Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Boomr Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinestrawman
Stranger
Male

old-timer looking for guidance.....
    #11814517 - 01/12/10 12:10 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Hello everybody ,

This is my very first post . I'm an old codger looking to get back into the hobby after being dormant for the past several years . I originally learned the pf tek over at Mycotopia and got pretty good at it (i see one familiar name here from back in the day : Roger Rabbit). I'm into entheogenic spirituality in general and South American shamanism in particular (ayahuasca).
    After scanning the site a bit and giving it some thought , I think I'd like to try my hand at a tub-style tek with straw . I'm pretty much a visual learner . If anyone could direct me to a complete , clearly written tek (with photos would be great!)....I would be very greatful . In the meantime I'll start digging around .

thanks for lettin' me join the club !

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCycleThoughts
Researcher
Male

Re: old-timer looking for guidance..... [Re: strawman]
    #11814537 - 01/12/10 12:16 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Check out mushroomvideos.com

Pretty self explanatory.  Just use a high spawn to straw ratio so it colonizes quickly and you should be fine.  I got over 4 ounces from my first grow with 3 tubs of straw/poo.  Very satisfied and I should be good for about a year with that much.

InvisibleSillicybin
Loc: Flag
Re: old-timer looking for guidance..... [Re: CycleThoughts]
    #11814574 - 01/12/10 12:24 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Having done multiple grows with straight WBS-spawned straw, I highly recommend cutting it 50/50 with coir or horsepoo for cubensis.  Straight straw contaminates easily and the yields, especially after the first flush, aren't terrific.

Offlinepblcenmy1
str8 noob
Male User Gallery

Loc: Colo. Rockies
Re: old-timer looking for guidance..... [Re: CycleThoughts]
    #11814579 - 01/12/10 12:25 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Welcome.  Maybe for some inspiration, im a beginner grower and am pleased with how my straw/poo is coming.  Good choice and best of luck.

--------------------
~LoveLife~

Down 2 Earth, Up N Space!

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: old-timer looking for guidance..... [Re: pblcenmy1]
    #11814607 - 01/12/10 12:30 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Here's the laundry basket tek from my site.  The straw pasteurization chapter immediately precedes it, if you need to review.  Welcome back.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinestrawman
Stranger
Male

Re: old-timer looking for guidance..... [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #11821639 - 01/13/10 12:17 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks for the info folks !
A couple questions arise ......
(1)Does working with horse poo in the house cause a stink ?
(2)I live in the city and have no access to poo . Would mixing the straw with coir be considered a close second choice ?

Gracious :heart:

InvisibleSillicybin
Loc: Flag
    #11821748 - 01/13/10 12:36 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

strawman said:
Thanks for the info folks !
A couple questions arise ......
(1)Does working with horse poo in the house cause a stink ?

Only really when you pasteurize it - that's the messy and stinky part.  H/poo that you're using for mushroom cultivation should be well-weathered, though, which means that the ammonia should no longer be an issue.

Quote:

(2)I live in the city and have no access to poo . Would mixing the straw with coir be considered a close second choice ?

Not really a close second.... it will generally perform much better with poo.  But it should still do plenty well, especially if you supplement the coir with a nitrogen source like some spent coffee grounds or even a little store-bought, bagged manure.  Either way, It's still very easy to get 2-3 dry ounces out of a coir tub with 6-7 quarts of substrate.

Offlinexeallos
Sore wa himitsudesu!
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Woods of a Thousand Y...
    #11821779 - 01/13/10 12:40 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

No, horse dung should be already dehydrated and leached, it is not utilized "road apple" fresh, as it were. You rehydrate it to field capacity with the rest of your substrate before pasteurization, but it does not stink to high heaven.

I'd recommend spawning to Coir/Verm with some Gypsum rather than going Straw for your first few bulk substrates, but that's just me. Good luck! :thumbup:

Offlinefaceyneck
Legitimate Philosopher
 User Gallery

Loc: upper body area
    #11833413 - 01/15/10 06:03 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Here's some links, with PLENTY of pictures, for a visual learner! :smile:

...if you need a tek on preparing grain spawn, I would recommend FooMan's technique here . I, however, only steep the grain, for 25 minutes. Then, I turn the stove on full blast, to reheat the water a bit. Then, I strain the hell out of it, and fling it about, in the collander, to allow much steam escape. Those're prolly the only differences for me, in that tek.

Here you can find, discussion of two different pasteurization teks, both with clear and concise pictures. Hell, pictures ALWAYS make a post more worthwhile. Hey, let's take a quick picture detour:

Okay, so, trays like that - easily gotten, using above spawn, and those bulk substrate pasteurization links (straw would totally work also). I actually grew those trays, with Wronguy's Bags , of which, I don't really have a link to, with pictures, that captures the way I do sterilized poo bags, but I don't really do that anymore, anyway. Pasteurization of bulk substrate, is the way to go. I would, of course, recommend using either manure, or straw and manure, but, you can easily follow either of above, bulk substrate pasteurization methods, omitting the bag-container they're in (pillow case, or Oven Bag/plastic pasteurization bag), and just pasteurize the straight straw, straight in the water... if that makes sense. In other words, give the straw a pasteurization bath.

Is there any particular reason, why straw is your bulk substrate of interest? I suppose it does work, but, manure works so much better...

...or one last recommendation. Check out Oatman2000's coir tek here .

As always, with every post; hope that's helpful.

--------------------
Anything posted here, is total bullshit.
My Meyers-Briggs Personality: INTJ
New growers, or anyone else just needing help; I'm always glad to help right here. :grin:

We give cultivation advice here. :super:

AMU Q & A - We're glad to help
My Doggy Door Greenhouse!          First Ever Shmuvbox Tek!          Do Manure Right!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Boomr Bag