Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleChibboleth
Low output?
    #1175854 - 12/28/02 05:07 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Right now I have one cake going (search for my earlier thread for pics), and it's on its second flush. However, the actual fruits are kind of disturbing me. They look fine, but they've been few and a bit smaller than I expected.

The first flush consisted of three mushrooms in a tight cluster growing out of the bottom of the cake, just barely above the vermiculite (which got pretty thoroughly colonized btw). Those three grew to a pretty unremarkable size (B+, and they were about four inches long and skinny), and they were almost the only pins on the cake, period - there were three abhorts, two of which were so small I almost missed them entirely.

This second flush (so far) consists of a single mushroom, with no other pins present, which is larger than the three that came before. It is also growing from the very bottom of the cake.

The whole setup is housed in a perlite fruiting chamber kept at a pretty steady 77-8 degrees. I fan two or three times a day, and give it about twelve hours of light per day (flourescent). The cake itself looks pretty good, except that it's got a couple of blue spots where I handled it for dunking. It was dunked for 14 hours under refridgeration.

So, do these things suggest any particular screwup on my part? Should the cake be sitting directly on the perlite rather than on the jar lid? The only thing I can think of is that I probably delayed birthing a little too long, but I'm not sure that would hurt it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Low output? [Re: Chibboleth]
    #1175871 - 12/28/02 05:17 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

The whole setup is housed in a perlite fruiting chamber kept at a pretty steady 77-8 degrees. I fan two or three times a day, and give it about twelve hours of light per day (flourescent). The cake itself looks pretty good, except that it's got a couple of blue spots where I handled it for dunking. It was dunked for 14 hours under refridgeration.

Sounds ok to me.
I keep mine at 74 degrees...they really like that.
What was the humidity like?
You dunked them so the age of the cake shouldn't be a factor.
I'm wondering if the cake is too colonized and they are matted...try scratching the sides of your cake in X's in several places...but not too deep of scratches.

I used to keep my cakes on the jar lids and they did just fine.

good luck!

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

InvisibleChibboleth
Re: Low output? [Re: Roadkill]
    #1175882 - 12/28/02 05:27 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

The humidity is high enough for water droplets to appear on the sides and top of the container. I'll try lowering the temperature a bit, this is my first cake so I wasn't sure exactly what to go for, temperature-wise.

The scratching... I've not heard of that. Do I just use a sharp knife and scratch in a couple of millimeters?

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Low output? [Re: Chibboleth]
    #1175888 - 12/28/02 05:32 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

If the cake is matted you would scratch the surface lightly.

no more than an 1/8th of an inch would be fine.

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

InvisibleChibboleth
Re: Low output? [Re: Roadkill]
    #1177136 - 12/29/02 10:16 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I stuck four X-es into the cake this morning after I harvested and right before I dunked it - but I've not run across this term "matted" before, and I can't find it in the FAQ. What does it mean? If the idea is that the outer skin of the cake is thick enough that the interior isn't getting any water, I could believe that... the outside of the cake felt very rubbery.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies