 tray of pasteurized sawdust/woodshavings/coco coir/coffee. I'm assuming because they're fruiting in the bags which isn't exactly ideal, the fruits aren't developing right. Instead of antlers as I expected I'm getting these weird blob growths that look like they're covered in pores like coral. I thought even though they were in bags they'd still produce antlers?

As you can see they grow the white porey growth untill they reach the side at which point it turns redish white and climbs the surface of the bag.

The tray, though I thought it wasn't ever going to perform (some of the substrate only grew light barely visible mycelium as opposed to thick opaque mycelium, so I assumed it was contaminated, hell it might be but it's still fruiting) is forming antlers and looks like semi-conks. These though few, are what I expect from reishi, not those weird blobs.

So for the blocks, I'm assuming it'd be best to take them out of the bags and introduce them to proper fruiting conditions. Right now I have limited fruiting space. If I were to fruit them inside with my other projects of other species would they produce too much spores, to the point that it could affect the other grows?

If so would it be ok to fruit outside even though the temp here jumps from the low 50's to the low 70's erratically daily?

Also is it really too late for these guys? If I did open them would they even grow enough anyways? They've been growing for a couple if not a few weeks now, and they've gotten pretty big.

I'm assuming I can still use them the same way regardless of the appearance right? I can still cut up and brew these porey blobs?

===Harvest update===

Well I finally harvested. A little over 6lb wet! Wonder how much that'll dry to. I'm excited about trying some daily reishi, I've never tried it before.

I got a few conks and antlers but mostly big extremely dense fungus chunks like the second picture here:

Edited by Randomstickynote (02/22/10 03:07 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblelipa

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Weird reishi fruits [Re: Randomstickynote]
    #11864785 - 01/20/10 10:01 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

So for the blocks, I'm assuming it'd be best to take them out of the bags and introduce them to proper fruiting conditions. Right now I have limited fruiting space. If I were to fruit them inside with my other projects of other species would they produce too much spores, to the point that it could affect the other grows?

I would just "top the bags" so as to keep them from drying out too fast. Don't worry about the spores unless you have lots of cased substrates fruiting. Where did you get your culture?

Quote:

If so would it be ok to fruit outside even though the temp here jumps from the low 50's to the low 70's erratically daily?

That's pretty cold for reishi  but they will still grow. Just slower. Reishi love it outside though. I like fruiting outside because you can just hose them down with the hose once in a while. They love that!

Quote:

Also is it really too late for these guys? If I did open them would they even grow enough anyways?

If your referring to the ones in the bag. They have a lot of growing to do. Reishi is good in all forms.

Get that contaminated tray out of your grow room before it spoils your other grows. I am assuming there is other species in there? Reishi grow pretty well in the presence of some contaminates.

Lipa

Edited by lipa (01/20/10 10:03 AM)

Offlinesolumvita
Q.B.E.
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Africa
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Weird reishi fruits [Re: lipa]
    #11864874 - 01/20/10 10:15 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Those reishi are fine, no problems there, they do strange things :grin:

--------------------
One of these days all the answers will be revealed until then we learn from each other!

www.mushrush.co.za

InvisibleCH HELL
Brain Sturgeon
Male User Gallery

Loc: mars Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Weird reishi fruits [Re: solumvita]
    #11866008 - 01/20/10 01:51 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Young healthy Reishi,  they will darken up and take shape(conk or antler) as they mature.:thumbup:
CH

OfflineRandomstickynote
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Weird reishi fruits [Re: CH HELL]
    #11866261 - 01/20/10 02:35 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks all of you.

I didn't know they were still young. The big one to the left in the first bag I posted started out nearly overnight as a pin/primordia about the size of a golfball, and now it's the size of both my fists next to eachother.

Will post pics as they grow!

--------------------
AMU

OfflineMomofo
Stranger than you
Male User Gallery

Loc: sw..Mo.
Re: Weird reishi fruits [Re: solumvita]
    #11866365 - 01/20/10 02:52 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

solumvita said:
Those reishi are fine, no problems there, they do strange things :grin:

Ditto
I had one that climbed out of a half gallon jar...and then made a conk on the rim.

Anyone ever use Sporeworks G. lucidum before??
Just wondered because I ordered some
thanks

--------------------
I have no idea what I'm doing

OfflineRandomstickynote
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Weird reishi fruits [Re: Momofo]
    #11866828 - 01/20/10 03:53 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Oh yeah, I forgot to answer that part, yes, these are from sporeworks.

--------------------
AMU

OfflineRandomstickynote
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #12027592 - 02/14/10 01:47 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Update, I topped the bags and threw them in my FC like you guys said and they're looking great. Lots of antlers and even a few conks!

--------------------
AMU

Invisiblepoboy
On the bounce
Male

#12027744 - 02/14/10 02:12 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Watch out for the high spore load.Its coming.Poboy

--------------------
Burn the land and boil the sea but you can't take the sky from me.

OfflineRandomstickynote
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Weird reishi fruits [Re: poboy]
    #12027774 - 02/14/10 02:17 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Cool, I'm about to switch over to a greenhouse for the rest of my projects (waiting for the cool mist that's coming tomorrow) so all is good!

--------------------
AMU

OfflineRandomstickynote
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #12075318 - 02/22/10 03:07 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Well I finally harvested. A little over 6lb wet! Wonder how much that'll dry to. I'm excited about trying some daily reishi, I've never tried it before.

I got a few conks and antlers but mostly big extremely dense fungus chunks like the second picture here:

That second one is cut in half, I had to saw through the thing.

--------------------
AMU

Edited by Randomstickynote (02/22/10 03:08 AM)

Offlinesolumvita
Q.B.E.
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Africa
Trusted Cultivator
    #12075390 - 02/22/10 04:07 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I find reishi to be about 30% dry matter so you should get about 1.8lbs.

--------------------
One of these days all the answers will be revealed until then we learn from each other!

www.mushrush.co.za

Offlinepepper
SawDust Block Junkie
Male User Gallery

Loc: British Columbia Flag
    #13948328 - 02/11/11 09:34 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

So are you still growing Reishi? Thanks for the pictures.:thumbup:

--------------------

Trade list    OR    :pm:<-------

OfflineNunbuh_Chrubble
I'm just a kittycat
Male User Gallery

Re: Weird reishi fruits [Re: pepper]
    #13949170 - 02/11/11 11:55 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------

"This day is a lover..."

~Rumi

Offlinepepper
SawDust Block Junkie
Male User Gallery

Re: Weird reishi fruits [Re: Nunbuh_Chrubble]
    #13949351 - 02/12/11 12:35 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Nunbuh_Chrubble said:

So I have been watching your threads, it seems that you plan on building a commercial mushroom farm?
What kinds of mushrooms do you plan on growing? What will the size of your building be? What part of the country do you plan on starting this operation?:biggrin: Thanks for your time.

--------------------

Edited by pepper (02/12/11 12:35 AM)

OfflineNunbuh_Chrubble
I'm just a kittycat
Male User Gallery

#13950565 - 02/12/11 10:57 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks for your interest. Sorry about the thread necromancer card. I just thought it was funny and wanted a chance to use it. :smile:

I'm partnering with somebody to open up a small edible/medicinal business here in Atlanta, Ga. I've just been unemployed for too long and I decided I need to make my own job. My expenses are really REALLY low right now, so I'm not worried about making a full sized income right away, which is perfect for our very experimental business venture.

The idea is that it will be an open source design, not only in terms of our actual facility, but our business plan also, so that communities everywhere can use our system for food and medicine production, as well as waste management and bioremediation.

You can read all about what my partner's got so far here:
http://arkfab.org/?p=118
He's really done all the serious legwork, and I have to give him most of the credit. I just want to grow mushrooms and have been doing so for a little longer than him.

The most interesting thing about our system, IMO, is that it will be combined with an aquaponics system. So spent substrate will be fed to worms, the worms will be fed to tilapia, which will grow salad greens which will produce oxygen. The hope is that by recycling the CO2 rich air into the aquaponics unit we can put O2 back into it and reuse it for the mushroom grow room without having to use more power to cool it down from the outside. All the while each waste product will be reused in order to produce "value added products".

Designing a functioning mushroom grow house, I think, will not be the big challenge, but rather finding a way to integrate it with the aquaponics system without creating a trich factory. I mean, fish are gross, plants bring bugs, etc. My biggest concern right now is keeping the air quality clean, which is why I'm posting about squirrel cage blowers and germicidal UV lamps.

Anyways, I'm not sure we should jack this thread, even if it is a year old and dormant. I really should just make another thread about my whole project, but I want to wait until I have more shit lined up before making a big post about it all.

--------------------

"This day is a lover..."

~Rumi

Offlinepepper
SawDust Block Junkie
Male User Gallery

Re: Weird reishi fruits [Re: Nunbuh_Chrubble]
    #13951242 - 02/12/11 01:15 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I have been looking into green house this winter and here is what I have found.
http://anonym.to/?http://cgi.ebay.ca/Original-Greenhouse-Quick-Hoop-Bender-DIY-DY-10-/350424102541?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5196e7768d
http://anonym.to/?http://www.hoopbenders.net/
http://anonym.to/?http://www.lostcreek.net/videohoopbending.html

Here is a UV light that I have looked into too.
http://anonym.to/?http://www.swordfishuv.com/HowItWorks/Instructions/tabid/118/Default.aspx

So the 2 Reishi bag that I have are fully colonized with white mycelium. There is some sawdust in the bottom of the bag that has not colonized. I think that I should wash the block and bag to get them clean. Every mycelium block that has been colonized in a bag should be washed off? Did you do that to the Reishi blocks above? Thanks for your guys input.:toast:

--------------------

Edited by pepper (02/12/11 01:16 PM)

OfflineReishi
Reishi Lover
Female
Loc: Earth
    #13958319 - 02/13/11 09:52 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I'd say start out growing reishi, maitake, shiitake, lions mane, those are not difficult at all.

--------------------
The Best Source For High Quality Organic Medicinal Mushroom Extracts ] Best Price Around, Also With Free shipping.

OfflineGrowMushrooms
Grow Mushrooms
Male User Gallery

Loc: Galveston Tx
Re: Reishi harvest! Updated first post] [Re: Randomstickynote]
    #16138808 - 04/25/12 05:07 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

How many pounds of substrate did you start out with to get that many lbs?

--------------------
All about medicinal mushrooms, gonna be an expert one day on all this :smile:
Now I own a spectrophotometer, now to figure out how to use it! :smile:
Grow Mushrooms

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Boomr Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds