Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinefrog_jo
New Enthusiast

concerned about air circulation
    #11343078 - 10/29/09 12:41 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

So I'm trying to start my first crop soon, but some of the conditions are unfavorable. I'm in an apartment, and the goal is not to let my room-mates know whats going on with this crop. Not that they would care, but I think its just better if they don't know. By the way, I'm planning on growing with the PF tek, of course!

So the best thing that I have thought of so far is either to put the terrarium under the bed, or in a cardboard box in my room. Either is spacious enough, but I'm concerned that my little guys won't get enough fresh air in these locations. Is this going to be an issue, and if so, what could I do to still keep my operation somewhat hidden, and give my guys enough fresh air?

Also, I would only be able to give them a few hours of light every day. I've heard that this should be sufficient, but I've also heard that 12 hours on and 12 off is ideal. Will the shrooms have problems if they only have a couple of hours of light per day?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Edited by frog_jo (11/02/09 12:49 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibletruskool
WTF?? FTW!!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Over the rainbow
Re: concerned about air circulation [Re: frog_jo]
    #11343094 - 10/29/09 12:45 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

well shrooms will grow in darkness but they grow better 12/12.  I would suggest fanning more for the constricted space of a box.  I think under the bed would be better

--------------------
Ask  AMU    for    the  best    mycology    advice  out  there

Roll it :burnone:While I troll it.  :maximumtrolling:

I don't mean to boast, but dam if I don't brag.

Invisiblemyco_mikey_mo
Mycologist For Hire
Male User Gallery

Loc: The PNW
Re: concerned about air circulation [Re: frog_jo]
    #11343099 - 10/29/09 12:47 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

its not advised to grow unless everybody is on board. but with that being said just fan them by hand multiple times a day. and the mushies should get AT LEAST 8 hours of light a day. more is better. anything less may decrease size and effeciency of the whole process. but hand fan and mist and you should be good

--------------------
-Give a man some mushies, He'll trip for a day...Teach a man to cultivate, He'll trip for a lifetime-
:thumbup:Self healing Tyvek and Silcone lids for Trade... PM :pm: me:thumbup:
:syringe:Looking for anybody with extra spawn bags for trade... PM:pm: me:syringe:

Invisiblemyco_mikey_mo
Mycologist For Hire
Male User Gallery

Loc: The PNW
Re: concerned about air circulation [Re: truskool]
    #11343103 - 10/29/09 12:47 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

truskool said:
well shrooms will grow in darkness but they grow better 12/12.  I would suggest fanning more for the constricted space of a box.  I think under the bed would be better

and under the bed would probably be best

--------------------
-Give a man some mushies, He'll trip for a day...Teach a man to cultivate, He'll trip for a lifetime-
:thumbup:Self healing Tyvek and Silcone lids for Trade... PM :pm: me:thumbup:
:syringe:Looking for anybody with extra spawn bags for trade... PM:pm: me:syringe:

Offlinefrog_jo
New Enthusiast

Re: concerned about air circulation [Re: myco_mikey_mo]
    #11343256 - 10/29/09 01:34 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I think I could definitely manage to fan them at least twice a day, and I can probably get some little push on / push off florescent bulbs and mount them under the bed so I can get light to them at least 8 hours a day.

Also, I've heard from multiple people that there is a lot of bacteria right near the floor. Will this have any effect on my growth? And what could I do to lower the risk of contamination?

OfflineSN122A
Tweaker

Loc: Flag
Re: concerned about air circulation [Re: myco_mikey_mo]
    #11343288 - 10/29/09 01:47 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

OK only one point of health...  As you are aiming for a ‘humid’ environment I would not suggest the bed.  Many people have health problems associated with minor humidity causing mold etc to grow in the mattress, this is part of the reason beds have envolved over the years to be at least a few inches off the ground.

I know from living in a leaky apartment I had this problem and ended up getting rid of the bed so yeh consider that if it’s not sealed.

Go for some DIY air in an empty cupboard or something :smile:

A cheap way I found to automate a small amount of airflow is grab a small plastic container (like only a few litres), a PC (12VDC) fan, salvage a little DC transformer from something (can be lower voltage) some tyvek, static charged wipes from supermarket, polyfill etc.

I just screwed the fan onto the outside with the mounting screws, sealed with silicon then put sequential layers of the polyfill (loose), anti static then lastly tyvek over an exhaust hole.

Thats it, its next to silent at lower voltage and a dodgy HEPA-ish type clean air supply. 

SO you can easily scale by adding pipes into monos/tubs etc, speed up for more air or grab a $5 timer and have it click on for 15min every now and again...

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale