Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineWterdog
Stranger
Any deadly look alikes of Psilocybe pelliculosa?
    #11566174 - 12/01/09 08:51 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Are there any deadly or harmfull look alikes to the Psilocybe pelliculosa mushroom? And anybody that knows alot about them feel free to tell me what to look for when identifying them. If anything stands out.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Any deadly look alikes of Psilocybe pelliculosa? [Re: Wterdog]
    #11566287 - 12/01/09 09:08 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

There are some deadly Galerina and Conocybe species that look similar.

Something like this

http://mushroomobserver.org/observer/observation_search?pattern=Galerina+vittaeformis

If you check the spore print color you will be fine.  There are no toxic lookalikes that have dark purple brown spores.

Offlinejet li
The One
Male User Gallery

Loc: penis double yew
    #11566290 - 12/01/09 09:08 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

OfflineWterdog
Stranger
Re: Any deadly look alikes of Psilocybe pelliculosa? [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #11566333 - 12/01/09 09:13 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

does that go for all shrooms? If it has a Dark purple brown spore print you know for sure it isnt toxic?

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #11566359 - 12/01/09 09:17 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

The only mushroom with a dark purple brown spore print that is toxic is Hypholoma fasciculare.

I guess Leratiomyces ceres is a bit toxic too but not that bad...

OfflineWterdog
Stranger
    #11566460 - 12/01/09 09:31 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Would you guys still be able to adentify some mushrooms I suspect to be pelliculosa if they are drying/dried? Or will that make it hard to tell, considering how small they get.

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #11566495 - 12/01/09 09:37 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

It makes it hard to tell, but not impossible, if the pictures are good.

Make sure you take the pictures with a digital camera and enable macro mode.  Do not use a cell phone.  Blurry pics of dried mushrooms are almost worthless.

It is very unlikely that you found Psilocybe pelliculosa.  You probably have a Mycena or Psathyrella or Galerina or Conocybe or Baeospora or something else.  For starters, check the gill color on dried mature specimens and report back.

OfflineWterdog
Stranger
    #11566631 - 12/01/09 09:56 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

the gills are an off dusty white color. They havent droped any prints on the white napkin I have them on

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #11566755 - 12/01/09 10:13 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

the gills are an off dusty white color.

U got a Mycena there bud.

Offlinepsylosymonreturns
aka Gym Sporrison
Male

Loc: Mos Eisley,
    #11567074 - 12/01/09 10:57 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

yup. learn about mycenas because they will waste all your time if your hunting pelliculosas and dont know about them. they are pretty easily recognised with a quick glance once you know what they look like.at first just look at the gills,if they are white its not right. then when you see a real pelli,well it will always be more than one, it will stand out. the gills will be dark.
they will resemble liberty caps in a way,they will have a viscid pellice, if it doesnt dont bother printing it unless you want to print every small brown mushroom in the forest .and like alan said it will have purple brown spores if you do print them.
been a while since ive found them. ive read clear cuts are good within the first few years or something but ive only found them in the forest myself. i havent dedicated too much time to them but next year i am going to  make a point to do it.
good luck,i hope this helped.

--------------------

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Loc: Registered: 6/04/02
    #11567097 - 12/01/09 11:01 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Wterdog said:
Are there any deadly or harmfull look alikes to the Psilocybe pelliculosa mushroom?

All mushrooms look the same to the non-observant person and different to those who can see.

The Philosophy of Morphology, page 27.

--------------------

OfflineWterdog
Stranger
Re: Any deadly look alikes of Psilocybe pelliculosa? [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #11567506 - 12/02/09 12:15 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Ok thanks il keep that in mind. Thats the problem when I go out on my shroom hunts. Iv been studying active ones for a few weeks now and going out and lookint at them almost everyday. I just find so many different looking ones, it gets overwealming and I can never remember exactly what to be looking for. Anybody have any tips for what shrooms to give my attention to when im looking? If i cant identifiy them on the field right of the bat

Offlinesaintide
Stranger
    #11689732 - 12/20/09 11:31 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

There is a look-alike that often grows near pelliculosa, at least in the Pacific Redwoods. It has the same shape and even a darkish nipple, but is clearish grey and the stem is translucent. Pelliculosa is brown and opaque.  I don't know if this imposter is deadly or not, and haven't actually identified it beyond "not pelliculosa".

Offlinesaintide
Stranger
Re: Any deadly look alikes of Psilocybe pelliculosa? [Re: saintide]
    #11689833 - 12/20/09 11:48 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

One tip on pelliculosa hunting for you wterdog -go slow, walk and sit down. get into places that are untouched forest, like off trail in big parks, etc. places deep in the forest that stay damp but get some sunlight are good. pelliculosa are really small so you have to tune in to the ground really carefully.

also, believe it or not, making a deal with the mushroom about where its going to pop up will work.  if you choose to try this, make the deal way in advance of your hunt by connecting consciously with the spirit of the mushroom and express your intentions to consume it and that you respect it as your teacher and guide. watch carefully for synchronistic signs leading you to a forested area, not even necessarily on a "mushroom hunt" but possibly at any time in your life. be aware and follow your intuition to where the mushroom will reveal itself. mushrooms found this way will be powerful, gentle teachers.

Offlinekateg
Stranger
    #13687956 - 12/26/10 07:27 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Leratiomyces ceres has been identified in my back yard. Lots of them. I have a beloved dog who needs to use the back yard. Is she in serious danger if she decides to sample these?

I also have Hohenbuehelia petaloides back there.

I'd just like to know how worried I have to be about what would happen to my dog if she ingests these things.

Invisibledhpgetsit
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Any deadly look alikes of Psilocybe pelliculosa? [Re: kateg]
    #13688492 - 12/26/10 09:31 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

They all look alike until your eye is trained.  Nothing beats experience.  :laugh:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract