Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineStoneheart
marginally conscious
Male User Gallery

Loc: Redneck Riviera PCB FL
just a thought on harvesting...
    #11218378 - 10/09/09 11:07 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

when i was very young and learning to hunt the elusive morels in the mid ohio valley, i was shown a few techniques that i believe are helpful when harvesting other species as well...  bear in mind that the fruiting body, or mushroom is only about one tenth of the life form, the majority being the mycelium, which is hidden underground.

while searching

1. watch where you put your feet... sounds simple enough but when one finds that first carpophore there is a tendency to rush in...  take a breath and enjoy the beauty...  observe the spot and surroundings...  then carefully approach and respectfully acknowledge the gift of nature, the primordial flower...

2. take a few steps and stop, scan and walk a few more steps...  after 10 feet or so, turn and look behind you... many times i have walked right past relatively large or numerous specimens that somehow appeared behind me...  remember every step in the woods opens an entirely new view...  take your time...

collecting and aftercare

i often see in pics here and elsewhere, entire clumps of mycelium ripped from the patties or earth...  and in some species this is understandable as the bulb may be important to identification but when collecting morels or let's say cubes, i have found that the cutting method works best for me... 

A) using a sharp pair of scissors cut the stem leaving at least 1 to 1& 1/2 inch sticking out.

B) i use nearby dung, soil, or leaves to cover the freshly wounded stems thus hopefully preventing drying out and killing the mycelium...

C) leave the old ones... the small ones, and leave some for others as well.... i was taught to never take all of what i find...  but i understand this is something for each individual to decide...

i have seen people walk through morel patches like a herd of wild hogs and the result was patches that had been producing for years were lost and did not return...  so far this season i have tried to pay particular attention to my harvesting techniques and i have had one pattie produce 4 flushes with no signs of stopping yet...i hope someone finds this helpful...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineIcelandicSojourn
Monist in Training
Male

Loc: Valleys of the Natives
Re: just a thought on harvesting... [Re: Stoneheart]
    #11218421 - 10/09/09 11:16 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for sharing.  I know I could definitely tread more lightly sometimes.

--------------------
Ne me parlez plus de politique
Je veux sauver ma vie    :peace:

Offlinethelaughingman
Bulbous Poopaloid
Male User Gallery

Loc: Central WA
Re: just a thought on harvesting... [Re: IcelandicSojourn]
    #11218799 - 10/10/09 01:06 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Yes, thanks for sharing, good information for the new hunter. Not big enough to be a sticky but could possibly be added into one.

OfflineStoneheart
marginally conscious
Male User Gallery

Loc: Redneck Riviera PCB FL
Re: just a thought on harvesting... [Re: thelaughingman]
    #11218830 - 10/10/09 01:16 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

thanks guys...  i figured if it helps one person in their pursuits then it was worthwhile...  i've been a mycophile since the mid 70's and i know sometimes i need a reminder now and then...

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies