Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineNoteworthy
Sophyphile
 User Gallery

Here is something for science to try to explain!
    #11147975 - 09/29/09 12:53 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

They didn't teach me this at school... in fact I only found out about this on YouTube...

Saturn has a giant hexagon on its north pole, that is rotating. This hexagon is absolutely massive and defies the known principles of aerodynamics.

Please someone representing a sort of skeptical atheist position needs to do something about this.

It is just so bizarre

Explanations are wanted

standing waves are the most likely candidate, but to suggest that it is the answer is premature - such wave patterns have not been modeled before.

-Infared capture

-a recreated image

check it out on the tube

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Loc: Under the C
Re: Here is something for science to try to explain! [Re: Noteworthy]
    #11148013 - 09/29/09 01:00 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

someone representing a sort of skeptical atheist position needs to do something about this.

Why do they need to? And how is a hexagram anti-God or pro-God?

--------------------

OfflineNoteworthy
Sophyphile
 User Gallery

Re: Here is something for science to try to explain! [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #11148148 - 09/29/09 01:47 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

'need' in the sense of 'I want'

--------------------

Offlinetyler_0_durden
Stranger

#11148213 - 09/29/09 02:11 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Noteworthy said:
'need' in the sense of 'I want'

Why don't you want perspectives from all sides? That gives you the most balanced answer.

I mean, I'm no atheist, but I just watched Religulous with Bill Mayer and I found it to be incredibly biased...he cut out a lot of things and only chose to include stupid people in his documentary. I could've debated an existence of God logically for hours with him. The unified force? Hello? Infinite energy, underlying all of matter, which really could not hold at all without this force holding atoms together and repelling opposite forces? The nuclei of a single atom would be the size of a tree on our Earth in comparison to the entire universe. This force, exists in ourselves and also non-sentient objects. Also, quantum information can travel faster than the speed of light, so as our bodies decompose, our information that made us who we are spreads out, and thus takes on a stronger quantum state as tissues decompose into individual molecules, which decompose into individual, separate atoms, which can exist everywhere at once, which would be a good description of "God". It's like a strobe light. Think of each atom like a strobe light. You have it flicker into existence in this universe as well as all the other infinite number of universes, at all times. The force underlying your very being, after you die and decompose, would return to this very tiny, fundamental force. Sounds like what I would call "God" to me, but people always criticize me on my views, even though I combine modern physics and science with my belief.

I would say it's some sort of wind disturbance on Saturn that creates fractals, just like a lot of other things we see in our universe.

--------------------
"As a man who has devoted his whole life to the most clear headed science, to the study of matter, I can tell you as a result of my research about atoms this much: There is no matter as such. All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force which brings the particle of an atom to vibration and holds this most minute solar system of the atom together. We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent mind. This mind is the matrix of all matter."  --Max Planck

OfflineNoteworthy
Sophyphile
 User Gallery

Re: Here is something for science to try to explain! [Re: tyler_0_durden]
    #11148232 - 09/29/09 02:15 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I would like to hear more about these fractal wind patterns that you speak of, and less about stuff that you wrote about in another thread

--------------------

OfflineBrainChemistry
Captain Obvious
 User Gallery

Loc: Mountains of N. America Flag
    #11148249 - 09/29/09 02:18 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I think you've got a lot of interesting theories there....

Care to share any reading material?

--------------------
Word to your mom.

Offlinetyler_0_durden
Stranger

#11148276 - 09/29/09 02:26 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Think of it as a hypnotizing visualization. It keeps repeating itself over and over and over again. I have no idea how wind could create it, but apparently some crop circles that have fractal-like designs could possibly be created by strong winds. Most crop circles are created by humans, like mazes or simple geometric patterns...But a group of humans cannot create a fractal-looking object overnight that can be seen from high up in the air.

There are eyewitnesses to some of these crop circles, that take on VERY intricate designs. And they are made overnight.

I don't know why you want to shut your brain off to some information. All information is relevant to reaching a valid hypothesis. And yet, a lot of people think God is some muscular bearded dude in the sky. Probably like you would picture God, and that's why you're atheist? I'm just taking a guess, I'm not trying to offend you in any way. I have just noticed that about a lot of people on these forums, that they insist that God is what religion made him out to be. Not so. It's what science is currently close to proving. That's what it is. A unified force that exists in all matter...even though "matter" is hardly real anymore. It has no definition, no shape, no existence, until this unified force comes into play. I mean, if you think string theory is logical, you would have to think that there's an individual force inside of you, that makes you who you are, because its at certain frequencies that strings vibrate that create different particles. And we are made of those particles. The vibrations of the strings shouldn't change if we are all comprised of virtually the same genome. I don't think it's bullshit at all.

--------------------
"As a man who has devoted his whole life to the most clear headed science, to the study of matter, I can tell you as a result of my research about atoms this much: There is no matter as such. All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force which brings the particle of an atom to vibration and holds this most minute solar system of the atom together. We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent mind. This mind is the matrix of all matter."  --Max Planck

OfflineNoteworthy
Sophyphile
 User Gallery

#11148290 - 09/29/09 02:32 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Are you talking to me?
Quote:

I don't know why you want to shut your brain off to some information. All information is relevant to reaching a valid hypothesis. And yet, a lot of people think God is some muscular bearded dude in the sky. Probably like you would picture God, and that's why you're atheist? I'm just taking a guess, I'm not trying to offend you in any way. I have just noticed that about a lot of people on these forums, that they insist that God is what religion made him out to be. Not so. It's what science is currently close to proving. That's what it is. A unified force that exists in all matter...even though "matter" is hardly real anymore. It has no definition, no shape, no existence, until this unified force comes into play. I mean, if you think string theory is logical, you would have to think that there's an individual force inside of you, that makes you who you are, because its at certain frequencies that strings vibrate that create different particles. And we are made of those particles. The vibrations of the strings shouldn't change if we are all comprised of virtually the same genome. I don't think it's bullshit at all.

--------------------

OfflineBrainChemistry
Captain Obvious
 User Gallery

Loc: Mountains of N. America Flag
    #11148300 - 09/29/09 02:36 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Haha I don't know why you ramble the way you do tyler, but I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

:super:

--------------------
Word to your mom.

InvisibleFractal_Infinity
Smile Once in a While
Male User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Over the Rainbo...
    #11148527 - 09/29/09 04:43 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Scientists theorize the hexagon is an example of cymatics caused by radio waves being emitted from Saturn. It's a very interesting phenomenon. This video is a demonstration of cymatics using sound waves being projected through a metal plate.

InvisibleLakefingers
Re: Here is something for science to try to explain! *DELETED* [Re: Noteworthy]
    #11148534 - 09/29/09 04:46 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Post deleted by Lakefingers

Reason for deletion: "

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

#11148639 - 09/29/09 05:38 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

...But a group of humans cannot create a fractal-looking object overnight that can be seen from high up in the air.

Wrong! Please don't post your delusions as factual. Thank you.

--------------------

OfflineNoteworthy
Sophyphile
 User Gallery

Re: Here is something for science to try to explain! [Re: Lakefingers]
    #11148654 - 09/29/09 05:42 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I see what angle you are taking lakefingers but I don't think it is a prime example here.

Firstly, fibonacci sequences occur very frequently in all sorts of ways - hexagons only occur (other than saturn) in crystals and insect hives, where shapes have been conformed into regularity due to limited options.

Secondly, the hexagon is not interesting because of its visual appearence - there are lots of strangely 'thoughtful' shapes in the universe. The interesting thing is that it is a hexagon on a massive scale that is rotating very quickly in a set of clouds which themselves are moving smoothly and concentrically. With that amount of drag (or alternatively, that level of synchyronisation in the wave patterns standing in the clouds), one ought to see some complementary phenomenon.

oh and theres a hotspot on the pole. ie, the hottest place on saturn is the hexagon.

weird shit going on, my fellow earthlings

--------------------

OfflineNoteworthy
Sophyphile
 User Gallery

Re: Here is something for science to try to explain! [Re: Lakefingers]
    #11148660 - 09/29/09 05:44 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I see what angle you are taking lakefingers but I don't think it is a prime example here.

Firstly, fibonacci sequences occur everywhere - hexagons only occur (other than saturn) in crystals and insect creations.

Secondly, the hexagon is not interesting because of its visual appearence - there are lots of strangely 'thoughtful' shapes in the universe. The interesting thing is that it is a hexagon on a massive scale that is rotating very quickly in a set of clouds which themselves are moving smoothly and concentrically. With that amount of drag (or alternatively, that level of synchyronisation in the wave patterns standing in the clouds), one ought to see some complementary phenomenon.

oh and theres a hotspot on the pole. ie, the hottest place on saturn is the hexagon.

weird shit going on, my fellow earthlings

--------------------

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

#11148689 - 09/29/09 05:56 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I guess you are going to keep it a secret as to why you think atheism is relevant to exploring this phenomenon.

Don't bring stuff up if you aren't willing to discuss it. :nonono:

--------------------

OfflineNoteworthy
Sophyphile
 User Gallery

#11148709 - 09/29/09 06:03 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

don't suggest that you are willing to discuss things just because youre willing to find one loose phrase to pick on.

I mentioned atheism simply because various people take this as a symbol of the creator. I do not agree with that position, but out of tradition, it is the place of the atheist to refute them.

one refutation is - No! you cannot infer god simply because something seems more marvelous than your calculations can predict.

but thats just always given.

another refutation is - to show that what seems beautiful and humanised is actually just something that ought to be that way according to laws which themselves are much less beautiful and humanised.

The latter refutation is the one that I am waiting and searching for.

--------------------

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

#11148769 - 09/29/09 06:28 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

don't suggest that you are willing to discuss things just because youre willing to find one loose phrase to pick on.

Your loose phrases are not to be discussed and it is the reader's job to detect which are not loose? :rolleyes:

In future posts, please use different colors and highlight the important stuff in red.

Quote:

I mentioned atheism simply because various people take this as a symbol of the creator.

Other people's delusions or origin stories have nothing to do with extra-planetary meteorology. Try again.

--------------------

OfflineGrapefruit
Freak in the forest
 User Gallery

#11149061 - 09/29/09 08:15 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

If we can't explain it god must have done it! :thumbup:

--------------------
Little left in the way of energy; or the way of love, yet happy to entertain myself playing mental games with the rest of you freaks until the rivers run backwards. 

"Chat your fraff
Chat your fraff
Just chat your fraff
Chat your fraff"

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Re: Here is something for science to try to explain! [Re: Grapefruit]
    #11149082 - 09/29/09 08:20 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

That is the default position, like when I tried to explain to my wife how the babysitter got pregnant.

--------------------

OfflinexFrockx
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northeast
    #11149321 - 09/29/09 09:29 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Noteworthy:

Asking a "skeptical" person for an explanation for a natural phenomena is sort of contradictory, don't you think?

This isn't exciting unless you believe in science too much, its just one more thing to look at.  Just because science can't explain it doesn't mean its special.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order