Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineGlacius
Lang
 User Gallery

Loc: Western Cordillera(Inverm...
Phylosophy of the "be nice" policy
    #1127940 - 12/10/02 04:38 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I just thought that you guys did a great job with that post. It doesnt just apply to this forrum, or any one specific thing at all. It is a universal law, that will make every aspect of human interaction and knowledge better. Basically to be open-minded is the most important thing in the world. Four hundred years ago, the earth was flat. Kind of makes you think, doesnt it?? What can we know?? Pretty much nothing, compared to what they're is to learn. We can only interpret our surrounding enviroment with different laguages to explain it. Like phylosophy, science.etc for example. The answer is always out there, it just need to be discovered. The be nice policy should be aplied to our daily lives as well. We are tougt this in school for christ sakes!! But they kind of contradict themselves a lot, but they mean well. Its just common sense to be open-minded. Like its sooooo obvious, yet a lot of people dont take it into consideration.

I think that people just kind of get carried away with they're opinion, and just start ranting about what they feel is "right", without realizing it might be hurting someone. They dont realize how serious the issue might be for other people. This is ignorance, and is wrong. Everyone is ignorant to a certain degree some point in there life, it is human nature. We must get past it, and realize the only way to advance ourselves is to love others. Anyone who is mean to other people, usually just hasnt accepted who they are yet. It is intention that counts. Would I be mad to get a shitty christmas present?? Of coarse not. Well, just kind of trailing off, if anyone has anything to say about this say it. Im not really going anywhere with it, cuz everyone knows what I am talking aboot anyways. Just thought Id mention it. Ok, i'll shut up now :smirk: 

--------------------
addicted to reason
a hollow understanding trapped me
I cannot see outside but its calling

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblelittlestan
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
The "be nice" policy; [Re: Glacius]
    #1130818 - 12/10/02 11:34 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I completely agree with your insight and opinion on the natural ignorance of people (including me). So when the option of voicing your opinion to millions of other people on the Internet, essentially connecting yourself to the rest of the world, naturally you risk offending other people's belief's/opinion.

Of course, simply being in today's society you are expected to associate with other people in a respectful and courteous way. Which means you must communicate using thought and, more often than not, proper sentence structure. Which brings me to my point.

When you post something for the rest of the world to see, you should be acting more on said thought process, not instinct. Which is a problem alot of people have out there; the emotional act of communicating alone is too much to handle. Thus they revert to "instinct". Offending other people's belief's and opinion, they lash out in uncontrollable ignorance, affecting other people's emotional stability or well being.

I would also like to see courses being offered in school to at least increase the awareness of such ignorance, but I don't think this is something that would improve greatly. Since ignorance is born within, to teach other people to control it would be folly. It is something they have to realize for themselves, unfortunately.

However, I digress. Thank you for the post Glacius, your insight is priceless.

Littlestan

P.S. Merry Early Xmas!

--------------------

OfflineGlacius
Lang
 User Gallery

Re: The "be nice" policy; [Re: littlestan]
    #1131135 - 12/11/02 04:54 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Thank you, you are very wise :smile:

--------------------
addicted to reason

Invisiblelittlestan
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
:) [Re: Glacius]
    #1131378 - 12/11/02 09:12 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

No thank you, without people like you in this world, ignorance would almost certainly reign supreme! Much love and the best to you for the New Year,

Littlestan

--------------------

Offlineupupup
guardian

Loc: George "I love Hitler" Bu...
Re: Phylosophy of the "be nice" policy [Re: Glacius]
    #1131388 - 12/11/02 09:18 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

right arm damn it...already enough crap out there without making it worse....it has always seemed weird to me that people on these boards especially (though not here) get so nasty to each other. I kinda get it though. It's like if there are no buttons to push then they aren't going to get pushed and if you got buttons to push then you probably ought to push them, BUT there will ALWAYS be buttons to push and life is hard enough so why try to annoy someone?
Makes no sense to me....

--------------------
Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have.

Invisiblelittlestan
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
re: upupup :) [Re: upupup]
    #1131445 - 12/11/02 09:53 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I second your opinion upupup. Your use of repetition actually makes sense to me! LOL Looking at it you wouldn't think so though... heheh. I completely agree with the fact that people could stand to be a lot nicer while still contributing their ideas/opinions in their own fashion.

Cheers all,

Littlestan

P.S. Merry Early Xmas upupup!

--------------------

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Re: Phylosophy of the "be nice" policy [Re: Glacius]
    #1131703 - 12/11/02 05:38 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

"I think that people just kind of get carried away with they're opinion, and just start ranting about what they feel is "right", without realizing it might be hurting someone. They dont realize how serious the issue might be for other people. This is ignorance, and is wrong."

Countless people here have commented on how their beliefs are based on what or how they feel. Personally, I think every viewpoint should be broadcast in here. No matter how nasty, cruel, or emotional. If someone comes in here and tells us he thinks all jews should be slaughtered, I want the chance to debate with him, and even call him an idiot if necessary. If a post degenerates completely into flames, and no ideas are being presented, then sure, lock it, but as long as there is actual debate, I think it should stay open.

The world isn't a friendly happy place filled only with loving nice ideas. People believe things that are offensive to others. People have philosophies that dictate that other people should be harmed, and these things need to be discussed.

Homophobia or racism, for instance, or even belief in god, stems from various psychological sources, and it's impossible to address the roots of these issues without directly offending the people who believe in them.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Edited by Phluck (12/11/02 05:42 AM)

Offline3eyedgod
trippinkid

Loc: Far away and very near
Re: Phylosophy of the "be nice" policy [Re: Phluck]
    #1132211 - 12/11/02 09:54 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I think every viewpoint should be broadcast in here. No matter how nasty, cruel, or emotional. If someone comes in here and tells us he thinks all jews should be slaughtered, I want the chance to debate with him,

If a post degenerates completely into flames, and no ideas are being presented, then sure, lock it, but as long as there is actual debate, I think it should stay open.

The world isn't a friendly happy place filled only with loving nice ideas. People believe things that are offensive to others. People have philosophies that dictate that other people should be harmed, and these things need to be discussed.

I'm with Phluck on this one. I think the mods do an excellent job of this in this forum

--------------------
Without everything wouldn't nothing be everything and without nothing wouldn't everything be nothing.I am the beginning and the end,the source and the void, the light and the darkness,i am but a small drop of the ocean yet i am an ocean unto myself

OfflineGlacius
Lang
 User Gallery

Re: :) [Re: littlestan]
    #1133156 - 12/11/02 04:03 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Happy new years to you too freind!!! :smile:

--------------------
addicted to reason

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder