Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Glow-in-the-dark mushrooms discovered
    #11186908 - 10/05/09 12:59 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Glow-in-the-dark mushrooms discovered
Freaky findings shed light on evolution of luminescence in nature
By Jeanna Bryner
LiveScience
updated 1:01 p.m. ET, Mon., Oct . 5, 2009

A newly identified luminescent fungus called Mycena luxaeterna was discovered in a forest in Sao Paulo, Brazil. The mushroom caps are tiny, under a half inch (8 mm) in diameter and the stems have a jelly-like structure. The glow is easier to observe at night (right).

As if teensy night-lights were dangling from tree trunks and branches, glow-in-the-dark mushrooms illuminate the forests across the globe. Now, scientists have discovered several species of such radiant 'shrooms.

The freaky findings, reported today in the journal Mycologia, increases the number of aglow mushroom species from 64 to 71, shedding light on the evolution of luminescence in nature.

The newly identified mushrooms, which emit a bright, yellowish-green light 24 hours a day, were found in Belize, Brazil, Dominican Republic, Jamaica, Japan, Malaysia and Puerto Rico. They include four species new to science and three new reports of luminescence in known species.

"If daylight was not so bright you could see them during the day, but the greenish-yellow light does not stand out against daylight so we cannot visualize them," lead researcher Dennis Desjardin of San Francisco State University told LiveScience. "But take them into a dark room at any time of day, and wait until your eyes adjust to the darkness, and you'll see them glow very nicely."

Here are some of the highlights:

Found on sticks in an Atlantic forest habitat, Mycena luxaeterna is tiny, each cap spanning 0.3 inches (8mm) in diameter, with jelly-like stems. (The species' name, which means "eternal light," was inspired by Mozart's "Requiem.") One psychedelic-looking mushroom, called Mycena silvaelucens, was found on the bark of a standing tree at the Orangutan Rehabilitation Center in Borneo, Malaysia. Each mushroom cap measuries just over a half inch (18 mm) in diameter. So-called Mycena luxarboricola was collected from the bark of a living tree in an old growth Atlantic forest in Paraná, Brazil. Each cap measures less than 0.2 inches (5 mm) in diameter. (The species' name, which means "perpetual light," was also inspired by Mozart's "Requiem.")

Three quarters of glowing mushrooms, including the newly identified species, belong to the Mycena genus, a group of mushrooms that feed off and decompose organic matter.

Brian Perry / University of Hawaii
Discovered on the bark of a standing tree in Borneo, Malaysia, this new glow-in-the-dark mushroom called Mycena silvaelucens emits a yellowish-green light throughout the day, though it's easier to see at night (right).

"What interests us is that within Mycena, the luminescent species come from 16 different lineages, which suggests that luminescence evolved at a single point and some species later lost the ability to glow," Desjardin said.

He and other scientists still have many questions about such glow-in-the-dark fungi, including how and why they light up. They know the luminescent process is similar to that of glowing bacteria and other luminescent organisms. For instance, the glowing involves a luciferin-luciferase mediated reaction that emits light in the presence of water and oxygen. But they are not sure of the exact chemical compounds involved in the reaction.

As for why, Desjardin says some fungi glow to lure in nocturnal animals that aid in the dispersal of the mushroom's spores, which are similar to seeds and are capable of growing into new organisms. Fungi, along with plants, animals and protists are considered eukaryotes by biologists, meaning "true kernel," due to the packaging of the genome into the membrane-bounded compartment called the nucleus. (Simple bacteria and archaea, which lack a cell nucleus, are considered prokaryotes.)

To date, Desjardin has discovered more than 200 new fungi species, including a phallic mushroom.

This research was supported by the National Science Foundation and the National Geographic Society.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33179052/ns/technology_and_science-science/

--------------------
http://heffter.org

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinexTJx
Male

Loc: Arizona
Re: Glow-in-the-dark mushrooms discovered [Re: motaman]
    #11187002 - 10/05/09 01:13 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

That is pretty cool

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
Re: Glow-in-the-dark mushrooms discovered [Re: xTJx]
    #11187062 - 10/05/09 01:25 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

To date, Desjardin has discovered more than 200 new fungi species, including a phallic mushroom.

meaning.....PE?:shrug:

--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
Click here ^ for the AMU forum
VVV AMUs Free Active/Edible/Exotic Spore Print or Syringe or Edible Culture Trade Thread VVV
"Man is the sex organ of the machine world" ~  Marshall McLuhan

Offlinehighdroponics
Professional Deadhead
Male User Gallery

Loc: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy Flag
Re: Glow-in-the-dark mushrooms discovered [Re: 13shrooms]
    #11187169 - 10/05/09 01:49 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Now if only someone can find glow in the dark psilocybes.

--------------------
Dr :ronpaul: says to stop trying to treat the side-effects of big government and focus on the core issues. End the Federal Reserve/audit the gold reserves at Fort Knox, abolish the IRS, end all wars and occupancies, stop the building of an empire that will inevitably fail, and cut all unconstitutional federal programs. Put the power back in the peoples' hands by ending this nanny-state.

OfflineVibes
Good Vibes
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: Glow-in-the-dark mushrooms discovered [Re: highdroponics]
    #11187349 - 10/05/09 02:26 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

That is awesome.:awesome:

--------------------
:mushroom2:Good Vibes:mushroom2:

Offlineshivathedestroyer
Stranger-Danger
Male

Loc: Seattle
Re: Glow-in-the-dark mushrooms discovered [Re: Vibes]
    #11187361 - 10/05/09 02:27 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

how hard would it be to make psilocybes do that? ya know through genetics and shit?

--------------------
FUCK THE NAYSAYERS.

This account is for entertainment purposes only, none of the processes here actually occurred.

OfflineCap Stemson
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Glow-in-the-dark mushrooms discovered [Re: Vibes]
    #11187367 - 10/05/09 02:28 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

We NEED to get some edible, psychoactive, glow in the dark shrooms. Talk about a sales pitch! :tongue:

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Loc: The North
Re: Glow-in-the-dark mushrooms discovered [Re: Cap Stemson]
    #11187552 - 10/05/09 02:59 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I doubt psilocibe species have bioluminescence, so you would have to somehow crossbreed the trait into them. This would likely be extremely difficult and time consuming. Also afterward it would be possible that the luminescence would degrade after death and preservation.

The possibility of a luminescent edible mushrooms sounds like the closest possibility. However I have my doubts that luminescent species are by and large edible, never mind good for you or tasty.

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
- Author and former M6/M5 agent John le Carré on Democracy Now.
Conquer's Club

Offlineflamingcap
Hashassin
Male

Loc: Outside, taking your shro...
Re: Glow-in-the-dark mushrooms discovered [Re: motaman]
    #11187632 - 10/05/09 03:15 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

soon every household will replace electric lighting with fungal luminescence :grin:

--------------------

"War doesn't determine who's right, only who's left."

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Re: Glow-in-the-dark mushrooms discovered [Re: flamingcap]
    #11187756 - 10/05/09 03:33 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

something tells me LEDs are cheaper and brighter.

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
Conquer's Club

OfflineMagick
Thinker
 User Gallery

Re: Glow-in-the-dark mushrooms discovered [Re: ScavengerType]
    #11188576 - 10/05/09 05:15 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

We've known about bioluminescent mushrooms for a long time. It's nothing new.

But hey I would love to grow some and keep em in my room =) That would be 'the' coolest night-light on the face of the planet.

Anyone got spores of a bioluminescent species? Preferably one possible to cultivate indoors? If so :pm: :smile: That sounds like somethin I'd like to try.

Offlinerenji
Stranger

Re: Glow-in-the-dark mushrooms discovered [Re: Magick]
    #11188838 - 10/05/09 05:51 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

thats simply amazing

Invisiblemister
Nature nut
 User Gallery

Re: Glow-in-the-dark mushrooms discovered [Re: renji]
    #11188928 - 10/05/09 06:08 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

:vaped:

--------------------

:mushroomgrow::mushroomgrow::mushroomgrow::mushroomgrow:AMU Q & A thread:mushroomgrow::mushroomgrow::mushroomgrow::mushroomgrow:

InvisibleBirdsIView
Mr. Helms
 User Gallery
Re: Glow-in-the-dark mushrooms discovered [Re: mister]
    #11188953 - 10/05/09 06:13 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I just want to know why it took so long to find em!

OfflineShroomerRoss
Male

Re: Glow-in-the-dark mushrooms discovered [Re: BirdsIView]
    #11189018 - 10/05/09 06:21 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

pretty trippy looking.

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Re: Glow-in-the-dark mushrooms discovered [Re: BirdsIView]
    #11189348 - 10/05/09 07:07 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

BirdsIView said:
I just want to know why it took so long to find em!

You want to wander around the amazon at night?

--------------------
Conquer's Club

OfflinePMasterPoo
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Glow-in-the-dark mushrooms discovered [Re: ScavengerType]
    #11189712 - 10/05/09 08:03 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

This is kind of funny, and brought me a flash back.  Last time I tripped I had A LOT and puked them up from nausea, I was puking up my mushrooms in a dark room and the mushrooms were glowing in the dark(really I was just tripping at this point, but it still looked cool).  HAHAH

Invisiblemozhual
Amateur Omnologist
 User Gallery

Loc: New England
Re: Glow-in-the-dark mushrooms discovered [Re: Magick]
    #11190345 - 10/05/09 09:24 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Same here. Glowing shrooms would be the coolest novelty shrooms to cultivate.

--------------------
"Nature is like a sculptor constantly improving upon her work, but to do so she chisels away at living flesh." H.K. Bloom

"Is God willing to prevent evil but not able? Then he is not omnipotent...
Is he able but not willing? Then he is malevolent...
Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him god." Epicurus c. 300 BCE

"When I brought up the fact that 'No drug is good or bad, they're all just A drug, what someone does with them determines the postive or negative outcome. Look at medicine, those are drugs' Reponse was that 'well medicine solves problems' well so does LSD." -Learningtofly

Offlinejcyril23
Consciousness Cultivator

Loc: Colliefornia
Re: Glow-in-the-dark mushrooms discovered [Re: mozhual]
    #11190402 - 10/05/09 09:31 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

ive seen these species before in NWP cali by tah coast, Really interesting during a trip...:mushroom2:

--------------------
Join The TruthDeoxy.org
Erowid.orgis a member-supported organization providing access to reliable, non bias, non-judgmental information about psychoactive plants, chemicals, and related issues

InvisibleRonPaulVerm
Piss Christ
Male

Re: Glow-in-the-dark mushrooms discovered [Re: jcyril23]
    #11190632 - 10/05/09 10:06 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

this isn't really new i don't think. Definitely saw this online a year ago

--------------------
Spawn I Have: Blewitt, Reishi, Maitake, Chicken of the Woods, Parasol, Shaggy Mane, King, Blue and Gold Oyster, Shiitake, King Stropharia, Lions Mane, Almond Portabello, Elm Oyster, Phoenix Oyster, Nameko, Enoki, White Beech,

Spawn I Want: Corcyceps Sp., Cauliflower Mushrooms, Agaricus species (Portobello), Pink Oyster, Piopinno, ...anything else you might have

Primitive Skills                                     

Any information I've posted is only related to fictional purposes. I do not advocate growing any illegal mushrooms 
...I DO advocate learning about
Law Enforcement Against Prohibition

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale