Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Anonymous

Re: Moisture entering when sterilizing..
    #11439 - 04/06/00 03:40 PM (23 years, 11 months ago)

I've been working with the PF tek and also had some problems with strilization. Idealy the jars *should not* be wet at the top. for better sterlization bring your pot to a boil and then turn down the fire... let is *simmer* for an hour... make sure you're around to watch it at least till it boils... I've had my last two batches ruined by xtra water... my sugestion: 1). use tape for the holes instead of tinfoil (high quality tape, or put the tin foil unbetween the lit and the ring (making sure not to puncture the fiil with the jar-lit-holes))
this will keep any water from the jar from getting into your precious jars... kind of a problem solver.
and 2). make *sure* the water isn't boiling the whole time... this can cause the water in the jars to boil up, or it can dry them out... get them to 212* F then let them just simmer...
once you have water in the top your ballance is off... and it is also more likely to get contams...

one more thing you can check... carefully go back and read the directions, make sure you're using the right amt of water to begin with... if the tape-on-top doesn't fix it you might consider cutting back the amt of water you started with or switching types of verm.

also dont' be shy about letting your jars sit for up to a week before you inject them with spors: esp if you're new at this... that way if you get contam in them after a week, you can dump it and start over, perfection your tek and not losing spors in the process...

hope this works for you... remember it's all worth it in the end!
peace
Cabster

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

#11441 - 04/07/00 03:15 PM (23 years, 11 months ago)

If the tin foil extends down the side of the jars below the level of the water in the pot, when the jars cool they will suck water from the pot up into the jar. This sucks, ask me how I know.

A better plan is to use some kind of rack about an inch or so off the bottom of the pot. Keep an inch of water in there and steam the jars sterile. With the lid on the pot the internal temp will be 212F anywhere in the pot, not just in the water. A friend has a pot from Eatons that came with a steamer bottom and holds 12 half pints perfectly. Lucky bugger.

WATCH OUT for boil dry though. Its easy to do and will crack your jars all to shit, again ask me how I know.

Offlinemdmax37
    #11442 - 04/08/00 12:23 AM (23 years, 11 months ago)

Hey Car, I did the aluminum foil thing also, and no matter how well I did the foil most of the time at least 2 jars out of the eight that I was pressure cooking would come up with water inside the jar. I have never ran across anyone on here suggesting the way I do it so I will take credit for it. I have never lost a jar this way yet to moisture. And it's alot quicker and neater anyway, surprised I haven't seen it here before. Well here goes, The first lid I put on the jars is the one I have the holes poked in for inoculation, this lid is also put on rubber side down. Then I take a brand new lid with no holes in it and place it on the first lid except this time rubber side up so the 2 lids dont stick together then put the band on and tighten down, after your done sterilizing and the jars cool down remove the band and the top new lid only then replace the band and your ready to go. It works great and is much faster then the foil. The most I've gotten is a little condensation between the two lids but none ever again in the jars works great!

Anonymous

#11443 - 04/08/00 01:26 PM (23 years, 11 months ago)

Sweet idea mdmax37. If i use PF jars again I'll try that. I want to try rye next to avoid the f'n around with the tin foil and verm seal. I think the open oven idea keep things pretty sterile so I don't think I need the verm barrier.

Having said that I will probably have 100% loss. ;D

Jump to top Pages: 1