Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: 352
Florida Macrocybe titans young? need id (pics)
    #1135958 - 12/12/02 02:55 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I stumbled upon these mushrooms at soccer practice at my school practice fields. they were growing on an incline on the side of the field where the field goes into a wooded area (mostly oaks and palms). They looked very nice when I found them and I thought for some reason that they may be Shiitake mushrooms (WTF). They seem to fit the description of Macrocybe titans when i got home: Growing in very tight clusters in slightly agitated soil, stalk with scales BLA BLA BLA. It has been raining intensively this past week with a 1-2 day break and today it just started again. from about 3 its been pouring till 8 now and there seems to be some kind of black mold-like thing on some of the mushrooms. The mushrooms have remained very sturdy even though there have been torrential rains. If these are Macrocybe titans then these are buttons because this mushroom can be 60-80 cm wide.
My problem is that the mushrooms are darker than on pictures in Common Mushroom of Florida and on the internet but this is probably due to the fact that these may be buttons. They are fairly waterlogged and a bit viscid when moist. Id like to say the spore print is white but i dont believe i could get any traceable print probably because of the age of the mushroom. If I manage to i will post. Help me out with the id if you can  :wink:

Also, the pictures maybe a bit lighter than what I collected, the lens i have isnt too good for this kind of shit. The last picture with all the mushrooms is a lot like the real color. The cap is slightly darker in the middle getting to a light diarrea brown  :grin:. the mold also darkens the cap around it immensely to a dark brown

CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO GET DETAILED PIC

Edited by MagmaManiac (12/12/02 02:57 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Florida Macrocybe titans young? need id (pics) [Re: MagmaManiac]
    #1136317 - 12/12/02 04:46 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Just looking at them suggests some sort of Tricholoma, but you need to make sure you get a spore print (at least) to be sure. As far as species, there are a pile of brown-capped Tricholomas and they are difficult to tell apart. And that assumes that they are actually in that genus. Odor is likely to be an important character on these.

As far as Macrocybe titans, they're not a species I'm familiar with, but this photo makes me think that they're probably not (unless your specimens are much bigger than I think they are).

Interesting specimens, and nice photos.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Florida Macrocybe titans young? need id (pics) [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1137017 - 12/12/02 10:53 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

these pictures are what make me think its titans:
http://www.floridanature.org/species.asp?species=Macrocybe_titans

the ones in the pic are lighter though

trying to get spore print

also: Until recently, Macrocybe titans was identified as Tricholoma titans. See this document for more details: http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/pdf1998/pegler98a.pdf

Edited by MagmaManiac (12/12/02 10:55 PM)

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #1137138 - 12/13/02 12:35 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

High,

i have never c0me acr0ss this mushr00m bef0re and we are in the Saras0ta/BradenT0n area

D0 y0u have an pics 0f them in their natural habitat?
And a sp0re print c0l0r,

C00l t0 see an0ther l0cal shr00mer in the neighb0rh00d with a camera

Keep Shr00min,
GG

Anonymous

Post deleted by Administrator [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #1137265 - 12/13/02 02:12 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
Re: Florida Macrocybe titans young? need id (pics) [Re: ]
    #1137332 - 12/13/02 02:50 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

well Ladle my keyb0ard appears t0 be fucked up

Several 0f the letters includeing the 0 and i and p and y all have t0 be c0py and pasted wth the m0use-pad s0 it takes a l0t l0nger t0 type

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1137352 - 12/13/02 02:59 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks for the nice link to the paper on Macrocybe.

Your mushrooms are certainly similar to Macrocybe titans. The biggest difference is that your specimens caps seem darker than those described. Short of somebody verifying the microscopic characteristics we're probably not going to be able to verify the ID.

Your best bet for a positive ID might be talking to a local mycologist who will be more familiar with the species there. Try looking for a local mycological society or contacting a nearby college/university.

Let us know if you do get a positive ID on them. I'd certainly be interested.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

InvisibleCow Shit Collector
Patty Poacher

Loc: Random Field
Re: Florida Macrocybe titans young? need id (pics) [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #1137958 - 12/13/02 07:57 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

L0L GG

--------------------

Life's a garden, Dig it!
~Joe Dirt

Off Topic Website

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1138179 - 12/13/02 09:08 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

SPORE PRINT: White to minimally off-white

once again fits the description of Macrocybe titans. WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK?

any tampa bay area mycolists i would like to contact you i am very interested in this find thanx

Edited by MagmaManiac (12/13/02 10:30 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags