Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Buy Kava Tea   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineIstigkeit
Good Vibrations
Male

Loc: Across The Universe
Books
    #11594897 - 12/06/09 09:20 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

What psychedelic books are you reading right now or have been meaning to read?

I am in the process of reading Doors of Perception and Heaven and Hell

I just got Food of the Gods and it's pretty good so far.

I read DMT: The Spirit Molecule, it kicked ass

I have a million books on my holiday list, like Sex, Drugs, Elves, Einstein and Zig Zag Zen, and The Psychedelic Experience.

:tripping:

(By the way, from now, I am calling my penis my prophecy beaker)

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedummy
I am you and what I see is me

Re: Books [Re: Istigkeit]
    #11595425 - 12/06/09 11:15 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

check out exo-psychology

--------------------
People never seem to know what they least suspect is coming next.

OfflineAngel_Above
Nobody
Male

Re: Books [Re: dummy]
    #11595780 - 12/06/09 12:25 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Here's my Christmas Book list:

Terence Mckenna:
The Archaic Revival Speculations on Psychedelic Mushrooms, the Amazon, Virtual Reality, UFOs, Evolution, Shamanism, the Rebirth of the Goddess, and the End of History

Food of the Gods: The Search for the Original Tree of Knowledge - A Radical History of Plants, Drugs, and Human Evolution

True Hallucinations: Being an Account of the Author’s Extraordinary Adventures in the Devil’s Paradise

The Evolutionary Mind: Trialogues on Science, Spirit & Psychedelics

Chaos, Creativity, and Cosmic Consciousness

Daniel Pinchbeck:

Breaking Open the Head: A Psychedelic Journey into the Heart of Contemporary Shamanism

2012: The Return of Quetzalcoatl

Toward 2012: Perspectives on the Next Age

2012: Biography of a Time Traveler: The Journey of Jose Arguelles

Reality 2.0 Shamans, Psychedelics, Next Step Evolution

Michio Kaku:

"M-Theory: The Mother of All Superstrings”

Quantum Field Theory: A Modern Introduction

To Win a Nuclear War: The Pentagon's Secret War Plans

Parallel Worlds: The Science of Alternative Universes and Our Future in the Cosmos

Physics of the Impossible: A Scientific Exploration into the World of Phasers, Force Fields, Teleportation, and Time Travel
Strings, Conformal Fields, and M-Theory

Hyperspace: A Scientific Oddysey

John Allegro:The Sacred Mushroom and the Cross

Alduous Huxley: The Doors of Perception

Jan Irvin and Andrew Rutajit: Astrotheology & Shamanism: Christianity's Pagan Roots

J. R. Irvin: The Holy Mushroom Evidence of Mushrooms in Judeo-Christianity

Ray, Reginald: 
Indestructible Truth: The Living Spirituality of Tibetan ( a. World of Tibetan Buddhism, V. 1.) 

Secret of the Vajra World: The Tantric Buddhism of Tibet (a. World of Tibetan Buddhism ; V. 2

Graham Hancock:  Supernatural

Fingerprints Of The Gods

Honestly though, I don't think I got a lot of the title's right, haha.

Edited by Angel_Above (12/06/09 01:32 PM)

OfflineBlue Key
Key that is Blue
Male

Loc: o high o
Re: Books [Re: Angel_Above]
    #11596283 - 12/06/09 01:49 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I'm about to read Einstein's Intersection

Invisibleklimt
Stranger
Male

Re: Books [Re: Blue Key]
    #11596311 - 12/06/09 01:54 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I plan on reading The Shroomery Re-lived: The top 100 greatest posts by Ythan.

Should be an interesting read over the holidays.

--------------------

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
Re: Books [Re: klimt]
    #11604400 - 12/07/09 03:41 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

read aldous huxley's _island_

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

InvisiblePrimal Glitch
literally just vibing
Male User Gallery

Loc: 🌎 Flag
Re: Books [Re: Blue Key]
    #11604429 - 12/07/09 03:46 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Blue Key said:
I'm about to read Einstein's Intersection

:thumbup:this and nova are both great books by S.R.Delany

--------------------

make the changa you wish to see in the world
                                                                gnome sayin'?

InvisibleEntropymancer
 User Gallery
Re: Books [Re: Primal Glitch] * 1
    #11604543 - 12/07/09 04:02 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Here's my drug book list. It's been a while since my last spin through Schultes and Hofmann's Botany and Chemistry of the Hallucinogens, I'll probably be giving that another read soon.

Quote:

Entropymancer said:
To my knowledge, the following list comprises all attempts which have attempted generalized overviews of psychoactive plants with an eye towards their botany and chemistry, excepting a handful of less rigorous works (such as Weil & Rosen's Chocolate to Morphine, Rudgley's less-than-encyclopedic Encyclopedia of Psychoactive Substances, and Victor Reko's overembellished-and-error-prone Magische Gifte)

• (1855)
    Die narkotischen Genußittel und der Mensch [The Narcotic Stimulants and Man]
    (Translated to English as Plant Intoxicants, 1994)
    Baron Ernst von Bibra
    [Bibra covers: coffee, tea, mate, guarana, chocolate, khat, the fly agaric, datura, coca, opium, hashish, tobacco, and betel... not a bad spread for over 150 yeras ago.]

• (1855)
    Chemistry of Common Life
    (Reprinted numerous times)
    James F.W. Johnston
    [While Johnston's work was not explicitly a treatment of drug chemistry, it contained several chapters on "The Beverages We Infuse" (Tea, Coffee, and Chocolate), as well as on "The Narcotics We Indulge In" (datura, fly agaric, coca, betel, cannabis, opium, hops, and tobacco) which make it worth consideration as a historic book of drug lore]

• (1860)
    The Seven Sisters of Sleep
    (Reprinted 1997, Park Street Press: Rochester, VT)
    Mordecai Cubitt Cooke
    [Excellent early review of the seven best-known psychoactive plants in the Victorian era: tobacco, opium, cannabis, betel nut, coca, datura, and fly agaric]

• (1924)
    Phantastica
    (German 2nd Edition, 1927. Translated to English 1931 from German 2nd Edition, reprinted 1998)
    Louis Lewin
    [Popular book by the well-known German pharmacologist, covering opium and morphine (and some related opiates), coca and cocaine, peyotl, cannabis, the fly agaric, Solanaceous deleriants, ayahuasca, alcohol, kava, betel, khat, coffee, mate, tea, kola nut, guarana, cacao, tobacco, and a few other various and sundry plants and chemicals.]

• (1972)
    Narcotic Plants
    (2nd Edition 1979)
    William Emboden
    [A nearly exclusively botanical treatment of the psychoactive plants, interspersed with the occasional graphic plate depicting the plant's context in indigenous use (generally either paraphernalia or ancient artwork). An excellent source for botanical information, but not much else]

• (1973)
    Botany and Chemistry of Hallucinogens
    (2nd Edition, 1980)
    Richard Evans Schultes and Albert Hofmann
    [Until Ott's Pharmacotheon, Schultes & Hofmann's Botany and Chemistry of Hallucinogens was the definitive volume on the visionary plant drugs.  The majority of the book is occupied in Chapter 4 (on "Plants of Hallucinogenic Use") and the bibliography. Aside from that there are only 30 pages of introductory remarks and a concluding 50 pages on the "Alleged" and "Possible" hallucinogens. Unfortunately the work lacks a Table of Contents.  The "Plants of Hallucinogenic Use" whose chemistry and ethnobotanical backgrounds are discussed include: ergot, fly agarics, psilocybian mushrooms, cannabis, nutmeg, Virola spp., Anadenanthera spp., jurema, mescal beans, ayahuasca, the psychoactive phenethylamine-containing cacti, iboga, the bindweeds (Ipomoea, Turbina, and Argyria), Salvia divinorum, the Solanaceous deleriants, Justicia pectoralis, Psychotria viridis, and a few sundry others]

• (1978)
    Psychedelics Encyclopedia
    (2nd Edition 1983; 3rd Edition 1992)
    Peter Stafford (with technical editor Jeremy Bigwood)
    [This volume is primarily noteworthy for its inclusion of preparation methods for the substances discussed, though the dosage advice is somewhat spurious.  It is otherwise fairly unremarkable; informative, well-organized, but lacking in adequate citations or bibliography and containing little information that couldn't be found in Schultes & Hofmann's Botany and Chemistry for example.  Primary subjects covered are: LSD, the lysergic acid amides, ergot, and bindweeds; peyotl, mescaline, and san pedro; cannabis; psilocybian mushrooms; nutmeg, MDA, and MDMA; DMT, DET, and DPT; ayahuasca and harmaline; iboga and ibogaine; fly agarics and panther caps. Subjects given cursory treatment include: Solanaceous deleriants, yohimbe, kava, and ketamine]

• (1979)
    Plants of the Gods
    (Revised and expanded edition coauthored by Christian Rätsch printed in 2001
    Richard Evans Schultes and Albert Hofmann (with Christian Rätsch)
    [Much less informationally dense than the other sources, but full of color photographs and other graphics. Sort of the 'coffee-table book' guide to the sacred psychoactive plants]

• (1993)
    Pharmacotheon
    (2nd Edition, 1996)
    Jonathan Ott
    [Truly a masterwork. Very thoroughly cited, treating the material in a lucidly direct and engaging fashion, informed by personal experience with the substances.  Primary subjects are: mescaline and the cacti of which it's a constituent; lysergic acid amides and the morning glories (Convolvulaceae) and Ergot fungus in which it occurs; South American snuffs, particularly cohoba and epéna; β-carbolines, ayahuasca, and rue; the psilocybian mushrooms, psilocybin, psilocin, and baeocystine; and ibotenic acid, muscimol, and the fly agarics. Compounds given only a very cursory treatment include: calamus root and the asarones; atropine, hyoscyamine, scopolamine, and the Solanaceous deleriants; ibogaine and voacangine; nicotine, Tobacco spp., and pituri; kava and the kavapyrones; Salvia divinorum and salvinorin A; and Cannabis spp. and tetrahydrocannabinols. Very thorough bibliography. Defined scope of the work is the "entheogens"]

• (1995,2002, and 2005)
    Pharmako/Poeia, Pharmako/Dynamis, and Pharmako/Gnosis
    Dale Pendell
    [Very poetic trilogy covering the "poison path", with one volume on the inebriants (/Poeia), one volume on the stimulants (/Dynamis), and one volume on the visionary compounds (/Gnosis). Captures the essence of the experience in the poetry of the monograph. Not particularly dense on definite history; just a visceral expression of the experience]
    [Pharmako/Poeia covers: tobacco, pituri, alcohol, absinthe, opium, kava, Salvia divinorum, cannabis, and a few sundry others]
    [Pharmako/Dynamis covers: coffee, tea, chocolate, mate & guayusa, guarana, kola, betel, Ephedra spp., khat, amphetamine, coca, nutmeg, MDMA, and GHB]
    [Pharmako/Gnosis covers: morning glories, psilocybian mushrooms, LSD, mescal beans, peyotl, Trichocereus spp., ayahuasca, jurema, syrian rue, Bufo alvarius, DMT, tropanes and the Solanaceous deleriants, ketamine, the fly agaric, and iboga]

• (1998)
    Enzyklopädie der psychoaktiven Pflanzen [Enclyclopedia of Psychoactive Plants]
    (Translated to English 2005, Park Street Press)
    Christian Rätsch
    [Truly encyclopedic volume, covers 414 psychoactive plants.  Depth of information is not tremendous, covering a smattering of chemistry and ethnography, but each monograph is concluded with a bibliography through which to find further source material. A great volume.

Additionally there are two excellent collections which make no attempt at being comprehensive, but are nevertheless eminently citable for the abundance of information contained in their constituent articles.  Obviously there are others (like Sacred Mushroom Seeker: Essays for R. Gordon Wasson), but these two stand head-and-shoulder above:

• (1967)
    The Ethnopharmacologic Search for Psychoactive Drugs
    Editors: Daniel Efron, Bo Holmstedt, and Nathan S. Kline

• (1972)
    Flesh of the Gods: The Ritual Use of Hallucinogens
    Editor: Peter T. Furst

Additionally there are several publications which are excellent sources of information on a particular substance.  The following list is by no means exhaustive, and if anyone can add to it I'd love to hear suggestions.

Anadenanthera Seeds

• (2006)
    Anadenanthera: Visionary Plant of Ancient South America
    Constantino Manuel Torres and David B. Repke

Caffeine Plants

• (2001)
    The World of Caffeine
    Bennett Alan Weinberg and Bonnie K. Bealer

• (1998)
    Caffeine Blues: Wake up the the Hidden Dangers of America's #1 Drug
    Stephen A. Cherninske

• (1985)
    The Cacahuatl Eater: Ruminations of an Unabashed Chocolate Addict
    Jonathan Ott

• (1922)
    All About Coffee
    William Ukers

Cannabis

• (2002)
    Cannabis: A History
    Martin Booth

• (2002)
    Cannabis and Cannabinoids: Pharmacology, Toxicology, and Therapeutic Potential
    Franjo Grotenhermen and Ethan Russo

• (1998)
    Marijuana Medicine: A World Tour of the Healing and Visionary Powers of Cannabis
    (Original publication in German. Translated to English 2001)
    Christian Rätsch

Coca

• (1978)
    Mama Coca
    Antonil

• (1901)
    History of Coca: "The Divine Plant" of the Incas
    W. Golden Mortimer

DMT Plants

• (1994)
    Ayahuasca Analogues
    Jonathan Ott

• (1998)
    Trout's Notes on Ayahuasca & Ayahuasca Alkaloids
    (2nd Edition 2004 as Ayahuasca: Alkaloids, Plants & Analogs)
    Keeper of the Trout

• (2007?)
    Some Simple Tryptamines (2nd Edition)
    (Date of 1st Edition publication unknown)
    Keeper of the Trout

Fly Agaric

• (1957)
    Mushrooms, Russia and History
    R. Gordon Wasson and Valentina Pavlovna Wasson

• (1968)
    Soma: Divine Mushroom of Immortality
    R. Gordon Wasson

Harmala Alkaloids, Rue & Ayahuasca

• (1989)
    Haoma and Harmaline: The Botanical Identity of the Indo-Iranian Sacred Hallucinogen "Soma" and its Legacy in Religion, Language, and Middle Eastern Folklore
    David Stophlet Flattery and Martin Schwartz

Kava

• (1992)
    Kava - The Pacific Elixir: The Definitive Guide to its Ethnobotany, History, and Chemistry
    (Republished 1997)
    Vincent Lebot, Mark David Merlin, and Lamont Lindstrom

Psilocybian Mushrooms

• (1980)
    The Wondrous Mushroom: Mycolatry in Mesoamerica
    R. Gordon. Wasson

• (1978)
    Teonanácatl: Hallucinogenic Mushrooms of North America
    Editors: Jonathan Ott and Jeremy Bigwood

• (1957)
    Mushrooms, Russia and History
    R. Gordon Wasson and Valentina Pavlovna Wasson

Offline1200 Micrograms
shroomed

Re: Books [Re: Entropymancer]
    #11604560 - 12/07/09 04:04 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

That's one hell of a great collection. :thumbup:

InvisibleFeanor
 User Gallery

Re: Books [Re: klimt]
    #11604754 - 12/07/09 04:31 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

klimt said:
I plan on reading The Shroomery Re-lived: The top 100 greatest posts by Ythan.

Should be an interesting read over the holidays.

That sounds interesting. I haven't heard about it. Do you know where it can be found?

--------------------

May Terence McKenna Live Long

The DMT Chronicles

Offlinemorrowasted
Worldwide Stepper
Male User Gallery

Loc: House of Mirrors
    #11605155 - 12/07/09 05:18 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I don't really read many books that you would probably classify as "psychedelic" (though I read the two Strassman books). I do read a lot of "mind-fuck" books though. Currently reading all of the books by Douglas Hofstadter. Finished Godel Escher and Bach and I Am a Strange Loop and working on Metamagical Themas

guy is a fuckin genius

Edited by morrowasted (12/07/09 05:20 PM)

Offlinenickfreezerbag
Carpenter/Artist
Male User Gallery

Re: Books [Re: morrowasted]
    #11605363 - 12/07/09 05:48 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge by Carlos Castaneda

Great book so far.

If you like hearing trip reports of different entheogens than you should pick up this book.:mushroom2:

So far he has given a report of peyote, datura, and where I am at right now he is preparing for salvia if im not mistaken.

Really interesting story which is followed by 4 or more books.
check it out:thumbup:

--------------------

InvisibleEntropymancer
 User Gallery
Re: Books [Re: nickfreezerbag]
    #11605391 - 12/07/09 05:51 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

The best part about that book is that he made all that shit up, then claimed it was fieldwork to recieve his PhD. There was no such person as Don Juan.

On one of the days he claimed to be out tripping cactus, library records verify that he was in fact at the university library, reading someone else's firsthand account of the effects. :awesome:

Offlinenickfreezerbag
Carpenter/Artist
Male User Gallery

Re: Books [Re: Entropymancer]
    #11605418 - 12/07/09 05:54 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Haha really? I didn't know that.
Nice one Carlos haha

--------------------

OfflineTaterCaboose
Somethings Fucky...

#11605912 - 12/07/09 07:11 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

"High Priest" by Dr. Timothy Leary.

--------------------
:themoreyouknow:  :hank:

OfflineDocHoliday
ANTICON
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Moon.......
    #11912610 - 01/27/10 03:39 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

you want some tripped out shit to read. I dont think your gonna find anythign better than this. Search for the book House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielwski.

That shit is aMAZEing....

--------------------
:syringe:"There is no normal life, Wyatt, there's just life, ya live it." - Doc Holiday:syringe:

Offlinesyberia
shapeshifter

#11912664 - 01/27/10 03:49 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

nickfreezerbag said:
The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge by Carlos Castaneda

Great book so far.

If you like hearing trip reports of different entheogens than you should pick up this book.:mushroom2:

So far he has given a report of peyote, datura, and where I am at right now he is preparing for salvia if im not mistaken.

Really interesting story which is followed by 4 or more books.
check it out:thumbup:

:crazy2:

OfflineDocHoliday
ANTICON
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Moon.......
Re: Books [Re: syberia]
    #11921084 - 01/28/10 10:03 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

HOUSE OF LEAVES

--------------------
:syringe:"There is no normal life, Wyatt, there's just life, ya live it." - Doc Holiday:syringe:

Offlinecrackbillionair
Stranger
Re: Books [Re: DocHoliday]
    #11921105 - 01/28/10 10:07 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

"The Ketamine Chronicles"

...Naranjo's book on MDA.

Dr. Yensen's paper on MDA...doctoral thesis, Michigan University.

Layercake by JJ Connolly (fiction)

BTW, a movie hit sundance last week called 'Holly Rollers' about a hasidic jew MDMA op in Amsterdam.

Shulgin's psychedelic index....................

Offlinepirateseatsouls
Facehead
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle(ish), WA Flag
Re: Books [Re: crackbillionair]
    #11921129 - 01/28/10 10:12 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I am currently reading:
-Acid Dreams
-DMT: The Spirit Molecule
-Heavenly Highs (about DMT, ayahuasca, kava kava, ibogaine, etc.)
-Mushroom Wisdom
I think thats my collection so far... its a work in progress...

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Buy Kava Tea   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order