Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
Sensing Another's Aura... Science Fiction or Fact?
    #1159372 - 12/21/02 01:57 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Previously, whenever the topic of "auras" came up, I would write it off as nothing but (and I mean this nicely) "hippie bullshit." But recently I read something that may have changed my mind a bit.

Some scientists are arguing that we really do have auras, in the sense that we all have an electrical field that surrounds us. This is a scientific fact.

Our muscles contract as a result of electrical impulses. Our hearts gives off electrical signals that doctors can measure with an electrocardiogram. Our brains also give off electrical signals that doctors can measure with an electroencephalogram.

All of these things are what result in the electrical fields that surround us. So auras, if you look at it this way, are not just some fanciful emanation of the so-called "soul."

But, you may be asking yourself, if auras are actually electrical fields that surround each and every one of us; why can only some people "see" them? This is where the facts end and the theories begin.

The main theory is simply that some people have a uniquely strong ability to sense electrical fields. This is not as far-fetched as it might seem.

Many animals are known to be able to detect electrical or magnetic fields to aid them in catching their prey or in finding their way on long migrations. This special sense is especially common in fish (probably because it is easier to detect electrical fields in an aqueous environment), but it is also known to occur in species of birds, reptiles and mammals.

It's very possible that humans have this electrical sense, too, but it is so weak in most of us that it is not noticeable or useful at all. If this were true, it is also possible that some people could have an electrical sense that is more acute that most other's, thus allowing them to actually see people's auras.

I don't know if I necessarily believe this theory, but it does seem plausible. Our auras (or electrical fields) can even be demonstrated using a method called Kirlian Photography, as shown in this picture:

So what do you guys think? I'm interested to see if any of you have ever experienced seeing someone's aura or know anyone else who has.

--------------------
Namaste.

Edited by RebelSteve33 (12/21/02 03:54 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinenubious
1up on the rest

Loc: Canada
Re: Sensing Another's Aura... Science Fiction or Fact? [Re: RebelSteve33]
    #1159462 - 12/21/02 03:34 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Finally someone posts some scientific backing for this.. it's about time!
I myself can see aura's, but only when I really look for them. It's been known by martial arts practitioners for centuries that there is what some call "chi", which when harnessed correctly can be used to effect the strength of a punch or kick, for example. When I first started taking ninjitsu I didn't quite believe this fact, and I think that fuels part of the reason I dropped out.. (my instructor was big on the 'chi' thing...)... Years later someone showed me how to view this energy field around our bodies and my opinion permanantly changed.

--------------------
No one knows the worth of innocence till he knows it is gone forever, and that money can't buy it back. Not the saint, but the sinner that repenteth, is he to whom the full length and breadth, and height and depth, of life's meaning is revealed. Good and evil loose all objective meaning and are seen as equally necessary and contrasting elements in the masterpiece that is the universe.

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Re: Sensing Another's Aura... Science Fiction or Fact? [Re: nubious]
    #1159478 - 12/21/02 03:51 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I read a book about Qi (it's spelled Qi but pronounced "Chi") that was really interesting.  I talked about it in the accupuncture thread that someone made in this forum a short while ago, in fact...

There is no biological evidence to prove the existence of Qi, but the book I read (Encounters With Qi by I Forget His Name) gave plenty of experimental evidence that proved, at least to me, that it does exist.  From what I understand, it takes a lot of dedication and practice, but there are people called Qi Gong masters who can focus their Qi at will and use it to perform some amazing feats.

Neat stuff!  :laugh:

--------------------
Namaste.

Edited by RebelSteve33 (12/21/02 03:55 AM)

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Re: Sensing Another's Aura... Science Fiction or Fact? [Re: nubious]
    #1159479 - 12/21/02 03:53 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

By the way... You said that somebody showed you how to view these energy fields around people's bodies.  Would you be able to explain to others in this forum how to do the same thing?  It would be very interesting indeed! :smile:

--------------------
Namaste.

OfflineFatNug
Si-Hing

Loc: Everywhere at 1nce
    #1159651 - 12/21/02 06:05 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Now we ask ourselves..."Where in the hell does this electrical energy come from?" It doesnt just apper out of thin air, it can't be created, nor destroyed, so where does it go when you die? This energy is what people refer to as "chi" or "Qi". Some people can direct it, some can't. So what makes reading auras so impossible, or for that matter telekinesis/psychokinesis (I can't do it, but thats not to say it cant be done). hmmmm...

PS: There are books on auras out there, and lotta websites as well. I've been trying for a coupla months, but i cant see the colors. I just see a blob of clearish grey, with little spots of light. You kinda just have to unfocus your eyes and let it happen with no expectations.

--------------------
================================================So what's your peace of mind huh? A swiss watch? leasin' a Lex on credit? all the pussy and liquor a nigga can get..put together this puzzle, but my pieces won't fit.. {Ras kass}

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Sensing Another's Aura... Science Fiction or Fact? [Re: FatNug]
    #1159665 - 12/21/02 06:12 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Now we ask ourselves..."Where in the hell does this electrical energy come from?"
Sorry, WE don't ask ourselves, but you do. Our body creates electrical energy from chemical interactions similar to the way batteries do. Do batteries have souls? Where do they go when they die?

Some people can direct it, some can't.
Some can CLAIM it, but no one can do it.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

Loc: The Canadian west coast
Re: Sensing Another's Aura... Science Fiction or F [Re: RebelSteve33]
    #1159761 - 12/21/02 07:10 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

According to a professor at the local school of traditional chinese medicine, an aura is not qi. If you have learned to see an aura then you have simply learned to raise your gall bladder up in front of your eyes. Qi can be photographed, and you can see it (sorta). By seeing qi I mean that I, and anyone who cares to try this, can percieve the aliveness of a tree, for example. Look at the green needles of an evergreen against a blue sky, and note the transparent "field" around the green parts of the tree. Don't confuse this with an aura.

Swami you're wrong, you silly goose!

And what do you mean, rebelsteve There is no biological evidence to prove the existence of Qi? Qi is bioelectricity, so of course there's biological evidence.

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Re: Sensing Another's Aura... Science Fiction or F [Re: Dogomush]
    #1159792 - 12/21/02 07:28 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I didn't mean to imply that Qi and auras were the same thing... Although they could be... I'm not sure!  :crazy:

Also... Qi is what the Chinese believe to be the "vital life force" or "life energy" that flows throughout the human body through a system of meridians.  There is no concrete biological evidence to prove its existence, though.

--------------------
Namaste.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Sensing Another's Aura... Science Fiction or F [Re: Dogomush]
    #1159793 - 12/21/02 07:28 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Being constantly wrong is my schtick, my essence... :cool: 

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: Sensing Another's Aura... Science Fiction or Fact? [Re: Swami]
    #1159795 - 12/21/02 07:28 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

In reply to:

Sorry, WE don't ask ourselves, but you do.

No, it's "we do, you don't".

In reply to:

Do batteries have souls? Where do they go when they die?

Ask kryton where all the little calculators go.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
    #1159796 - 12/21/02 07:29 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

bio-electric energy field.
Open third eye to view.
ENjoy.

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Sensing Another's Aura... Science Fiction or Fact? [Re: Shroomism]
    #1159813 - 12/21/02 07:38 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Open third eye to view.

*grabs hammer and railroad spike*

Like this? Ouch!

--------------------

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

Loc: The Canadian west coast
Re: Sensing Another's Aura... Science Fiction or F [Re: RebelSteve33]
    #1159815 - 12/21/02 07:39 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Qi is what the Chinese believe to be the "vital life force" or "life energy" that flows throughout the human body through a system of meridians. There is no concrete biological evidence to prove its existence, though.

What you're saying is misleading. Cut your stomach meridian. Does any qi spill out onto the floor? The way you are describing qi isn't wrong but it's not quite how you put it. Qi is the product of the interaction of yin and yang. The difference between a dead body and a living body is that a dead body has no qi. That means that when one dies the yin and yang of the body cease to interact. So it is essential to life that yin and yang interact in the body, or nothing would happen. heart wouldn't beat, etc. Qi is not invisible blood, though. That's just a good enough definition for most of us. Electricity is also an interaction of yin and yang, correct? positive pulls negative negative pulls positive, back and forth movement makes a charge, I'm not sure but something like that right? bioelectricity man, bioelectricity.

Swami, I don't believe you, you're wrong again! Wait.... is that a vortex I feel myself falling into???

OfflineFatNug
Si-Hing

#1159957 - 12/21/02 09:10 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

In reply to:

Some can CLAIM it, but no one can do it.

-since we're playing this waste of time game...AGAIN.....no one that YOU KNOW OF can do it...that harldy makes it non-existant swami, or is it the all mighty omipotent swami, i keep forgetting.

--------------------
================================================So what's your peace of mind huh? A swiss watch? leasin' a Lex on credit? all the pussy and liquor a nigga can get..put together this puzzle, but my pieces won't fit.. {Ras kass}

InvisibleRevelation

User Gallery

Loc: heart cave
    #1160010 - 12/21/02 09:44 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I can see auras. Well...I can see things that look a lot like auras..Who knows what it is though.

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#1160148 - 12/21/02 10:42 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

since we're playing this waste of time game...AGAIN.....no one that YOU KNOW OF can do it...
How about no one that I know of, no one with the werewithal to take the Randi Challenge, no one willing to ever submit to a verifiable test, and every single claimant who backs down when asked to show their stuff (which is ALL of them), every shroomery member... and so forth?

that harldy makes it non-existant swami,
The old "you can't prove a negative" rears it's illogical head for the thousandth time. *sigh*

...or is it the all mighty omipotent swami, i keep forgetting.
Just Plain Old Swami will suffice. You might try some gingko biloba for your short term memory loss. Hope it helps.

--------------------

Anonymous

#1160214 - 12/21/02 11:12 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

The old "you can't prove a negative" rears it's illogical head for the thousandth time.

Chit mang, dat bitch is bootiful!  I loves dat biotch!

And if your so smart Mr. Smarty Pants, proove it! :tongue:

OfflineFatNug
Si-Hing

#1160255 - 12/21/02 11:55 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

The old "you can't prove a negative" rears it's illogical head for the thousandth time. *sigh*

-It really is getting old swami, ok! we understand,,you dont believe in anything you cant fully explain. Fine, good your a realist, left brained, many people including myself enjoy many of your posts, and respect your opinion (when it isn't served to us in an berating, ego serving display of your "logic " or" knowledge").  Does it really help you or anybody else to slice posts apart in your crusade to bring light to us illigocal heathens.  There are easier ways of making your points my friend. I suppose its not as amusing tho. Its fine that you have your doubts, and I WANT to hear them. I understand where they come form, but please try to keep somewhat of an open mind swami, we don't know everything yet! 

-Now to the point, I NEVER placed the "burden of proof" as they say, on you swami. I simply stated the fact that just because YOU don't believe in something, DOES NOT make it unconsionable, nor does it negate the possibility of {enter phenominon here} existing. You know, hu-man have not yet found ALL of the answers to all that exists, we're still trying to find out whats at the bottom of our oceans for christ sake.  We still can't find a way to run our SUV's for the next 10 years without burning out ouur resources, and forcing nuclear war. We still have no idea what we'de be capable of if we could use just 20% more of our brains.Yea we do know a good bit, but as much as we know, and the more we learn, the more we find that we actually know nothing.  :tongue: 

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#1160496 - 12/21/02 02:30 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I am an irritant for only ONE reason; for someone to either admit they are mistaken and shut up about it or to demonstrate something and shut me up. Instead it is a endless stream of unsubstantiated stories followed by whining about the mean skeptic.

--------------------

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
    #1160524 - 12/21/02 02:49 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Then maybe you should admit that you are a bit negative and sarcastic when replying to topics that can't be proven scientifically.

(maybe)  :blush:

As for the topic- I saw a video on this chineese acupuncturist who can channel electricity through his hands. He aquired this power from many years of medatation. He can even build up enough electricity to set a newspaper on fire!

Electrokenesis exists!  :laugh:

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

Edited by Murex (12/21/02 02:50 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom