Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineCoheed88
Amateur Failure
 User Gallery

Lib Lookalikes
    #11304530 - 10/23/09 06:07 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Hey guys, i went back to my normal spot to find it had been raped by someone else, and so my hunting took me further away through some pastures and moorland nearby. I found some more libs, but i also found a few shrooms that look a LOT like libs. But they look slightly different. Does anyone know of a site/gallery that has lib lookalik pics. I basically don't want to get ill from eating the wrong ones. I think i found some semiglobata, and psathyrella (spelling?), but there are a few others that i can't ID. They look like Libs, but they lack the nipple, and have a completed rounded cap.

Also found some mushrooms, that seem to match the characteristics of libs, yet they are dark brown. They have the sticky exterior and the nipple, and similar coloured stems.  Finally, found some mushrooms looking similar to libs, yet they have a redish/pink stem.

I've separated the ones i was not sure about. And im sorry about not pics. For the majority of spore prints they were brownish. Psytharella spore prints looks black.

If you can help. Thanks guys.

--------------------
You don't like yourself, but you admire yourself - it's all you've got, so you cling to it. You're so afraid that if you change, you'll lose what makes you special. Being miserable doesn't make you better than anyone else, it just makes you miserable..

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a Chemical Vacation
Re: Lib Lookalikes [Re: Coheed88]
    #11304554 - 10/23/09 06:21 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Well, "lookalikes" are a very individual thing. To me there are no lib lookalikes (I certainly wouldn't consider Stropharia semiglobata to be one), while to others the whole range of little brown mushrooms might be considered a lookalike.

--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

Invisiblespectralis
 User Gallery

#11304564 - 10/23/09 06:28 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Liberty caps go very dark brown after rain and turn creamishy white as they dehydrate, with the wiggly-waggly stem and nipple and turning cream as they dry out your probably only confused by the colour difference due to the rain?

Edited by German Kahuna (10/23/09 06:40 AM)

OfflineCoheed88
Amateur Failure
 User Gallery

Re: Lib Lookalikes [Re: spectralis]
    #11304572 - 10/23/09 06:35 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Yeh perhaps, i know that libs can go dark brown, but some of them are like black as night. Maybe disease? With regards to the red stems? Does anyone know what these might be?

Can libs have red stems?

Also having done a little bit more research, some of the others look like Psy Strictipes. I believe they grow in the uk, would they be the same habitat, and are they safe to mix with semilanceata? (high ground, day after rain, long grass with reeds (red spikey grass, cattle grazing, moorland).

--------------------
You don't like yourself, but you admire yourself - it's all you've got, so you cling to it. You're so afraid that if you change, you'll lose what makes you special. Being miserable doesn't make you better than anyone else, it just makes you miserable..

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a Chemical Vacation
    #11304576 - 10/23/09 06:40 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

They have hygrophanous caps. Many mushrooms show this kind of behavior. Psathyrella gracilis and Panaeolina foenisecii do, for example. Both could be considered to be lib lookalikes in a wider sense (I know I've seen both presented here as "lib finds" before), so that characteristic by itself is not a strong enough indicator.

--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

OfflineCoheed88
Amateur Failure
 User Gallery

Re: Lib Lookalikes [Re: German Kahuna]
    #11304591 - 10/23/09 06:49 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Ah yes. some of my find does seem to resemble P.F. Thanks GK

--------------------

Invisiblespectralis
 User Gallery

#11304665 - 10/23/09 07:18 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

they can go totally black if the rain has been heavy, they probably contain a few maggots too. With the pointy shape of the cap and wiggly yellow/white stem (occasionally blue at the base) you can't really go wrong.

OfflineCoheed88
Amateur Failure
 User Gallery

#11304828 - 10/23/09 08:08 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

what do you mean  by "wiggly"?

--------------------

Invisiblespectralis
 User Gallery

#11305146 - 10/23/09 09:34 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

'squiggly' ; wavy / bendy, all other small brown mushrooms I've seen in fields have a very straight stem

Edited by spectralis (10/24/09 12:49 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals