Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineStaleShrooms
human after all
Male

Loc: Detroit
why do people insist that long term storage requires cracker dry shrooms?
    #11721388 - 12/26/09 01:31 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

why do they have to be "super dooper desiccant cracker dry" to store them? I always hear people say you should use a desiccant if they'll be stored for a long time, but i just fan dry mine and keep em in a mason jar and they keep for monthes. what could possibly happen if your shrooms arent dry enough and you store them for say... 6 monthes?

--------------------
Kick is seeing things from a special angle. Kick is momentary freedom from the claims of the aging, cautious, nagging, frightened flesh. Maybe I will find in yage what I was looking for in junk and weed and coke. Yage may be the final fix.

~William S. Burroughs

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineZed
Certified Insane
Re: why do people insist that long term storage requires cracker dry shrooms? [Re: StaleShrooms]
    #11721397 - 12/26/09 01:33 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

rot

Invisiblemyco_mikey_mo
Mycologist For Hire
Male User Gallery

Loc: The PNW
Re: why do people insist that long term storage requires cracker dry shrooms? [Re: Zed]
    #11721407 - 12/26/09 01:36 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

oxidation

--------------------
-Give a man some mushies, He'll trip for a day...Teach a man to cultivate, He'll trip for a lifetime-
:thumbup:Self healing Tyvek and Silcone lids for Trade... PM :pm: me:thumbup:
:syringe:Looking for anybody with extra spawn bags for trade... PM:pm: me:syringe:

Offlineanjay
curiouser
Female User Gallery

Re: why do people insist that long term storage requires cracker dry shrooms? [Re: StaleShrooms]
    #11721411 - 12/26/09 01:36 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

They'll turn you gayer.

--------------------

Invisiblechooken
Between the Earth and Sky
Male

Loc: Aus Flag
Re: why do people insist that long term storage requires cracker dry shrooms? [Re: Zed]
    #11721420 - 12/26/09 01:39 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

If they aren't cracker dry, it means there is still some water in there. It might only be a tiny bit, but that is enough to let mold grow. I'm having the same thing with fan drying at the moment. It doesn't seem to dry it completely. I've just cut mine up once they are as dry as I can get em, put them in a ziplock bag, chucked in two desiccant bags with em and squeezed out all the air. I'm hoping that will get rid of any water in there.

--------------------
[

OfflineStaleShrooms
human after all
Male

#11721424 - 12/26/09 01:40 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

anjay said:
They'll turn you gayer.

lolz

Quote:

myco_mikey_mo said:
oxidation

but wont psilocin oxidize anyway? or did you mean that the psilocybin will oxidize?

Quote:

Zed said:
rot

but if they're pretty close to completely dry they wont rot. i mean the longest i've left fan dried shrooms was like 2 monthes but they didnt rot at all. if i had left them longer would they have rotted?

has anyone ever experienced stored shrooms start to rot? if so, how wet were they when put into storage? and how were they stored?

--------------------
Kick is seeing things from a special angle. Kick is momentary freedom from the claims of the aging, cautious, nagging, frightened flesh. Maybe I will find in yage what I was looking for in junk and weed and coke. Yage may be the final fix.

~William S. Burroughs

Edited by StaleShrooms (12/26/09 01:42 PM)

InvisibleCitizen13
Jack's wasted life.

#11721441 - 12/26/09 01:44 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

it only took 2lbs of fruits rotting one time for me to never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever store anything but cracker dry fruits and still i add a deccisent packet just to be sure.

--------------------

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
Trusted Cultivator
Re: why do people insist that long term storage requires cracker dry shrooms? [Re: myco_mikey_mo]
    #11721445 - 12/26/09 01:45 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

no if you have any moisture at all even in 1 mushie the other dry mushies will wick the moisture into themselves making them all moist again which will rot in a few days.  a lil packet of desicant or O2 remover in an airtight container is the best bet at no potency loss or risk of rot. :super:

--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
Click here ^ for the AMU forum
VVV AMUs Free Active/Edible/Exotic Spore Print or Syringe or Edible Culture Trade Thread VVV
"Man is the sex organ of the machine world" ~  Marshall McLuhan

Invisiblechooken
Between the Earth and Sky
Male

Loc: Aus Flag
Re: why do people insist that long term storage requires cracker dry shrooms? [Re: 13shrooms]
    #11721515 - 12/26/09 02:03 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I guess I could ask this here if anyone is kind enough to answer :crazy:

I've read to not let desiccant touch your shroomies. Does this mean don't let the packet touch them or don't let any of the contents of the packet touch them. Maybe people take them from the packet for some reason?

--------------------
[

InvisibleCitizen13
Jack's wasted life.

Re: why do people insist that long term storage requires cracker dry shrooms? [Re: chooken]
    #11721549 - 12/26/09 02:10 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

chooken said:
I guess I could ask this here if anyone is kind enough to answer :crazy:

I've read to not let desiccant touch your shroomies. Does this mean don't let the packet touch them or don't let any of the contents of the packet touch them. Maybe people take them from the packet for some reason?

dont let the contents.

noone wants to eat that stuff.

--------------------

Invisibleanonjon
Partially Right

#11721717 - 12/26/09 02:51 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

StaleShrooms said:
Quote:

anjay said:
They'll turn you gayer.

lolz

Quote:

myco_mikey_mo said:
oxidation

but wont psilocin oxidize anyway? or did you mean that the psilocybin will oxidize?

Explain?

--------------------
The above post is fictional, hypothetical, or downright nonsensical.

:moon:  :moon:  :moon:  :moon:    :moon:

OfflineStaleShrooms
human after all
Male

Re: why do people insist that long term storage requires cracker dry shrooms? [Re: anonjon]
    #11721744 - 12/26/09 02:59 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

First one: Shrooms make you gay. It's been proven by science.

Second One: Psilocin oxidizes rapidly. thats why your shrooms bruise blue. eventually all of it oxidizes if you dry your shrooms. atleast that my understanding. i could be wrong.

--------------------

~William S. Burroughs

Edited by StaleShrooms (12/26/09 03:00 PM)

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman

Trusted Cultivator
    #11721942 - 12/26/09 03:56 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Second One: Psilocin oxidizes rapidly. thats why your shrooms bruise blue. eventually all of it oxidizes if you dry your shrooms. atleast that my understanding. i could be wrong.

prolonged exposure to oxygen degrades (oxidizes) the actives in any shroom fresh or dry thats whay its important to dry fast and store airtight.  also heat over 220+F will do the same and direct sunlight after picking will lower potency.  desiccant just insures they stay dry and O2 remover will keep oxidation at bay.  store in a airtight container and put in a drawer, closet or storage tub (whatever) in a cool dry place. :super:

--------------------
VVV AMUs Free Active/Edible/Exotic Spore Print or Syringe or Edible Culture Trade Thread VVV

Invisiblecyantific
Trusted Masturbator

Loc: Shakashuri Island
    #11722146 - 12/26/09 04:47 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Ive gotten away with 95% dry (pliant texture) being stored in little ziplocks in the freezer for over 3 months ... i dont like cracker dry sometimes because the shrooms begin to break apart too much ... not to mention its really humid here so its almost like the fuckers just rehydrate to that state anyway an hour after being exposed to the environment ...

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman

Trusted Cultivator
Re: why do people insist that long term storage requires cracker dry shrooms? [Re: cyantific]
    #11722174 - 12/26/09 04:54 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I could see that cuz the freezer is like a preservative any way. :smirk:

not much happens while frozen...:shrug:

--------------------

Invisiblecyantific
Trusted Masturbator

Loc: Shakashuri Island
Re: why do people insist that long term storage requires cracker dry shrooms? [Re: 13shrooms]
    #11722209 - 12/26/09 05:03 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

indeed lol ... its funny though because they sort of cure in the bags after a while and become uniform dryness ... never got moldy shrooms even after taking them out but leaving them in the ziplocks for weeks at a time ... definitely not a recommendation of mine lol it just works well for me ... got it down to my own cyance ... hehe

OfflineStaleShrooms
human after all
Male

#11722213 - 12/26/09 05:03 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

13shrooms said:
I could see that cuz the freezer is like a preservative any way. :smirk:

not much happens while frozen...:shrug:

except wet shroom's cell walls bbreak down, so when you thaw em out they turn into goop.

like lettuce left in the fridge too long :puke:

--------------------

~William S. Burroughs

Invisibleambargh
 User Gallery

#11722268 - 12/26/09 05:15 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

It's hard for me to dry mine out in front of a fan sometimes. I live in FL and if I crack a window to let the breeze come in, the super humid air instantly makes all my mushies wet again. :crankey:

--------------------
"The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well, on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be.." - Douglas Adams

ambargh's easy agar

OfflineStaleShrooms
human after all
Male

Re: why do people insist that long term storage requires cracker dry shrooms? [Re: ambargh]
    #11722349 - 12/26/09 05:35 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

ambargh said:
It's hard for me to dry mine out in front of a fan sometimes. I live in FL and if I crack a window to let the breeze come in, the super humid air instantly makes all my mushies wet again. :crankey:

you could do what i used to do and put them ontop of a box fan. once they get dry they have a tendency to fly off though, so just put a window screen over the fan. it works pretty well.

--------------------

~William S. Burroughs

InvisibleCitizen13
Jack's wasted life.

#11722472 - 12/26/09 06:03 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

StaleShrooms said:
Quote:

ambargh said:

you could do what i used to do and put them ontop of a box fan. once they get dry they have a tendency to fly off though, so just put a window screen over the fan. it works pretty well.

i was never able to get fruits cracker dry in florida just using a box fan. the fan is blowing HUMID air across your fruits and it just isnt possible. they would at best, be bendy and almost dry.

in florida, you need to use a dehydrator that utilizes a small amount of heat or you will just be banging your head against the wall trying to figure out why they won't dry

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds