Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisiblePluth
The Man of The Hour
 User Gallery

ID request.
    #11119183 - 09/24/09 01:25 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I saw these while I was walking to class underneath some pine trees.  I am wondering if they are active and/or safe to eat.

Habitat: Pine trees.  Found where dead needles had accumulated.  They were not in any sort of colony, the bigger one was picked about 20 feet from the small one.

Gills: The gills are white.

Stem: Yellowish with a tint of white.  The base is enlarged and the stem is pretty strong.

Cap: Dark, almost golden yellow in the center and gets lighter as the color nears the edge of the cap, little warts everywhere, about 3 inches in diameter

Spore print color:I haven't taken one, but I will if it is necessary.

Bruising: No color change was observed.

Thanks for any help!

--------------------
I do not, nor will I ever manufacture or distribute a substance which is illegal in any country.  Anything I post is purely for entertainment and scientific research purposes.  It is all theory.  Nothing I post is serious and it is generally nonsense.  With that said, LEO's can go to hell.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblekoraks
Re: ID request. [Re: Pluth]
    #11119258 - 09/24/09 01:41 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Amanita amerimuscaria. Too bad the pics are so blurry. It is psychoactive, but in an altogether different way than psilocybin-containing mushrooms.

OfflineAgent 47
Male

Loc: Western PA Flag
    #11119263 - 09/24/09 01:41 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

It's hard to tell from the pictures. See if you can get a clear shot of the base of the stem.

InvisiblePluth
The Man of The Hour
 User Gallery

Re: ID request. [Re: Agent 47]
    #11119309 - 09/24/09 01:49 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I just took some more pics that are clearer (I had to figure it out on my camera) and will upload them very soon.  Gotta resize them.

Invisiblekoraks
    #11119318 - 09/24/09 01:51 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

:thumbup:

OfflineAgent 47
Male

#11119324 - 09/24/09 01:52 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Pluth said:
I just took some more pics that are clearer (I had to figure it out on my camera) and will upload them very soon.  Gotta resize them.

Nice, we'll be waiting, you should be able to get a definitive ID when you do that.

InvisiblePluth
The Man of The Hour
 User Gallery

#11119389 - 09/24/09 02:00 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Here ya go!  Oh, and if I do get a positive ID, what is the best way to consume these guys?  How much should I eat?  What is the trip like?  Do I need to dry them or can I eat them right away?

Thanks for all the help!  There are more where I found these, so if I like them, I'll go pick some more.

Edited by Pluth (09/24/09 02:03 PM)

OfflineAgent 47
Male

#11119439 - 09/24/09 02:09 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

It appears as if there are/were concentric rings around the base. However, this specimen is a slightly different than the ones I have come across.

It resembles Amanita amerimuscaria to me.

Edited by Agent 47 (09/24/09 02:12 PM)

InvisiblePluth
The Man of The Hour
 User Gallery

#11122688 - 09/24/09 10:53 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I am bringing this back to the top because I do not want to die, therefore I am looking for more confirmation.  Thanks to anyone that can help.

I might eat these no matter what next week. 

I live in Ohio right now, so I am going shroom huntimg on Saturday, I will post pictures after the trip.

Peace!

Offlineamilibertine
It’s good to be back!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northern South Midwest
Trusted Identifier
    #11122735 - 09/24/09 11:01 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Pluth said:
I am bringing this back to the top because I do not want to die, therefore I am looking for more confirmation.  Thanks to anyone that can help.

I might eat these no matter what next week. 

I live in Ohio right now, so I am going shroom huntimg on Saturday, I will post pictures after the trip.

Peace!

To eat an unconfirmed Amanita species is incredibly fucking stupid.  You do know there are DEADLY Amanita's right, and they grow in Ohio.  Wow, please don't eat unidentified Amanita's. :facepalm:

--------------------

OfflineAgent 47
Male

Re: ID request. [Re: amilibertine]
    #11122834 - 09/24/09 11:14 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

amilibertine said:
To eat an unconfirmed Amanita species is incredibly fucking stupid.  You do know there are DEADLY Amanita's right, and they grow in Ohio.  Wow, please don't eat unidentified Amanita's. :facepalm:

Yeah, the more I look at it I keep picking up details that seem off. I don't know, maybe I looked at it for too long.

Strong indica is not usually my thing but wow, it took me a half hour to make this post.  :blazed:

Offlineamilibertine
It’s good to be back!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northern South Midwest
Trusted Identifier
    #11122867 - 09/24/09 11:19 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Yea, I'm far from an expert but something doesn't look right about the volva in the third pic?  Maybe it's just because it's young?  It just irritates me that people would be so careless. Also, I'm willing to bet the OP thinks he's gonna trip off A. Muscaria like he would off some psilocybin mushrooms.

--------------------

InvisiblePluth
The Man of The Hour
 User Gallery

#11122980 - 09/24/09 11:42 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I just said that shit for tactical reasons.  This thread was dying and I just wanted to know if this mushroom was legit.  I would never actually eat this thing unless I knew for sure that I would be safe.  I apologize for any false alarms.  Also, I have tripped off psilocybin mushrooms before.  I know that the kind of trip I would get from these shrooms (if the are legit) would be a completely different experience. 

If anyone needs any kind of information about these things, I would be happy to give it out if it would facilitate a positive ID.

Invisiblekoraks
    #11123865 - 09/25/09 05:10 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

amilibertine said:
Yea, I'm far from an expert but something doesn't look right about the volva in the third pic?

This species obviously does not have a volva. There are, however, concentric rings around the base of the stem in this pic:

Maybe that helps a bit. I have no doubt that these are a. amerimuscaria. If you want to be sure, you could contact Rod Tulloss: http://mushroomobserver.org/observer/show_user/242 Or perhaps send one of the other TIs are PM before contacting Rod.

Quote:

Also, I'm willing to bet the OP thinks he's gonna trip off A. Muscaria like he would off some psilocybin mushrooms.

I think I quite clearly mentioned the difference in my first post in this thread. Chill, Winston :wink:

Offlineambc
mycominded
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Trusted Identifier
Re: ID request. [Re: koraks]
    #11123980 - 09/25/09 06:41 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Pluth, read some trip reports on the effect of this mushroom if you confirm it to a level of certainty that you feel comfortable eating it, and plan on doing so. You would be well advised to consult people who have consumed the species from the area where you live and found it. Do some research  , because active amanitas can contain a great amount of variation in levels of muscarine and other chemicals from different locals, and even from mushroom to mushroom within the same region. You will want to be sure that the "trip" that it will send you on is one that you actually want to go on.

--------------------

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: ID request. [Re: koraks]
    #11125195 - 09/25/09 12:33 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

This species obviously does not have a volva. There are, however, concentric rings around the base of the stem in this pic:

It does have a volva, and the volva has concentric rings on it.

See http://www.pfc.forestry.ca/biodiversity/matchmaker/glossary/TUVWXYZ_e.html#volva

OfflineTheShroomanizer
Stranger-Danger

Loc: The Swamp
Re: ID request. [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #11125765 - 09/25/09 02:09 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

a. amerimuscaria in my opinion. Notice any staining? particularly red? or yellow? And i believe i read in "the North american guide to hunting Fly Agaric" that the 2 closest look-alike to aminita amerimuscaria do not contain amatoxins. Which is what kills you or is extremely bad for you. Still if you have any questions, or a little voice is saying "dont eat it", then i wouldnt...Aminita isnt the species to play personal guess and check with.

--------------------
Trading Prints

-Nature gave us one tongue and two ears so we could listen twice as much as we speak-

InvisiblePluth
The Man of The Hour
 User Gallery

Re: ID request. [Re: TheShroomanizer]
    #11128119 - 09/25/09 09:14 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I have noticed that the stem has turned a little more yellow since I have picked/handled it.  I hope that counts for something.

--------------------
I do not, nor will I ever manufacture or distribute a substance which is illegal in any country.  Anything I post is purely for entertainment and scientific research purposes.  It is all theory.  Nothing I post is serious and it is generally nonsense.  With that said, LEO's can go to hell.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder