Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineZigmat
Far Out

Panic attack?
    #11277304 - 10/19/09 01:10 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I decided to try and get some input for this since I'm starting to get a little worried...

Anyways, some background. I've been smoking herb for about a year and a half now, having had very few extremely frightening or paranoid episodes. I've never been a terribly anxious person or had a panick attack before.

Let's go back to about a week or two ago. I was at a concert with a bunch of my friends. As soon as i got there we smoked a joint, and started drinking some beer and some wine. The night was going great and about 2 hours later, i smoked another joint, shortly followed by a blunt-sized joint that a couple of friends rolled.

Fast forward about an hour (i was having a great time up until this moment). The band we went to see was about to play so we got closer to the stage, in the middle of the crowd. After a few song, i started feeling a little dizzy, which made me worry. I told a friend i was feeling rather bad, and a few moments later i started to faint. My body went quite limp, they had to catch me so i didn't fall, and they carried me out of the crowd to sit.

Now, i had eaten very little that day (virtually nothing at all) and had very little sleep the night before, so i attributed it to a drop in blood pressure cause by the weed and alcohol.

The following days i was still a little concerned of fainting again somewhere random, but i brushed off the thought. I even smoked a couple of joints in between and nothing happened (even tho the idea of fainting crossed my mind and worried me a little).

However, today (i haven't smoked pot for a week or so) i was coming home in the bus, and while sitting in my seat, out of nowhere, i got a little dizzy. Suddenly i got scared, was i going to faint there, in the bus? I began to sweat and get light-headed, and decided to try and get distracted with my cellphone, where i began to type random shit just to keep my mind away from the idea of fainting.

I hadn't eaten much today either, and the weather was kinda heavy (plus the bus was crowded), but it had never happened before (even in worse conditions), so I'm worried i'm starting to develop some sort of panic attacks.

Are those panic attacks? What the hell is causing them? What can i do to prevent them or help me relax if I'm getting one?

Sorry for the long read, i just need some input for this. Thanks!

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinepsychonaut52
Stranger
Male

Loc: The Amazon Jungle
Re: Panic attack? [Re: Zigmat]
    #11277494 - 10/19/09 01:38 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I'd be tempted to say it just sounds like you need to eat more, especially since you said you smoked after the initial experience and didn't faint, but the next time you began feeling faint, you say you also hadn't eaten much.

Did you also have trouble breathing? Feel like your heart was beating much more quickly than normal?

--------------------
"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment."
-Buddha

COGNITIVE LIBERTY NOW!

Invisiblestereolab
Wizard
Male

Loc: NY
    #11277522 - 10/19/09 01:42 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Pot made me have a minor panic attack once, which mostly consisted of me getting really anxious and it felt like my heart rate and mind were racing, and I thought something bad was about to happen, like an inability to breath or something.  Fortunately, it didn't, but I was still bugged out and for the rest of that night I could not fall asleep.

A few weeks ago I remember after smoking a lot, I started feeling really dizzy and even my vision was kind of obscured by a lot of blurred white light.

You accounts do not really sound like panic attacks, just dizzyness/fainting.  If you started to feel like your heart was really beating fast and then have a large wave of anxiety, that is more like a panic attack.  Of course you'll get some anxiety from the dizzyness, but I think if you got a panic attack, you'd be quite certain.  I was quite certain of my panic attack, and that was only a minor case.  Good luck, I hope things straighten out.  Sometimes combining alcohol and pot can be quite intense, I try to seldom do it in large doses of either.

--------------------
Space is
the Place
:aum:

Edited by stereolab (10/19/09 04:11 PM)

OfflineZigmat
Far Out

Re: Panic attack? [Re: stereolab]
    #11277588 - 10/19/09 01:54 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Breathing wasn't any harder at all, but my heart did start beating faster since i started getting scared and thinking i would faint right there in the middle of the bus.

What kinda leads me towards panic attack is the fact that as soon as i feel a little uneasy, i start getting worried about fainting and such, i start sweating and i really want to be somewhere else. Could also be that i get slightly dizzy and getting concerned about fainting and panicking just makes it worse.

The feeling goes a little like this: i get somewhat dizzy (like a little nauseous), then i immediately get concerned. A wave of "fear" (could be adrenaline or something like that) runs through my body. I feel as if my limbs are going numb, i start sweating, my heart starts pounding faster and i feel as if my vision could fade any second. I'm unsure if the dizziness causes the panic, or if the panic causes the dizziness.

Edit: Also, the more i think about it, the worse i feel. Getting distracted ultimately makes it go away, but if i start pondering on the thought again i feel it could come back any second.

--------------------

Edited by Zigmat (10/19/09 01:57 PM)

Offline2Cents
Male

Loc: PNW Flag
    #11277641 - 10/19/09 02:03 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I would most deffinitly tell you to eat more and you might find thats the problem.

--------------------
Long live the Shroomery!!!

InvisibleHiei
8======><=====8
Male User Gallery

Re: Panic attack? [Re: 2Cents]
    #11277873 - 10/19/09 02:44 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Sounds like you're very afraid of fainting. I know it's everything but pleasurable, but it's not that dangerous for you anyway.

Lay off the pot and try to eat more. Chocolate helps a lot!

this is from wikipedia:

Factors that influence fainting are fasting long hours, taking in too little food and fluids, low blood pressure, hypoglycemia, growth spurts, physical exercise in excess of the energy reserve of the body, emotional distress, and lack of sleep. Orthostatic hypotension caused by standing up too quickly or being in a very hot room can also cause fainting.

More serious causes of fainting include cardiac (heart-related) conditions such as an abnormal heart rhythm (an arrhythmia), wherein the heart beats too slowly, too rapidly, or too irregularly to pump enough blood to the brain. Some arrhythmias can be life-threatening. Other important cardio-vascular conditions that can be manifested by syncope include subclavian steal syndrome and aortic stenosis.

--------------------
◄►۞◄►

Edited by Hiei (10/19/09 02:47 PM)

OfflineZigmat
Far Out

Re: Panic attack? [Re: Hiei]
    #11278568 - 10/19/09 04:43 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I know it's nothing too dangerous, but the concept of fainting out of nowhere in the middle of a public place freaks me out a little.

And what scares me the most is that during the days following the incident, if i thought about what happened and how it could happen again, I'd start feeling the same way as when i fainted, but distracting myself i could brush it off.

Maybe I'm just overthinking this tho.

--------------------

OfflineZigmat
Far Out

#11279594 - 10/19/09 07:16 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Small update on this, i went out for dinner tonight with my family and for a while i started getting all these negative thoughts and thinking it was going to happen again, making me feel very uneasy (as in, feeling all those initial symptoms again) and scared. It eventually went away and i had a fine evening, but this is starting to concern me :confused:

--------------------

Offlineburgatory
Outlander
Male

#11279879 - 10/19/09 07:56 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah sounds like panic attacks, the dizzy feeling is a hallmark of a panic attack, like something in you switches on and you feel a bit like you're about to start rolling (like on pills)? I got these in conjuction with a psychosis, so keep that mind. I still get a little bit of a panic problem in big crowds which I'm pretty sure is part of my psychosis, which was caused by smoking weed and pills funnily enough. Maybe lay off the weed for a while there might be some neurological changes going on (any drug can alter brain chemistry when used over time).

Many antidepressants are used in small doses to prevent panic disorder.

You might be at risk for a psychosis, its genes that decide. Do you get feelings like people are putting ideas in your head or that you're being watched? (I might be jumping the gun here)

--------------------

Wherever the hero may wander, whatever he may do, he is ever in the presence of his own essence — for he has the perfected eye to see. There is no separateness. Thus, just as the way of social participation may lead in the end to a realization of the All in the individual, so that of exile brings the hero to the Self in all.

joseph campbell

For, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

jesus

OfflineZigmat
Far Out

Re: Panic attack? [Re: burgatory]
    #11280167 - 10/19/09 08:22 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Nope it's not that i feel afraid of people or get paranoid that someone might harm me or anything, it's mostly the fear of the fainting episode happening again, since it feels rather shitty and it would be embarrassing.

--------------------

OfflinePsychoPsilocin
Playboy
Male

#11280244 - 10/19/09 08:28 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Make sure to eat well. Also, drink a lot of water. Ensure that your nutritional needs are being met. A little bit of exercise may help.

Besides that, a good trip may help. Preferably without smoking weed.

Offlinetempingasashaman
\\\\\\\\////////\\\\\\\\
 User Gallery

Loc: under the rainbow
Re: Panic attack? [Re: PsychoPsilocin]
    #11280889 - 10/19/09 10:02 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I've fainted at a show once too. I had smoked a little earlier in the day, but the main thing was I hadn't eaten much that day either.

All was well until in the middle of a song I got woozy and dizzy and just passed out. I woke up and my buddy and the singer were over me looking me in the face. Really weird, they asked if they could keep playing and I said yeah. Then some guy gave me his vegan burrito and all was well.

Make sure you have food in you when you smoke. It's a bad combo to get stoned and be hungry, you really need food. Standing on your feet for long periods of time doesn't help either.

--------------------
the greatest use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it

Offlinepsychonaut52
Stranger
Male

Loc: The Amazon Jungle
Re: Panic attack? [Re: psychonaut52]
    #11282358 - 10/20/09 06:14 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

My experience with panic attacks (and to be fair, I've only had two) is that they start with overwhelming fear and a huge rush of anxiety (heart beating heavily, VERY short of breath, uncontrollable crying) rather than culminating with those. These panic attacks also happened before I ever started smoking pot.

When you went out to dinner with your parents, had you eaten much earlier in the day? Gotten at least 6 or 7 hours of sleep? Was it very crowded in the restaurant?

Try to remember as many details about when this starts happening every time, you might be able to find a pattern of what triggers your panic/fainting attack, whatever it is.

--------------------
"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment."
-Buddha

COGNITIVE LIBERTY NOW!

Offlinelobotomix
Stranger

Re: Panic attack? [Re: psychonaut52]
    #11312741 - 10/24/09 03:09 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I've had panic attacks for a certain period in my life.

I would become aware of my heartbeat and be suspicious about
it being too fast. My suspicion would make it beat faster.
Heart beating faster would make me a bit worried about this not being quite healthy.
Being worried would make my heart beat even faster, which lead to even more worry and eventually...
PANIC ATTACK!

So basically,
in my case what stopped me from having panic attacks again was that
during these moments where I would become suspicious of a high heartbeat...
I could no longer allow myself to worry about it.

You shouldn't allow yourself to worry or become affraid of fainting or heart attack
because this will make you heart beat faster and give you the panic attack you don't want have :smile:

It's possible to hyperventillate even without being scared...
simply because you allow your body to breathe faster and faster.
Hyperventillation can lead to panic attacks. If you hyperventillate,
try read up on the "buteyko method".
I didn't actually follow a course but i read a little bit on it that said that during hyperventillation
you should breath in shallow and not too long... and breath out loooong and deep.

That fixed my hyperventillation.

I would suggest to stop smoking weed,
even if you don't have panic attacks anymore.

Simply because smoke is bad for lungs...
and weed puts extra stress on heart... not supersuperdeadly... but not healthy either.

on those with pre-existing heart conditions that haven't yet started to become serious,
weed can be very negative!

Edited by lobotomix (10/24/09 04:46 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom