Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisibletiny_rabid_birds
Nocturnal
 User Gallery

Loc: estados unidos Flag
i carved a wooden chillum
    #11130014 - 09/26/09 06:22 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

think this'll be safe to smoke out of?  i used beech, which is a hardwood.  i made one yesterday but made the mistake of using pine, a soft wood which i didn't know at the time.  then while doing research today, i realized that pine is in fact a soft wood and no bueno.

the bowl is a decent size.  about 1.5cm diameter, and about 2cm deep.

overall length i'd estimate at 3.5-4" (like 8-10cm), and total diameter about 1" (2.5-3cm).

i'll probably soften out the shape a little bit, smooth up the bare area.  but that's going to remain the basic shape.  i made it using a saw, pocket knife, metal file, and an old fashion hand drill with two different bits (and a table clamp to keep it in place while drilling).  took maybe an hour and some odd minutes to get it to this point.  it's some hard friggin wood.

i didn't bring a piece with me on my travels, and there's no place around here to buy one, so i though "fuck it", and made it myself.  i think it'll work just fine for smoking whatever herbs i may come across.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSimisu
taken by gravity
 User Gallery

Loc: Israeli in Flag
Re: i carved a wooden chillum [Re: tiny_rabid_birds]
    #11130026 - 09/26/09 06:29 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

nice man, but do you have anything to stick inside? like some elongated stone?

i've been trying to make a didge from a two meter agava, i got it all cleaned up and ready only to find out i took out too much and it's unplayable (took me weeks)
its a long story but now i'm starting on a smaller one and might actually produce something ok.

enjoy man, i like this spirit!
it's much better to do things on your own, very rewarding!

--------------------
:mushdance::sanpedro::peyote::mushroom2: :heart: Shr:supershroom::supershroom:mery :heart: :mushroom2::peyote::sanpedro::mushdance:
      Visit & Support Free Spore Ring Earth
      :sun: Please help spread live Salvia Divinorum :sun:

Nocturnal
 User Gallery

Re: i carved a wooden chillum [Re: Simisu]
    #11130030 - 09/26/09 06:32 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

stick inside it?  i'm not sure i follow.  i've never smoked from a wooden piece.. and i've certainly never made one.  so i was really just playing this whole thing by ear.

what would be the purpose of the long stone? 

and yes, even though this is painfully simple, it does feel quite rewarding.  :smile:

--------------------

InvisibleSimplicitry
Just another mushroom lover
Male

#11130046 - 09/26/09 06:43 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Nice work man. I am a wood carver myself, and a pothead to boot, so I can connect to this on a couple different levels.

I think that as long as it's not treated wood, and by looking at those pictures it's obviously not, you'll be fine to smoke whatever you want out of that thing.

I would google it or something just to make sure, but I can't imagine untreated wood doing any real harm.

--------------------

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

I think we should cut all the social parasites from their welfare checks. Then they will either find a means to support themselves or starve to death, either of wich is good for the economy and society.

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal."

"Islam in a man is worse then rabies in a dog"

InvisibleSimisu
taken by gravity
 User Gallery

#11130050 - 09/26/09 06:44 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

the chillums i know are made of clay and come in two pieces the tube and the stone... it took me time to find a picture like this with google and in the end the picture came from the shroomery lol

from this thread

--------------------
:mushdance::sanpedro::peyote::mushroom2: :heart: Shr:supershroom::supershroom:mery :heart: :mushroom2::peyote::sanpedro::mushdance:

InvisibleDango_Bill
Seven
Female User Gallery

#11130051 - 09/26/09 06:44 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

That doesn't look anything like beech to me. The bark is too thick, and it looks like it's the wrong color & texture.

Beech has more greyish bark, like this -

Nocturnal
 User Gallery

Re: i carved a wooden chillum [Re: Dango_Bill]
    #11130069 - 09/26/09 06:52 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

haha.  then i have no idea.  i thought it was european beech, but i could totally be wrong.  regardless, it's a much harder wood than the pine, so i think it'll be fine.

and simisu.. i see.  i suppose i'm not very well informed on the correct use of a chillum.  i had intended to simply use it as a bowl, essentially.  i was even considering drilling a carb hole.  also i think i made this one too fat to be able to hold between my 2nd and 3rd fingers

--------------------

InvisibleSimisu
taken by gravity
 User Gallery

#11130211 - 09/26/09 08:13 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

so basically you made a pipe :tongue:
that's also a good thing!

as for the way to smoke it and the way to hold....
you should use some kind of cloth on the mouthpiece and holding it that way usually incorporates some kind of cloth held tightly on the mouthpiece. and of course not smoking straight from the chillum is better since it burns less (and it BURNS in my experience)

the stone is there to hold the stuff and act as a cooling agent also, more surface area to filter the heat and some of the shit...

once you smoke it you'll know whether you've done good or not, no other way about it and then it makes no difference how you call it :grin:

enjoy!!!

--------------------

InvisibleSimisu
taken by gravity
 User Gallery

Re: i carved a wooden chillum [Re: Simisu]
    #11130218 - 09/26/09 08:20 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

p.s take a look at the chillum smoking TEK down there at the similar threads

--------------------

OfflineTaco Chef
I found dead John Cheever
Male User Gallery

Loc: the city of dis
    #11130271 - 09/26/09 08:47 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

cool, trb, cool.

--------------------

Invisiblesubject
eat the sun
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Humboldt
Re: i carved a wooden chillum [Re: Taco Chef]
    #11130307 - 09/26/09 09:02 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

sweet chillum. Even if it is soft wood, you can still smoke out of it, just dont let the bowl get cherried too hard. I have made chillums out of all sorts of random wood. some works better than others. I still love my simple bamboo chillum. Handmade chillums dont last forever, eventually the hole in the bowl gets burnt and widens too much. but thats when you get to have fun and carve another.

my friend used to make some really awesome clay chillums like the ones used for smoking charas in india. they last way longer and are really awesome to smoke from.

--------------------
nappy then, nappy now, nappy for a bit
knee deep head over heals in this country shit

Nocturnal
 User Gallery

Re: i carved a wooden chillum [Re: subject]
    #11130368 - 09/26/09 09:19 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

from PinballWizard's tek:
Quote:

3. Place chillum between index and ring finger, make a circle with your thumb and index finger, and place mouth on hole. Use your other hand to seal any cracks.

what happened to the middle finger? :confused:

--------------------

Nocturnal
 User Gallery

#11130392 - 09/26/09 09:27 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

i just put it between the middle and ring like old dude above.  i think i got it.  problem is, i haven't got anything to smoke yet to know if i have.  also, when i do have something to smoke, i'll be smoking solo and will need to light the bowl with each hit, so i don't really know if i can do it proper style.

--------------------

InvisibleSimisu
taken by gravity
 User Gallery

#11130403 - 09/26/09 09:32 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

:shrug:

but that big picture is the way... he uses the other hand to pump the chillum...

this thread is making my miss my chillum... not that i've smoked it more then once or twice but being away from my perefenelia (sp?) and nostalgic is no fun!

--------------------

Invisiblesubject
eat the sun
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11130411 - 09/26/09 09:34 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah smoking like the indians is pretty hard but once you get it will turn some heads. it will make you reak of ganja smoke though....

the friend I was talking about actually went to india for 9 weeks and camped out with all sorts of people. the most memorable being this guy:

He is a sadhu who calls himself ganesh. my friend told me that this mad smokes upwards of an ounce of charas a day from his pipe.
also everytime before he would light his hash he would yell a chant at the top of his lungs :
"dishiwa bom bolinot
24 hour full power
no toilet no shower
chai chillum chapatti chelo parvati
no life no wife no honey no money no college no knowlege"

--------------------

Nocturnal
 User Gallery

#11130426 - 09/26/09 09:39 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

hahaha.  what a fucking hero.

--------------------

Invisiblesubject
eat the sun
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11130440 - 09/26/09 09:42 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

yeah man my friend said india was fucking awesome. he managed to aquire 400 grams of indian hash for 300 american dollars. he also got a chance at making charas with some people and said the charas plant grows litterally everywhere in the area he went (the Parvati Valley). he did manage to smugg a good bit of the charas back and it was fucking delectable. payed for his entire trip that way.

--------------------

Nocturnal
 User Gallery

#11130551 - 09/26/09 10:10 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

shit man.  now after having made this thread, i want to make a proper chillum.  i think i might do that tomorrow.  like 6 or 7 inches long, hollowed out like a big long funnel, rather that like the bowl it is now. 

why not?  i haven't got jack else to do tomorrow.  the only problem is i don't know when i'll ever have any quantity of herb or hash that i could justify using a bigass chillum.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds