Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibledoorfinger
tetris lego
Loc: outside
galerina weilii lookalike
    #11217192 - 10/09/09 07:05 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

a friend spotted a couple of what i believed to be immature galerina in a field not more than a couple feet from weilii. there was no wood, but, there could have been a buried log just under the grass. superficially, the two looked surprisingly similar and to an untrained or overly eager person, could prove fatal.

knowledge is the key to preventing this so i'm asking fellow members to give any detailed photos, descriptions, and differences between the two. such as spore print color and bruising as well as subjective differences that could aid in field identification, for example, smell, texture of the stipe. i didn't get a positive id so i didn't take pictures. but the thought of galerina being mistaken for weilii would be disastrous to everyone.

the information i found on google and the search was useful, yet, there still doesn't seem to exist a visual guide for the more uninitiated. i was neither able to find enough pictures nor am i qualified to compile such a guide. any help would be appreciated.

--------------------
singing tesla coils.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleIeponumos
Mycophile/Phytophile
Male User Gallery

Re: galerina weilii lookalike [Re: doorfinger]
    #11218968 - 10/10/09 02:11 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

doorfinger said:
a friend spotted a couple of what i believed to be immature galerina in a field not more than a couple feet from weilii. there was no wood, but, there could have been a buried log just under the grass. superficially, the two looked surprisingly similar and to an untrained or overly eager person, could prove fatal.

knowledge is the key to preventing this so i'm asking fellow members to give any detailed photos, descriptions, and differences between the two. such as spore print color and bruising as well as subjective differences that could aid in field identification, for example, smell, texture of the stipe. i didn't get a positive id so i didn't take pictures. but the thought of galerina being mistaken for weilii would be disastrous to everyone.

the information i found on google and the search was useful, yet, there still doesn't seem to exist a visual guide for the more uninitiated. i was neither able to find enough pictures nor am i qualified to compile such a guide. any help would be appreciated.

It might just be me, but I always thought the spacing between the gills was wider apart in a Galerina than in P. weilii, not to mention P. weilii's obvious blue bruising. Note, I have heard of Galerinas bruising black, so be wary.

--------------------
]

Invisibledoorfinger
tetris lego
Loc: outside
Re: galerina weilii lookalike [Re: Ieponumos]
    #11219796 - 10/10/09 09:04 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

yes. does anyone have any photos of a black bruising galerina to compare to blue bruising? is the black a jet black, almost like dark weilii bluing or is it more of a brown black?

--------------------
singing tesla coils.

Offlinemyco99
myconade
Male User Gallery

Loc: USS Eldridge
    #11220479 - 10/10/09 11:54 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Ieponumos said:
Quote:

doorfinger said:

It might just be me, but I always thought the spacing between the gills was wider apart in a Galerina than in P. weilii, not to mention P. weilii's obvious blue bruising. Note, I have heard of Galerinas bruising black, so be wary.

P. Weilii will also bruise deep, deep purple to black, not always blue.

--------------------
143/0x63/99...It's like watching the mycelium grow...
WARNING: You must be 21 years of age to experience hallucinations.

InvisibleIeponumos
Mycophile/Phytophile
Male User Gallery

Re: galerina weilii lookalike [Re: myco99]
    #11220497 - 10/10/09 11:59 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

doorfinger said:
yes. does anyone have any photos of a black bruising galerina to compare to blue bruising? is the black a jet black, almost like dark weilii bluing or is it more of a brown black?

I cannot find photos of the such. The source was actually rather recent. A person mention having seen G. marginata as having bruised black once. IF you have a bluing Psilocybe the blue can be almost cerulean with a greenish tint
Quote:

myco99 said:
Quote:

Ieponumos said:
Quote:

doorfinger said:

I've seen the blackish bruising (with lighter tints as well) and greenish bruising of weilii, but purple??? I've not seen any 'deep purple' or not what my eyes consider such.

EDIT: PLZ FIND ME A PIC OF THIS PLZ O PLZ O PLZ

--------------------
]

Edited by Ieponumos (10/10/09 11:59 AM)

Offlinemyco99
myconade
Male User Gallery

Loc: USS Eldridge
    #11220512 - 10/10/09 12:04 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Ieponumos said:
Quote:

doorfinger said:

I cannot find photos of the such. The source was actually rather recent. A person mention having seen G. marginata as having bruised black once. IF you have a bluing Psilocybe the blue can be almost cerulean with a greenish tint
Quote:

myco99 said:
Quote:

Ieponumos said:
Quote:

doorfinger said:

I've seen the blackish bruising (with lighter tints as well) and greenish bruising of weilii, but purple??? I've not seen any 'deep purple' or not what my eyes consider such.

EDIT: PLZ FIND ME A PIC OF THIS PLZ O PLZ O PLZ

Take a look at one of my finds.  Can you see the purple?

--------------------
143/0x63/99...It's like watching the mycelium grow...
WARNING: You must be 21 years of age to experience hallucinations.

InvisibleIeponumos
Mycophile/Phytophile
Male User Gallery

Re: galerina weilii lookalike [Re: myco99]
    #11220534 - 10/10/09 12:11 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

myco99 said:
Take a look at one of my finds.  Can you see the purple?

DUDE THANK YOU. I specifically thought not to expect the color purple on weilii. You proved my father right and myself wrong; this is definately a picture I'm adding to my P.  weilii morphological bank :laugh:. 5 Shrooms for you, sir.

--------------------
]

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag