Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibledjshoo
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Late Casing ??
    #11238819 - 10/13/09 11:13 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Hi all,just wanna say what a cool site this is,I've spent hours searching & the info has been invaluable. :thumbup: I've been thinking of using the method of late casing,got this from Fahsters post & it looks like it really does the business.I'm still new to this hobby & as of now I have only attempted 2 grows,BRF cakes (with limited success) & WBS cased with 50/50+,this was done with the couple of cc's I had left over from innoculating the cakes.

For my next grow I want to attempt a bulk grow,I'll be using a shotgun terranium & a mono tub. I am going to spawn WBS to Hpoo & case both using the 50/50+ casing.
Now Fahster says to expose the sub to light from the time you lay it out to initiate knotting & pinning on the entirety of the sub. Once a few small pins have formed that is the time he applys the casing layer. Am I right in thinking that once the casing layer is applied you keep the tubs set for fruiting as the idea is not to have the casing layer colonised? This is the bit that I'm unsure about.Any help on this would be great.

Thanks guys. :smile:

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBrandNewbie
Captain
Male

Loc: U.S.A.
Re: Late Casing ?? [Re: djshoo]
    #11238884 - 10/13/09 11:28 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Those ARE pictures of a bulk grow...

Use a non-nutritive material for a casing layer. As an example; coco-coir has nutrients, therefore the mycelium will attempt to colonate it INSTEAD of fruiting, because the mycelium will not fruit as long as it has food to eat. More food = less than 100% colonization.

Vermiculite, however, offers the mycelium no nutrients. Therefore, it does not keep the mycelium from wanting to fruit.

Remember, a casing layer adds a micro-climate for young fruits, keeping the relative humidity high at the surface of the 100% colonized bulk-substrate.
:goodluck:

--------------------
Question: Why do women wear make-up and perfume? 
Answer: Because they're ugly and they stink.

OfflineThyrax
No way
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montreal, Quebec
Re: Late Casing ?? [Re: BrandNewbie]
    #11238910 - 10/13/09 11:34 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

what are these blue thing in your tray ??

--------------------

Invisibledjshoo
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Late Casing ?? [Re: BrandNewbie]
    #11239056 - 10/13/09 11:58 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Gonna case with peatmoss,verm & oystershell. The blue tubes are drinking straws,I think the sub,WBS & casing didn't have enough moisture content when I applied them & I ended up with a shitload of knotts but hardly any shrooms on the first flush,what your seeing is the 2nd flush.

1st flush. :thumbdown:

--------------------

Offlinexeallos
Sore wa himitsudesu!
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Woods of a Thousand Y...
    #11239409 - 10/13/09 01:02 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

You can dunk your whole subs just like cakes, no big deal. I believe the straws are a holdover from a "voodoo" tek I read on Mycotopia years ago, mainly intended for drilling down the center of cakes. Kinda ridiculous and nothing a good dunk won't take care of :yesnod:

After a few casing runs you'll get a feel for how it all shakes down, go with a mono and you won't be sorry :cheers:

Invisibledjshoo
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Late Casing ?? [Re: xeallos]
    #11239466 - 10/13/09 01:14 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

was gonna dunk but I didn't have much casing material left,what I had got I wanted to save to patch once I'd picked the shrooms,not that there are that many. Dunking can wash away the casing,just couldn't be arsed to knock some more up,just lazy I guess. :tongue2:

--------------------

InvisiblefahtsterM
Now With 33%More Faht
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #11251949 - 10/15/09 09:56 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Am I right in thinking that once the casing layer is applied you keep the tubs set for fruiting as the idea is not to have the casing layer colonised? This is the bit that I'm unsure about.Any help on this would be great.

Yes, that is correct... It's similar to the "Case and Place" idea.

A few things to remember in getting a nice even flush: Make sure your spawn is mixed up nice and evenly so that the substrate colonizes at the same rate all over the entirety of the mix.  The amount of time that an area is colonized also contributes to when that area will pin.

When you apply the casing, whether early (standard) or late, you also want that to be nice and even... if it's late, make sure it's thin and not overly saturated with water... slightly above field capacity is fine... some of that water will be absorbed by the substrate via gravity.

If you are having troubles getting the substrate to colonize at an even rate, you may want to check out layering the substrate instead of mixing the spawn and bulk substrate... you have a bit more control over how much substrate has to be colonized as you can see the thickness of each layer, imo anyway.

Good luck and I hope it works out well for ya. :thumbup:

Invisibledjshoo
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Late Casing ?? [Re: fahtster]
    #11253752 - 10/15/09 02:44 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Am gonna go with 4" sub with 1/4" light casing,gonna be using DT's now. Defo will be layering the sub now I've read up on it in your posts thanks Fahtster & thanks to all for the replys. :smile::thumbup:

Edited by djshoo (10/15/09 04:07 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags