Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinetangoking
Lover of Boletes
 User Gallery

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Correct Latin Name Format
    #11691449 - 12/21/09 10:55 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I Googled but can't find a decent naming guide.

I see several different ways that TI's name mushrooms. They're all saying the same thing, but in a different way. What is the formal way to correctly name a mushroom? Take Amanita Muscaria var Persicina for example:

I know that Latin names must be italicized, but do the suffixes also require this text decoration? Ex. Amanita muscaria var persicina nom. prov. or is it Amanita muscaria var persicina nom. prov. (Tullos, 2001). Some put a name and date like this (Tullos, 2001). Why, and does that part need to be italicized also? Some people also add "nom. prov." at the end. Why? Some abbreviate: A. muscaria var persicina or can I even say A.m var persicina?

What's the formal way to write a mushroom name? Where's the ten commandments of mushroom naming?

--------------------
Smurfette artwork reference:
https://www.guyhepner.com/product/smurfette-with-flowers-by-herr-nilsson/

Edited by tangoking (12/21/09 10:55 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Correct Latin Name Format [Re: tangoking]
    #11691996 - 12/21/09 12:32 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

What is the formal way to correctly name a mushroom?

If you are some kind of dork, you put it in italics, with the genus but not the species or variety capitalized.  Then you put the author(s).  If it hasn't been formally published, you put nom prov.  The author should not be in italics.

The reason that you put the author is so the reader knows whose species concept you are referring to.  A certain mushroom according to one author will have a different name according to others.

You can say Russula cf. emetica to refer to any Russula that looks like emetica.  Russula aff. olivacea works too.

Offlineelprawn
Mushroom Guestimator
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ilford, England
Trusted Identifier
Re: Correct Latin Name Format [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #11692033 - 12/21/09 12:39 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:
Quote:

What is the formal way to correctly name a mushroom?

If you are some kind of dork, you put it in italics, with the genus but not the species or variety capitalized.

:laugh:

Offlinelibs
keep on keeping on
 User Gallery

Loc: northern england
Re: Correct Latin Name Format [Re: elprawn]
    #11692058 - 12/21/09 12:46 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

i love the latin names for mushrooms, they sound so cool :mushroom2:psilocybe semilanceata aaahhhhhhh :lol:

Offlineelprawn
Mushroom Guestimator
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ilford, England
Trusted Identifier
Re: Correct Latin Name Format [Re: libs]
    #11692069 - 12/21/09 12:48 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Amanita vaginata.

I'm'n' eat a vagina, ta. lol.

Makes sense in my accent.

Offlinelibs
keep on keeping on
 User Gallery

Loc: northern england
Re: Correct Latin Name Format [Re: elprawn]
    #11692078 - 12/21/09 12:50 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

daan saaf ay :lol: or doon soof where i come from haha

Offlinefalcon
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #11693559 - 12/21/09 04:41 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

The genus of a binomial can be abbreviated with its initial if the mushroom or a mushroom of  the same genus has been mentioned before and it doesn't cause confusion. If you're talking about Amanitas and Agaricus in the same paragraph or paper you'd want to write full genus name out to avoid confusion. Don't know if this is a rule but it seems to be the way it's done.

I'm in the dorky, I like the italics for the binomials when they are found in other text camp. Though lazy in a lot of ways, I usually take the time to italicize binomials. Toxicman pretty much does it this way whenever he posts,  for me it was easier to read and comprehend, I figure other people may also find it easier to read.

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
    #11693853 - 12/21/09 05:27 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Alan is pretending that he is not a dork by ignoring the standard format.

Some good reference pages.

Quote:

Important Abbreviations

cf. - confer (compare with - )
    cv. - cultivar
    f. - form/ forma
    fam. - family
    gen. nov. - genus novus - a newly described genus
    ined. - ineditus (unpublished)
    ms. - manuscript (unpublished manuscript name - generally follows an author name)
    p.p. - pro parte (in part)
    sect. - section/sectio
    s. lat. - sensu lato (in the broad sense)
    s. str. - sensu stricto (in the narrow or strict sense)
    sp. - species
    sp. aff. - species with affinity to, or close to (NB. 'aff. sp.' should not be used)
    sp. nov. - species novus - a newly described species (NB. 'nov. sp.' should not be used)
    spp. - species (plural)
    ssp. - (not preferred - see subsp.)
    subg. - subgenus
    subsp. - subspecies
    subspp. - subspecies (plural)
    syn. - synonym
    var. - variety

Quote:

Various subdivisions have arisen such entities as superclasses, superorders, infraorders, families, superfamilies and tribes. Mostly in entomology, where they have a plethora of things that do not fit the tradional plan.

There are also ranks below species... In zoology, subspecies and morph, in botany, variety and the now outdated form. In plants, there are several levels below species that may be used. These infraspecific ranks are subspecies, variety, subvariety, forma and subforma. The last three being little used.

Any taxon can be characterised by just using the trinomial (genus, species and infraspecies) with indication of the rank. With plants the rank must always be cited - usually as an abbreviation and should not be italicised.

The authors of a species name are sometimes included, but they are only really necessary where the same name may have inadvertently have been given to two different taxa (homonyms) within the same genus. With animal names the author name is always followed by a year, with plants, the author name or abbreviation is given alone. Sometimes a space is inserted between Initial and Surname, but it is a matter of personal preference.

Common names... There are no hard and fast rules for 'common' names which are often region specific colloquial names.

In general, scientific names are derived from Latin or Greek, and strictly speaking, their pronunciation should follow strict Latin or Greek pronunciation rules. How they are pronounced really matters little provided are understood by all concerned.

http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/nomenclature_taxonomy.html

Quote:

aff.
    Abbreviation of "affinity". e.g. Notocactus aff. submammulosus, means the plant in question appears to be related to N. submammulosus.

comb. nova.
    Abbreviation of "combination nova". Indicates that the plant in question has been reclassified into a new genus, species etc.

c.v.
    Indicates that a plant is a man made cultivar.

et
    Means "and". e.g. Link et Otto means Link and Otto

ex
    Used to indicate that a name has been proposed, but not validly published, by one author and subsequently validated by another. e.g. N. mueller-melchersii Fric ex Backeberg, indicates that the name N. mueller-melchersii was first used by A.V. Fric, but only later was it validly published by Curt Backeberg.

Hort.
    Indicates that a plant has not been formally described, but its name is in common usage in horticulture, i.e. gardens.

nomen illegitium or nom. illeg.
    An illegitimate name. Usually because the author did not follow the appropriate rules, established by the ICBN (International Code of Botanical Nomenclature).

nomen invalidium or nom. inval.
    An invalid name. Usually because the author did not follow the appropriate rules, established by the ICBN (International Code of Botanical Nomenclature).

nomen nudem, nom. nud. or n.n.
    Indicates that the plant in question has not yet been validly described.

nomen provisorium or nom. prov.
    A provisional name. i.e. a name that may be changed in the future e.g. Notocactus roseoluteus was known by the provisional name Notocactus cupreatus.

non
    Means "not". e.g. Malacocarpus Salm Dyck non Fisch & Mey, means that we are referring to the members of Malacocarpus as Salm Dyck saw it and not as seen by Fisch & Mey.

sensu
    In the sense of. e.g. Notocactus sensu Buxbaum means "the genus Notocactus as seen by Buxbaum".

sbf.
    Sub-form, a taxonomic rank below form. Very rarely seen.

s.n.
    Abbreviation of "sine numero". A plant without a collection number. e.g. Notocactus nilsonii Stockinger s.n., refers to a plant collected by Fransisco Stockinger that was not given a collection number.

ssp, subsp.
    Abbreviation of "sub-species". A taxonomic rank between species and variety.

sp.
    Abbreviation of "species". A species of unknown name. i.e. Notocactus sp. means a Notocactus of unknown or uncertain species.

spp.
    Abbreviation used for a group of species, eg. we can use the form Turbinicarpus spp. to refer to all species of the genus Turbinicarpus.

spec. nova
    A new species.

st., stat.
    Abbreviation of "status". The rank of a plant. When used as stat. nova. or comb. et stat. nova. indicates that the plants name has been changed to a different rank. e.g. When Norbert Gerloff reduced N. eremiticus to a variety of concinnus he gave the following: Notocactus concinnus (Monville) Berger ex Backeberg var. eremiticus (Ritter) Gerloff comb. et stat. nov., indicating that Ritter had given the original name as one rank (species) and Gerloff had given the new name at a different rank (variety).

Syn, Synonym
    Another name under which a plant can also be found. This is usually because the plant has been moved into a different genus. e.g. Eriocactus claviceps & Notocactus claviceps are synonyms of the same plant. And sometimes this is because some people regard a plant as a separate species and others regard it to be only a variety or form. e.g. Notocactus uebelmannianus fa. pleiocephalus & Notocactus pleiocephalus are synonyms.

x
    Used to indicate a hybrid plant.

http://www.mfaint.demon.co.uk/cactus/naming.html

--------------------

Offlinefalcon
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Correct Latin Name Format [Re: CureCat]
    #11693982 - 12/21/09 05:52 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Curecat said:

Ha! :smile:

Thanks for the links CureCat.

Invisiblecaphillkid
Coquus Boleti

Loc: Jet City
Re: Correct Latin Name Format [Re: falcon]
    #11696155 - 12/21/09 11:25 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Technically, the rule for the English language is that all foreign words are italicized.  Maybe someone can explain how the tradition of only italicizing the species name but not the genus name came to be, I'm curious.

OfflineRaspootin
Stranger

Loc: North of Seattle
    #11696284 - 12/21/09 11:45 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

CureCat said:

Some good reference pages.

Quote:

Important Abbreviations

x
    Used to indicate a hybrid plant.

http://www.mfaint.demon.co.uk/cactus/naming.html

It's actually quite important where the x is placed (I'm sure curecat is aware of that), x Cupressocyparis denotes an intergeneric hybrid while Cupressus x ??? denotes an interspecific hybrid

Genus is capitalized, species and variety are not, but a named cultivar would be in quotations and capitalized. EG: Berberis thunbergii "Crimson Pygmy"

At least the way I've been taught.  :shrug:

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
Re: Correct Latin Name Format [Re: caphillkid]
    #11696344 - 12/21/09 11:56 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Raspootin said:
It's actually quite important where the x is placed (I'm sure curecat is aware of that), x Cupressocyparis denotes an intergeneric hybrid while Cupressus x ??? denotes an interspecific hybrid

Thank you for elaborating, those details are not explained on that page, though there is some further information on the use of 'x' at the bottom of the link that I quoted from.

Quote:

caphillkid said:
  Maybe someone can explain how the tradition of only italicizing the species name but not the genus name came to be, I'm curious.

Where did you hear that?  Both names are italicized, the first letter of the genus name is capitalized, and the species name is in all lower case.

--------------------

OfflineRaspootin
Stranger

Loc: North of Seattle
    #11696420 - 12/22/09 12:10 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

:smile: You're welcome, I didn't really dig into the links at all, just regurgitating what's been hammered into my consciousness during botany and plant identification over the last couple years lol.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies