Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMitchKock
BlueDevilHunter
Male User Gallery

Loc: Portland, OR
Azurescens vs Broadly Umbonate Cyanofriscosa / 2009 Portland Psilocybe Photos
    #11424105 - 11/10/09 02:54 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

The purpose of this post is two-fold....

Firstly, to try and determine the macroscopic differences between the azurescens and the broadly umbonate variation of the cyanofriscosa. I have seen multiple photos of the cyanofriscosa with an umbo making it virtually identical to the azurescens.

Secondly, to show some of my better photos of psilocybe finds from fall 2009. All which came from within a maximum of 20 minutes from downtown Portland.

These first photos are of what I think to be azurescens, however I also found what I believe to be "common" cyanofriscosas (lacking the umbo - visually similar to cyanofibrillosa) only a couple hundred yards away. Both these mushrooms had similar, if not identical, spore print colors - Purple/brown, almost black. The potential azurs were considerably larger than the cyanos, which tended to have the majority of the stem underground. In most cases, only the cap and a small amount of stem was protruding from the ground. The caps were not as large as the potential azurs, either.
Normally I would trust my gut that these are azurs, but the proximity to the cyanos, coupled with the fact that I have seen photos of them looking virtually identical (broadly umbonate) to azurs, leaves me wondering.

The next photos are of the (what I believe to be) "umbo-less" cyanofriscosas that were very close by.

Any help on macroscopic differences in the azur vs the broadly umbonate cyanofriscosa is greatly appreciated.

The rest of the pictures are just some fun finds of the fall.....
My ID's are based purely on macroscopic information, and done to the best of my ability. Please share with me if you think I may be wrong on anything.

Psilocybe Stuntzii (wood-loving)

Psilocybe Cyanescens

Thanks,
MK

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblekarode13Facebook
Tāne Mahuta
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: LV-426
Trusted Identifier
Re: Azurescens vs Broadly Umbonate Cyanofriscosa / 2009 Portland Psilocybe Photos [Re: MitchKock]
    #11424193 - 11/10/09 03:47 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Nice first post MitchKock

Those mushrooms don't grow where I'm located so can't help you with info, nice finds though.

Welcome to the Shroomery! :mushroom2:

--------------------

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Loc: Registered: 6/04/02
Re: Azurescens vs Broadly Umbonate Cyanofriscosa / 2009 Portland Psilocybe Photos [Re: MitchKock]
    #11424482 - 11/10/09 07:12 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Welcome to the Shroomery, Mitch.  Nice flush and great mushrooms.

I'd like to hear some of the West Coast weigh in on these.  In my experience I would immediately call those Azures from the classic Azure morphology.  Did you try bruising them?  I've seen friscos bruise as dark, I'm just curious.  Alan has posted some umbonate friscos on the Internet but I don't know if he did the microscopy necessary to distinguish them.  I do know that multiple species can group if the conditions are right.

Here's an example of friscos and cyans mingled together.

Here are two of Alan's umbonate variety.

http://www.mushroomobserver.org/image/show_image/8469?obs=5035&seq_key=793173
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Psilocybe_cyanofriscosa_8486.jpg

He can explain them.

Quote:

I have seen multiple photos of the cyanofriscosa with an umbo making it virtually identical to the azurescens.

My suspicion is that the photos were taken because it is unusual and not representative of the species at all.  Most friscos I have seen are plain, not umbonate.

--------------------

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a Chemical Vacation
Re: Azurescens vs Broadly Umbonate Cyanofriscosa / 2009 Portland Psilocybe Photos [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #11424497 - 11/10/09 07:20 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Do any other than P. azurescens of the species discussed here have a white rim around the pileus?

--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Re: Azurescens vs Broadly Umbonate Cyanofriscosa / 2009 Portland Psilocybe Photos [Re: German Kahuna]
    #11424505 - 11/10/09 07:23 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Other than friscos I'm not sure.

--------------------

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a Chemical Vacation
Re: Azurescens vs Broadly Umbonate Cyanofriscosa / 2009 Portland Psilocybe Photos [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #11424541 - 11/10/09 07:32 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Well, I don't know friscos too well at all, that's why I asked. But I plan to make a few outdoor beds next year.

--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

OfflineFahkface
Over-Fiend
Male User Gallery

Loc: In your Mind, Pedro! In y...
Re: Azurescens vs Broadly Umbonate Cyanofriscosa / 2009 Portland Psilocybe Photos [Re: German Kahuna]
    #11424914 - 11/10/09 09:20 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Indeed a nice first post! Congrats on the finds! :thumbup:

OfflineMitchKock
BlueDevilHunter
Male User Gallery

Loc: Portland, OR
Re: Azurescens vs Broadly Umbonate Cyanofriscosa / 2009 Portland Psilocybe Photos [Re: Fahkface]
    #11425892 - 11/10/09 12:28 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Mr Mushroom,
Yes, the blue bruising was very intense with both the potential azurescens and the cyanofriscosas, however it was more evident in the azures. 

There is a spore selling website that was selling cyanos, and the picture they used was of only broadly umbonate (macroscopically similar to azures) cyanofriscosas.  If I didn't know of the existence of (broadly umbonate) cyanos, I would immediately assume them to be azures by the picture alone.
After several attempts to find this site, and its cyano pictures, I can not locate it. It is a prime example of the cause of my confusion.
If anyone finds this picture, please let me know.

On a different note... should I start referring to the cyanofricosa as cyanofriscana?

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

#11426006 - 11/10/09 12:50 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

You can refer to it anyway you want.  Many of us are aware the name isn't correct though.

I googled around for the website but I couldn't find anything.  Sorry.

--------------------

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #11426119 - 11/10/09 01:09 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

The first group is azures, the second group is cyanofriscosa.  The umbo is much more reliable on the azures, and the stem is a bit thinner.

Cyanofriscosa has to have a thicker cap that is more rounded at the edges. 

Cyanofriscana is more correct latin, but not many people call it that.  You can call it either name but more people will know what you are talking about if you call it cyanofriscosa.

Cyanofriscosa:  9750 google hits
Cyanofriscana:  4 google hits

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Re: Azurescens vs Broadly Umbonate Cyanofriscosa / 2009 Portland Psilocybe Photos [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #11426267 - 11/10/09 01:30 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Sweet.  That's what I thought.  Anybody know what a dose is for friscos?

--------------------

InvisibleBlimeyGrimey
Collector of Spores
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Puget Sound
Trusted Identifier
    #11426319 - 11/10/09 01:36 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Dose is the same as Psilocybe cyanescens.

--------------------
Message me for free microscopy services on Psilocybe, Panaeolus, and Gymnopilus species.

Looking for wild Panaeolus cinctulus and Panaeolus olivaceus prints.

Invisiblecaphillkid
Coquus Boleti

Loc: Jet City
Re: Azurescens vs Broadly Umbonate Cyanofriscosa / 2009 Portland Psilocybe Photos [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #11426361 - 11/10/09 01:40 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:

Cyanofriscana is more correct latin...

It's fake Latin so I don't think either is more correct, but I would love to hear an explanation.

OfflineCubeBensies
Stranger
Male

Loc: PNW
Re: Azurescens vs Broadly Umbonate Cyanofriscosa / 2009 Portland Psilocybe Photos [Re: caphillkid]
    #11428561 - 11/10/09 07:49 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Very cool seeing a urban azurescens patch that is apparently not a result of cultivation.  I just got back from picking azures today, If I were to print a bunch of them and make a spray bottle and start spraying the shit out of seattle area woodchip beds, do you guys think that they would start growing like the patch the OP found?

OfflineTopcorn
False idol
 User Gallery

Loc: Observable universe
    #11428876 - 11/10/09 08:45 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

do the cyanofriscanas become wavy as they mature, or is the cap margin generally even, as is with the azures?

I found a large patch yesterday of what i assumed were regular cyans, as i got home and cleaned em up i started to notice that while most had the classic upturned margin i find on so many cyans, a bunch have a margin that is not quite upturned, but instead remains a bit rounded even with very wavy mature specimens.

in this pic the big one on the right has what i call an upturned margin, i find a lot of mature ones like this everywhere. the ones in the middle have more of a rounded margin, even some large mature wavy ones had margins that were still rounded, there were a lot more that had rounded blue margins, not just these pictured.

These were found in bellingham, the weather up here has been perfect for growth lately, i dont think these are just some regular cyans that began to decay before reaching full maturity. could they be a "strain" of cyanescens or maybe a diff species? If they are something different the patch appears to a mix of them and cyanescens.

--------------------
Slayer of robot dinosaurs in a futuristic landscape

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Azurescens vs Broadly Umbonate Cyanofriscosa / 2009 Portland Psilocybe Photos [Re: Topcorn]
    #11428903 - 11/10/09 08:49 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

do the cyanofriscanas become wavy as they mature, or is the cap margin generally even, as is with the azures?

Sometimes, but not usually.

Quote:

I found a large patch yesterday of what i assumed were regular cyans,

Those are regular cyans.  In SF it seems evenly split 50/50 between cyanescens and cyanofriscosa, but in the PNW there is much more cyanescens.

OfflineDobie
Dopeless Hopefiend
Male User Gallery

Loc: ON DA BLOCK Flag
    #11429038 - 11/10/09 09:07 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Sorry I have been outta the scene for a couple years now, But are azures not strictly a costal speicies now?

--------------------
This place is gayer than when the balls touch

Offlinenotapillow
I want to be a fisherman
 User Gallery

Loc: A rare and different tune
    #11429081 - 11/10/09 09:12 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

thats amazing

i wonder if that patch was made or moved for a nearby area

that park is fucking bursting with magic

--------------------

OfflineCubeBensies
Stranger
Male

Loc: PNW
Re: Azurescens vs Broadly Umbonate Cyanofriscosa / 2009 Portland Psilocybe Photos [Re: notapillow]
    #11430225 - 11/10/09 11:55 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I am now printing a bunch of azures to make spray bottles and hopefully start some urban patches like the one you found for next year.

Mitch, I have a couple questions for you.  It is hard to see what substrate the azures are growing from because of all the leaves, is it woodchips and dirt or really decomposed chips or mulch or what?

The first pic makes the patch look really in the open, was is in the middle of the bed or on the edge of the bed near plants and trees?

The only urban mushrooms I pick nowadays are cyans, is there anything distinctly different about this bed from "normal" cyan beds?

Any info is appreciated, I think it would be really cool to be able to bring these amazing mushrooms to Seattle neighborhoods too!

Invisibleotherwhitemeat
Female User Gallery
Loc: Florida
Re: Azurescens vs Broadly Umbonate Cyanofriscosa / 2009 Portland Psilocybe Photos [Re: CubeBensies]
    #11434274 - 11/11/09 03:43 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

i have nothing to contribute to this thread except my amazement that azurescens are growing in/near portland.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract