Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineribbit
up till dawn

homosexuality
    #1125687 - 12/09/02 04:49 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

no flames please,

i would like to get your honest opinion on this subject.

what do you think of it, why do you think people turn gay?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLlamanose
The llama knows

Re: homosexuality [Re: ribbit]
    #1125697 - 12/09/02 04:53 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I don't really care, although I tend to find gay guys annoying...  And raging bull dykes make me uncomfortable...  I don't know why people are gay, I imagine a lot are just born that way, others may have been abused, etc.

I don't care what people do in their own homes, I just don't wanna be hit on by some dude.  :tongue: 

--------------------
Alice came to a fork in the road.  "Which road do I take?" she asked.
"Where do you want to go?" responded the Cheshire cat.
"I don't know," Alice answered.
"Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."
~Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Offlineupupup
guardian

Loc: George "I love Hitler" Bu...
    #1125707 - 12/09/02 04:58 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Too many rats in a cage....

I think homosex is unbalanced. I don't know about right or wrong with the deal just unbalanced. Yin/Yang, positive/negative, we live in a dualistic world.

--------------------
Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have.

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

Loc: The Canadian west coast
    #1125853 - 12/09/02 05:34 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

what do you think of it, why do you think people turn gay?

They don't. Some people are gay.

I imagine a lot are just born that way, others may have been abused, etc.
I don't care what people do in their own homes, I just don't wanna be hit on by some dude.

I don't think it has anything to do with being abused, that's just a homophobic point of view. You fear people who are different and you don't want to accept that it's perfectly normal to be gay so you come up with an explanation that involves them being fuck ups. I think it's perfectly natural. There was a post somewhere on this forum I read the other day talking about a kind of baboon or something that has a high rate of homosexuality, so I don't buy that it's another way society corrupts people. Also I know at least two people with lesbian mothers, so it's not really a natural form of population control is it? Not to mention why would Canadians subconciously move towards controlling population density when there are so few people in this huge country? Some people have blonde hair and some have brown hair and that's that.

Last statistic I heard is that 1 in 20 people are gay.

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #1125859 - 12/09/02 05:38 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

The vast majority of the evidence points to it being something biological, meaning they are born that way. Some people have green eyes, some people are seven feet tall, others are attracted to their own sex.

There's nothing wrong with it. Nothing whatsoever. Some people are bigots though.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Re: homosexuality [Re: Phluck]
    #1125866 - 12/09/02 05:41 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I posted this in a different thread, someone asked why it's called 'homophobia':

For some people, it really seems like a phobia. Some people get extremely freaked out when they're around gay people, they flip out if a gay guy hits on them. The same people might have no problem politely brushing off an unattractive girl, but they feel the need to get really angry, sometimes even violent when the would-be suitor is gay. I'm not so sure if this is a phobia of gay people, or a phobia of being perceived as gay by their peers. Maybe they believe that if they don't frighten away the gay guy, and act as straight as possible, they might be brainwashed into actually being gay. I don't know for sure how their actions can be explained, but there's definately some irrational fear there.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #1125900 - 12/09/02 05:50 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I'll probably get flamed for this, but I really don't believe in homosexuality. There aren't any other animals having same-sex-sex...

I think some dudes who couldn't get any women got horney and just resorted to... "dating" eachother as a sort of last resort. Some people thought it was a great idea, I guess, so BOOM gays everywhere.

That being said, honestly I don't care if somebody's gay as long as they're not trying to force themselves upon me or something... hey as long as you're enjoying whatever lifestyle you're living, do whatever you want :-D I know several bi and gay people and they seem just as normal (other than their sexual "preference") as anybody else I know.

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Anonymous

Post deleted by Moe Howard [Re: Strumpling]
    #1125915 - 12/09/02 05:54 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Edited by Morrowind (12/09/02 05:54 PM)

OfflinePoogi
Stranger
Re: homosexuality [Re: Strumpling]
    #1125925 - 12/09/02 05:56 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Humans are hardly the only animal that has a homosexual population. It occurs all throughout nature. I think they're just born that way, as some people have said earlier. It's no different than eye color variation.

Edited by Poogi (12/09/02 05:57 PM)

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
    #1125951 - 12/09/02 06:02 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Personally I think it has something to do with the shift in consciousness that humanity has undergone in the past 50 years... I think that more and more people are being born "in the middle" so to speak... You get more feminine males and more masculine females (not just physically); more of a gender-less race of people because the qualities of each gender are becoming more outwardly expressed and accepted in the opposite one. And I think that this shift in consciousness combined with a still-existant prejudiced society causes people to become confused about their sexuality. :smile:

Or maybe it isn't as deep as that... :wink: I mean, I've seen animals turn gay when placed in environments where the only other animals are of the same sex. So homosexuality certainly isn't "un-natural", or limited to human beings. 

--------------------
:heartpump: { { { ṧ◎ηḯ¢ αʟ¢ℌ℮мƴ } } } :heartpump:

OfflineLlamanose
The llama knows

Re: homosexuality [Re: Dogomush]
    #1125952 - 12/09/02 06:02 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

I don't think it has anything to do with being abused, that's just a homophobic point of view

I know people are just gay, but you have to admit that there are some people out there who are gay because of abuse.  Like I say, I don't give a rats ass either way, but it happens.

Quote:

You fear people who are different and you don't want to accept that it's perfectly normal to be gay so you come up with an explanation that involves them being fuck ups.

Dag, yo!  Go easy...  I'm not homophobic, I think it's fine if someones gay.  I don't think they're fuck ups, but it's not like being gay is exactly the status quo...  Like you say 1 in 20 people, that leaves 19 straight people in the room.  I'm not looking for human-rights activist of the year here, just don't be so quick to paint me as homophobic and unaccepting from a 2 sentence post.  :tongue:   

--------------------
Alice came to a fork in the road.  "Which road do I take?" she asked.
"Where do you want to go?" responded the Cheshire cat.
"I don't know," Alice answered.
"Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."
~Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
    #1125960 - 12/09/02 06:04 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I am gay myself, and I just want to say that homosexuality is not a choice. 
At least for me it isn't.

I would give anything to not be gay.  Well, not anything, but I really wish that I wasn't.  It's hard to understand unless you are gay yourself, but living life as a gay person is very hard.  I can't imagine anyone actually choosing this lifestyle.  I'm sure that being gay these days is a little better than it used to be (because it is a lot more accepted), but it can still make life a living hell sometimes.

I am not sure what has made me gay, though.  As I look back on my life, there are a lot of personal experiences that could have made me that way.  Or perhaps I was always gay to begin with.  I have been attracted to men for as long as I can remember.  I still had girlfriends when I was younger, but I would have rather been with another male.

Because of the fact that I've known I was gay since I was very young, I am inclined to say it is something genetic.  Another theory that I have is that it is not caused by genes necessarily, but by something that happens during development in the womb. 

In some species of reptiles, the actual sex of the hatchlings is determined by the temperature that the eggs are incubated at.  I've also learned that temperature and other stimuli have a lot to do with the release of certain hormones during the development of a human fetus.  Perhaps if conditions are not quite right for some reason, the fetus will not get all of the hormones (or the correct amount of hormones) that it is supposed to, thus making it have hormonal imbalances later in life and possibly causing homosexuality.

The only thing I am sure of, though, is that it is not a choice.  I feel that discrimination against gay people is just as bad as discrimination against someone because of their race or ethnicity because these are all things that are beyond their control.  If you don't like gay people, stay away from them, but don't hate without reason. 

That's all! :smile:

-RebelSteve

EDIT:  Here is a good thread from a while back about genetics and homosexuality.

--------------------
Namaste.

Edited by RebelSteve33 (12/09/02 06:10 PM)

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
Re: homosexuality [Re: ]
    #1125967 - 12/09/02 06:05 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

the hypothalimus ( spelling? ) of homosexuals is greatly enlarged- but the size change is a disorder thing. Many people have chemical imbalances which cause the enlargement, and it is easily corrected in some cases

These "disorders" and "imbalances" are just things that disagree with pre-accepted boundaries. It's okay to evolve.

--------------------
:heartpump: { { { ṧ◎ηḯ¢ αʟ¢ℌ℮мƴ } } } :heartpump:

Anonymous

#1125998 - 12/09/02 06:15 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I definitely believe that the vast majority of homosexuals are born gay. Not all, but I think gayness does happen naturally. I don't believe it is immoral, or that being gay makes one any less than being straight. I've always felt this way, even though I sometimes call people fag or gay as an insult. That is a bad habit and I really shouldn't do it. My parents have friends who I've known my life who I just found out were gay in the last few years. And knowing them first as a person, and then as a homosexual really opened my eyes to the fact that all the bullshit people spout about gays is just that, bullshit.

BTW, Strumpling, you are wrong, homosexuality does exist in the animal kingdom. So try again. It is said that all bigotry is a product of ignorant hatred.

On another note though, there really is a small minority of people who act like they are gay but aren't (or something). They come off as exageratting the way they talk in a really, um, GAY way. And they wear turtlenecks and work at the Gap and sit around in bakeries chain smoking cigarettes and being depressed. No seriously though, some people just come off as exageratting their gayness to such an extent that it makes me wonder if they are actually gay or if it is some big facade and statement they are trying to make. These are the gay people who drive me nuts.

And people who quote the bible as being against gays are hypoctirical morons. They are the kind of people who take clips of the bible and raise them up and totally ignore other parts. Or hold up parts when it is convenient and ignore the same parts when it's convenient.

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Re: homosexuality [Re: Strumpling]
    #1126009 - 12/09/02 06:18 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

"There aren't any other animals having same-sex-sex..."

Making up facts isn't a valid argument. Homosexuality has been documented in tons of other animals.

"I think some dudes who couldn't get any women got horney and just resorted to... "dating" eachother as a sort of last resort. Some people thought it was a great idea, I guess, so BOOM gays everywhere."

If this were true, most gay men would be hideously ugly introverts. Lots of them are attractive, have female friends (many even have girlfriends for a while before coming to terms with their homosexuality), and very outgoing. If they wanted to, I'm sure they could get girls.

Why would people think it was a great idea? That's ridiculous.

I'm pretty damn sure I didn't have a choice in being straight. Women look attractive to me, men don't. All the gay guys I've talked to tell me the same thing, vice versa.

There's also lots of evidence linking various other biological traits with homosexuality. Finger length, etc...

A lot of gay men talk in a different voice. You know exactly what I'm talking about here. Do you think that they just decide to speak in a different voice once they change their mind and start dating guys?

--------------------

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
    #1126036 - 12/09/02 06:25 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

A lot of gay men talk in a different voice. You know exactly what I'm talking about here. Do you think that they just decide to speak in a different voice once they change their mind and start dating guys?

This is the case with me, and it is another reason why I feel that homosexuality is something biological. I hate having a "gay" voice because it obviously makes people suspect me of being gay. If I could change my voice I would, but your voice is your voice and there isn't much you can do!

--------------------
Namaste.

Anonymous

#1126038 - 12/09/02 06:26 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

There is little proof on either side of the arguement on whether or not people choose to be gay.

I believe it is a choice, just because I can't fathom a gene that would cause you to life the opposite sex. But I could be wrong.

Regardless of the cause, I really don't care. I grew up with people calling each other "fags" and "queers" and whatnot, and even came to the point where I thought I hated all gays. Turns out, when it really comes down to it, I can't hate someone because of some preferance they have - one of my best friends is a very obvious closet queer.

The only people, it seems, who care if someone chooses to be gay and actually make sexuality an issue, are some of the fundamentalist Christians who have a "duty" to save us all and the homosexual rights groups

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Re: homosexuality [Re: Anonymous]
    #1126156 - 12/09/02 07:00 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

"I can't fathom a gene that would cause you to life the opposite sex."

You can't? Why not? It's hardly implausible.

"There is little proof on either side of the arguement on whether or not people choose to be gay."

There's a difference between proof and evidence. There's lots of evidence supporting the idea that it's not a choice. There isn't any to back up the idea that it is a choice.

There are a wide variety of studies linking homosexuality to different phyisical traits. There's the 'voice', there's the fact that the vast majority of gay people say that they had no choice.

--------------------

OfflineGunboat
At the bottom ofJudecca

Loc: Toronto, Canada
    #1126229 - 12/09/02 07:19 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Homosexuality is definitely a congenital condition; you are either born with it, or you aren't.

Think about it... why would anyone want to be gay? Even if you did, how could you reprogram your brain to respond to different stimuli? It'd be impossible, I'd imagine, for most people. So unless you're a believer in a homosexual conspiracy theory or some such nonsense, turning gay at will is pretty much impossible.

As for how I react to gays... well, I'd take being hit on by a (gay) guy as a compliment, although I would have no interest whatsoever. I mean, if someone thinks you're good-looking, wouldn't you be happy? Although, this is what I suppose... I've never been hit on by a gay man. It's possible I could be repulsed or creeped out by it.

I have a gay friend, and I'm not a bleeding heart liberal, either. He's pretty fruity, wearing all sorts of clothes that would get you beat up on mean streets, but he never openly states he's gay, and I'm cool with it. He understands the essential axiom that people don't need to scream 'I'm gay and I'm proud' to feel secure in their sexuality.

I have no qualms with gays. They're gay; they can't help it. Let's treat them with the respect that any human being deserves.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I was recently on a tour of Latin America, and the only regret I have was that I didn't study Latin harder in school so I could converse with those people."
- J. Danforth Quayle

Anonymous

#1126267 - 12/09/02 07:28 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

My thoughts on gayity:

I don't care whether homosexuality is biological or a choice, If someones gay its cool with me. I actually think it is biological, cause I have a gay cat named Stimpy, hell he even looks gay, anyways we've had bunches of cats runnin around the house, and Stimpy always bangs the boys.  :grin: Hes my favorite cat, i couldnt be more proud of him. Just by the way he walks and such, friends have always wondered if he were gay,

I've always wondered if the extreme homophobes were gay themselves, ever seen that movie American Beauty?  :blush: :blush: :blush:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds