Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMushroomMarkk
Stranger

Mushroom DNA question
    #11738176 - 12/29/09 03:55 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

So i have heard many people say cloning is a good way to go. And to do it you just clone the mushroom that has the traits you wish all your mushrooms to have, then grow from this culture.

My question is, does the mushroom you clone from actually have different DNA from the other mushrooms on the tray and thus also the mycelium that it grows from? So each mushroom coming from the same mycelial "tree" will contain different DNA? Or is the DNA the same in all the mushrooms and mycelium, thus to select for say, large mushrooms, you would want to clone from a tray that has almost ALL large mushrooms.

Clarification greeeatly appreciated

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Re: Mushroom DNA question [Re: MushroomMarkk]
    #11749387 - 01/01/10 06:26 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

My question is, does the mushroom you clone from actually have different DNA from the other mushrooms on the tray and thus also the mycelium that it grows from?

That depends on what you start from.

If you are using multispore, then the answer is yes.

If you are using an isolate, then they are all the same.

If you use agar and only transferred once or twice then its likely that there are a couple different genetic strains fruiting.

Invisiblecheesenoonions
??????????????

Re: Mushroom DNA question [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #11757755 - 01/03/10 08:49 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Alan,
  In this example, how are you defining an isolate?

Offlinewlh_99
Stranger

Re: Mushroom DNA question [Re: cheesenoonions]
    #11764683 - 01/04/10 12:39 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

cheesenoonions said:
Alan,
  In this example, how are you defining an isolate?

I'm curious too.

I thought that if you cloned a fruit to agar you had isolated it. Or when you say "use agar" are you refering to using multispore on agar and then transfering that a couple times? And then more transfers are needed to isolate a single strain from the original multispore?

OfflineMushroomMarkk
Stranger

Re: Mushroom DNA question [Re: wlh_99]
    #11805403 - 01/10/10 10:51 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Ah i see, so multispore always lends to multiple colonies? I have been doing some G2G transfers for a bit, maybe on my third or 4th generation. In these jars, 3rd or 4th gen, there must be multiple colonies? Or as i transferred grain did i unknowingly become strain selective as i only transferred dozen or so kernals from jar to jar.

Recently i took a peice of grain from one of the 3rd gen grain jars that originated from multispore and added it to some agar in a petri. This has been growing nicely but there are no division where i see any mycelial splitting or differing strains colliding. So i assume this is a single strain i have isolated? Unfortunately its not a real quick colonizer, but ill soon fruit the jar it originated from and see how they look. But this fruiting process might be fruiting multiple strains then right? 1 of which i isolated when i transferred the single grain to the agar.

OfflineMushroomMarkk
Stranger

Re: Mushroom DNA question [Re: MushroomMarkk]
    #11805431 - 01/10/10 10:56 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

the other thing i would like it ask is simply how often do multiple strains make it through a whole jar? Based off a single multispore inoculation, many strains would arise, but as these jars colonize and so forth they seem to become so uniform that i cannot differentiate between any seperate strains. Do strains live together in a jar effectively without 1 overtaking all the others? Or does 1 strain usually just overtake everything in the jar, even though multiple strains were there in the beginning.

I ask this because i inoculated a jar with multispore, then i g2g transferred from that jar. Now each jar that i moved kernals into from that specific first jar seem to have a pretty damn similar if not the same mycelium, while if i look at a different jar that was started from a different multispore innoc the mycelium can have quite different characteristics, though still having what seems to be only 1 type of mycelial strain(same characteristics in each jar that kernels are transferred to).

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale