Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleMycOhunter

Armillaria gallica
    #11531826 - 11/26/09 12:01 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Has anyone tried these as an edible before?

MycOhunter/Weiliiiiiii collection.

Armillaria gallica

Note the bulbous base of the stipe, as well as the yellow staining.  These smell delicious.

--------------------
True Community:  The process of deep respect and true listening for the needs of the other people in this community.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Armillaria gallica [Re: MycOhunter]
    #11531862 - 11/26/09 12:08 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Eat them.

InvisibleMycOhunter

Re: Armillaria gallica [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #11531879 - 11/26/09 12:13 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:
Eat them.

Have you ever tried them?

There massive amounts of these fruiting throughout the area weiliiiiiii and I were hunting so if they are a decent edible I shall collect many more pounds.

I like honey mushrooms, they make a fairly decent substitute for shiitake.

--------------------
True Community:  The process of deep respect and true listening for the needs of the other people in this community.

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
    #11532102 - 11/26/09 01:05 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Alan, you probably should not advise that people simply "eat them", not with this species.  It NEEDs to be cooked very thoroughly, and even then some people get an upset stomach. 

If you have never tried them before, cook them very well (saute till brown and crispy) and only eat a small portion at first to make sure that your stomach agrees with them.

That said, I am going to go harvest and cook some up today, since I love the flavour and they have colonized the entire mountain.

--------------------

InvisibleMycOhunter

Re: Armillaria gallica [Re: CureCat]
    #11532163 - 11/26/09 01:21 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

CureCat said:
Alan, you probably should not advise that people simply "eat them", not with this species.  It NEEDs to be cooked very thoroughly, and even then some people get an upset stomach. 

If you have never tried them before, cook them very well (saute till brown and crispy) and only eat a small portion at first to make sure that your stomach agrees with them.

That said, I am going to go harvest and cook some up today, since I love the flavour and they have colonized the entire mountain.

I know about cooking honeys, but good advice for those that are unaware of this :thumbup:

What type of honeys are you going to be picking? I thought gallica was an eastern species?

--------------------

InvisibleBobzimmer
Crawlin' Kingsnake
 User Gallery

Loc: NY
Trusted Identifier
    #11532488 - 11/26/09 02:27 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

This genus (and species) seems to be a popular edible in my area. I've seen some pot hunters collect mature specimens, but for the most part they carry long knives and cut off the unopened caps and leave the stems.

--------------------
Mr. Mushrooms said:
I will confess something that should be quite obvious, CC.  I love mushrooms, i.e. fungi.  I really do.  I am talking about a strong feeling, i.e. emotion, for them.  I think they are beautiful.  I even dream of them.

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Armillaria gallica [Re: Bobzimmer]
    #11533960 - 11/26/09 08:10 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I have not bothered identifying this one to species.  I tried to a couple years back and decided it was a poor use of my time.  I will try again and see which species I come up with.

That is quite the pile of stipes!

--------------------

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Armillaria gallica [Re: CureCat]
    #11533983 - 11/26/09 08:16 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Alright, I must have been lazy, because that only took moments to figure out. 

The ones I find all over around here are A. ostoyae.  Mmmm, I guess they could also be A. sinapina.  I like eating them.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures